Interesting pack dynamics...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interesting pack dynamics...

Post by whynot9 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:44 pm

It was interesting to see how the pack dynamics worked. Especially the members of the pack who aren't dominant, like Indigo's mother. We heard about maternal females with DarkRiver, and how they are critically important members of the pack, but it was really nice to see how and why that is with the scenes with Tarah. Also interesting that with hierarchy being the foundation of the pack, how Drew manages to stay out of it (the hierarchy) without causing that foundation to crack. I have to admit to being more of a DarkRiver person than a SnowDancer person, so I was kind of thinking I'd have trouble getting into this book, but Drew was so awesome it was easy. Smile (And woo hoo Walker and Lara!)

whynot9

Back to top Go down

Re: Interesting pack dynamics...

Post by cheebee on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:21 am

Drew's place in the hierarchy was interesting, and a bit of arrogance on Indigo's part to assume that she couldn't be with Drew because she was just SO much more dominant than him.

cheebee

Back to top Go down

Post by whynot9 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:56 am

My college age daughter reads these books too, and is in the middle of PoP. She couldn't quite get what Indigo's hang-up was about Drew being less dominant, because he's not :that: much less dominant. I tried to figure out how to explain it, and ended up with the "dominance is a scent" idea, and that Indigo smelled a lot like whatever that scent is, and any male close to her in dominance would too, but Drew, because he's less dominant, smells less like that scent than Indigo does. Which causes her wolf problems. Her human has problems because of Adria, and yeah, because she's a little arrogant. I think that arrogance kind of goes along with being dominant whether someone's male or female. It's more annoying in some characters than in others, for me. In Mercy it wasn't so bad, but it was a little in Indigo (and Vaughn, at first, and Clay, too, and also in Devraj, although, yeah, not a changeling, but still arrogant as hell!)

I did LOVE it when Mercy dropped the bomb on Indigo's wolf by telling her Drew wasn't finished growing, in terms of dominance, so he might end up more dominant than her. I really hope he does Smile

whynot9

Back to top Go down

Post by cheebee on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:43 am

I'm positive he'll be more dominant.

cheebee

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherine on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:56 am

cheebee wrote:Drew's place in the hierarchy was interesting, and a bit of arrogance on Indigo's part to assume that she couldn't be with Drew because she was just SO much more dominant than him.

I her aunt was the hangup. Adrea (sp?) more dominant than Martin and their relationship is a miserable one. Indigo did not want that for herself. Noway, no how, not a chance. And that's why she kept pushing Drew away.

Katherine
Admin

http://nalini.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rageane on Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Dominance isn't like a scent...it is an instinct that is inherent of the animal. Dominance is the trait that makes others follow the orders that have been given by the one which holds it. If you are an independent AND dominant female, would you be happy with a male who isn't equal to you? It was Indigo's wolf that drives the dominance, and yes it is what gives those who have it human arrogance too...Take this into consideration...How many real life relationships have gone to a Love/ Hate type relationship because the woman is more independent than the man would like? Add in the wolf dominance and it is a VERY delicate balance to find the proper mate who will accept someone who is more than they are...especially when the one who has more is seen as the weaker sex regardless of human or animal.

Rageane

Back to top Go down

Post by degdelta on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:05 am

i think a human equivalent is when a woman makes more money than a man. some men can handle it, and even relish it (and may even take advantage of it).

some men don't care, and don't even pay attention (a confident individual - much to be desired)

some men are threatened and have to assert their "superiority", usually by some kind of abuse, starting with verbal.

Indigo's prime example was #3 and she was, understandably, unwilling to fall into that pit fall.

degdelta

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum