The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

+25
Elisabeth
Lulu2011
TheFLuff
Bella171901
Sycorax
KTL
Grainne
BlueQueen
monadh
FashionSparkles
kitarad
catikins
Daliah
Sarah18
tabitha
devilsworld
Nicole
MissRia
Nina
Rageane
Schainize
Serena
Patricia
TracyTheOncer
twixter_tea
29 posters

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. - Page 2 Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by Schainize Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:02 pm

Patricia wrote:Schainize - I read FAUST II in my free time.. *awkward moment* BUT .. I didn't like it, because it felt like Goethe wasn't into it. He let everything fall into place to make the story work. So Faust forgot everything? Well, that worked out just fine, right? And this stupid ending with the use of the Konjunktiv? Oh goddamnit, I did that when I was FIVE! T.T

Perhaps Goethe was a little to much into it? After all Fausts story was the work of his entire life and at the end of this life he perhaps had been thinking too much about the fate that Faust should see. Goethe was known to write biographical aspects of his own history into his work and he was already very old when he wrote the Tragedy to an end. I don't know...seems kind of hard to wrap up a hole life in a single fictional character...

I'm impressed that you read FII in your spare time. I do that really only with my students and go soft in my private life when it comes to literature - wherein Murakami it certainly to be described as simple, his novels are really the epitome of crazy.
Very Happy Shocked
Schainize
Schainize

Back to top Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. - Page 2 Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:09 pm

I think I didn't 'say' it right. Yes, he was into it "too much", but meh! It felt too easy. Yes, everything was tragic, bla. BUT in the end it worked out. Although he made one mistake after another, although he almost sold his soul to the devil.. In the end the message was this stupid "Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt". It felt like Goethe was trying to convince himself. Neutral
I think I simply disliked it because I hate books that give me some hope. I'm kinda bitter. To me the perfect ending would've been something like.. Gretchen torturing the hell outta Faust while Mephisto was standing next to her, laughing his ass off. (Yes, would be a bit OOC, if Gretchen did something like that, but still..)
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Oh and I read it because my teacher.. Well, she's pretty awesome and she said that she didn't like Goethe, but she .. hm, how to put it, respects? yeah, well, respects what he wrote. After we finished Faust I and wrote our exams, I wanted to know how the story ends. I looked it up and she also told us, but I never got the 'feeling' if you know what I mean. So I started reading it.

Murakami.. What did you like best? Might order a book or two. Smile
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:19 pm

I really liked "Mister Aufziehvogel","Hard Boiled Wonderland und das Ende der Welt" and the new one, 1Q84
Serena
Serena

http://serenareads.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Schainize Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Patricia wrote:I think I simply disliked it because I hate books that give me some hope. I'm kinda bitter. To me the perfect ending would've been something like.. Gretchen torturing the hell outta Faust while Mephisto was standing next to her, laughing his ass off. (Yes, would be a bit OOC, if Gretchen did something like that, but still..)

What the heck...thats kind of...I don't know...sad?
But I can't say that I see the OOC on every level, you characterised Mephisto very well. Did I mention that he's my favorite character in the whole story? Very Happy

Patricia wrote:Murakami.. What did you like best? Might order a book or two.

I really loved "Naokos Lächeln", "Gefährliche Geliebte" and "Sputnik Sweatheart". If you want to find an access to Murakami, IMHO it's certainly good to read these books in that order.

Serena wrote:I really liked "Mister Aufziehvogel", "Hard Boiled Wonderland und das Ende der Welt" and the new one, 1Q84

I've toyed with the idea of reading "Hard Boiled Wonderland und das Ende der Welt". Can you recommend it?
Schainize
Schainize

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:46 pm

I can recommend it, altough I needed a little time to orient myself because of the two stories which seem to have nothing to do with each other. I'm a huge fan of dystopian stories like "Hard Boiled Wonderland und das Ende der Welt". Maybe you should borrow it from a library, then you won't be disappointed if you don't like it that much.
Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Schainize wrote:What the heck...thats kind of...I don't know...sad?
But I can't say that I see the OOC on every level, you characterised Mephisto very well. Did I mention that he's my favorite character in the whole story? Very Happy

What is sad? Ah, Mephisto. He was my favorite character, too. I'm still wondering why but after a while I'm getting all lazy and stop thinking about it. If I don't know it right away I won't REALLY know it later anyway. Very Happy But, huh, yes, he's not OOC, but Gretchen torturing Faust? Would be Kick-Ass, but she's SO. NOT. Kick-Ass.

You know, some of my (mostly female) classmates said something like: Urr, Faust's a pedophile, he'd really deserve it to go to hell! He's such an asshole, getting her preggers! Blablabla. And when we talked about Hugh Heffner in philosophy? They all made faces. BUT most of them were reading Twilight, ALL of them saw the movie and again most of them LOVED Edward. WHERE THE FUCK IS HE ANY LESS CREEPY THEN FAUST OR HUGH? x___x
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:55 pm

He isn't. Edward is just looking better and YOUNGER so they tend to forget that he is in fact over a hundred years older than Bella. Hugh Heffner is just...gross.
Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:59 pm

And what about this stupid scene where he basically rubbed his nose against her like he had the flu? That was so awkward!

Okay, so .. um.. I'm going to calm down now.. xD
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm no fan of Twilight, so I find it awkward. The whole series.
Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Serena wrote:I'll think about it. I don't know if I want to start reading a series when I know that I probably won't like the later books. Grrr. Sometimes I really should stay clear of spoilers. Anyway, I've ordered two books and the pile next to my bed is growing to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I need two extra hours added to my day!

I would still recommend it as a whole. The third book, Lover Awakened, is one of my absolute favorite books, as its very emotional & the hero is like a major headcase, lol. But the ending is soooo happy. =) Ummm, the first two weren't all that great, but they are readable. I liked Lover Avenged a lot too, which is a later book. They are all decent enough, except for this last one which was subpar. I would try the third one, then decide if you want to read the rest. You can still follow it, even though it's out of order, by reading a few synopsis of the first two.
TracyTheOncer
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:30 pm

The second one was cute, too!

I loved this one scene where Butch said something like.. "Even Hollywoods feet were beautiful." And I loved how he loved Mary. How much he would sacrify for her.. soo awwwr *_*
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:33 pm

That is true....So yeah, maybe read the second one, then the third. ;-)
TracyTheOncer
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:42 pm

How comes I almost always love the third book the best? Zsadist; Judd; before Eclipse's released: Eclipse, because I really thought the Twilight-mania would stop then..
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:47 pm

There's truth in that! Zsadist and Judd are both my favorites too. LOL, about the Twilight thing! I liked it when I read it (back in '05, before it was popular), but then it became popular & I started to not like it (as I didn't think it was good enough to be SO popular). Is that wrong of me? It's hard to explain...
TracyTheOncer
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:06 pm

I know what you mean. I read it back then too and kinda liked it.. Much.. Okay, So I was about 14, I think I can forgive myself. But the more popular it became, the more I disliked it.. BUT I think I would've disliked it anyway, because afterall the story is.. stupid. The more books I read the more I noticed how.. weird the story truly was.

Which vampire would go to school? He doesn't NEED to go, why would he want to, after, what? Like 100 years going to schook everyday? More than that, why would Rosalie, who really doesn't seem to be the person who'd like to be around humans? And if they go to school to feel and look normal, why do they keep their distance? They would look more normal if they wouldn't go there at all.

Which vampire would fall for a girl like Bella? First thing: Her name. I liked Zsadists Bella. Because she had this strong character. But Edwards Bella? When I heard her name I thought about a British Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle. Mostly about their ears. I dunno..
Second: Her personality. Or the lack of it? I don't know. So yes, she loves everyone. Nice, I give her that. She's too stupid to walk and talk at a time. Soo attractive. She looks completely normal, does her homework, hates Maths and STILL gets B+/A-, etc pp. She reads books that are (almost) older than Edward. But what is there about her that would make someone fall for her? She's a victim, goddamnit! Ah, I see, he can't read her thoughts. Nice. All Sookie Stackhouse, that guy. (Withouth all the 'aints' and 'y'all's..)

Which vampire who claimed to love someone would leave this someone completely unprotected? I mean, seriously, I know it worked out for the plot, but Edward WOULD HAVE made sure she was safe. Some stupid cameras or whatever. But no. He left. Yay.

And then there's still this fucking scene where he rubbs his nose all over her like she's blowrag. MHE! Creepy!
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:19 pm

That's the thing with the series: It sparked my interest in PNR & other books in general. For that, I owe Stephanie Meyer. Before reading Twilight, I only read what I had to read in school (I actually didn't start Harry Potter until after Twilight for some reason....Otherwise, I'd be thanking her....HP is so much better, so I'd rather be thanking Rowling but whatever.). The books at my high school had no appeal for me. I think my favorite was A Tale of Two Cities and that was it. We only read the "classics" and never got to pick what we wanted to read for school.

Then, I was a sophomore in college and in Economics class (blah). I see my friend, a complete bookworm, reading Twilight. I'm all, "What's that about?" She's all, "It's about a girl who falls in love with a vampire. It's so romantic & good!" I'm thinking, "Sounds interesting." Side note: I loved watching Buffy growing up and had major unresolved issues regarding the whole Buffy & Angel thing....I'm thinking, "Hmmm, this book could fill my Buffy and Angel happy ending need, lol." And thus, I read it & history is what it is....However, once I started reading a lot more, I realized how flawed the writing is in comparison with other books. Nevertheless, it did fill some of my Buffy & Angel unrequited love void, lol.
TracyTheOncer
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:37 pm

I could .. well, that's how it happened. The Buffy-thing. The no books before that. The Harry Potter thing.. The books afterwards.. Except one thing: I was still in high school. xD

Even now I 'like' The Host. But Twilight? No. Can't stand it anymore.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:50 pm

You make me feel old Patricia. ;-)
TracyTheOncer
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:30 am

I'm sorry grams, but you know what they say: As long as you keep the youth in your mind, you don't really age. Right? ;p

Truth is, it's easier to read books like KoS etc. when you're 18, 19 etc. than hm, 15. My teachers and classmates wouldn't get it and REALLY liked to say that it's not age-appropriate. The thing is: Why? There are thousands of things out there I cannot NOT see, why wouldn't I be able to read a book? It's so stupid.

Anyway, when you start talking to yourself (about the good old times, food or random things).. only THEN are you getting old (or shizophren[ic?, goddamnit]). Till then, don't worry. Very Happy
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:52 am

I'm also a big fan of HP, but I never truly forgave J.K. for killing Sirius Black, because I couldn't see why his death was necessary for the story. In my opinion it wasn't and the way he died was just...lame. I mean, if he has to die, then it should be in style and not by falling through a stupid archway. Even if it's the archway of death.
I know, I'm ranting.

Argh, I'm often talking to myself....I think I should start to worry. Very Happy
Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:18 am

I loved him but I think it was, considering his personality and history, a good way to go. First of all, Harry grew up. He saw so many people die, his parents are dead.. BUT he never knew those parents. It's not really a loss. Sirius was the one who could've been his father or at least godfather. And his death was like a sacrifice that made Harry see how cruel the world can get. I think the whole series is about loss, grief, pain etc. And how you have to handle with it. Also, if Harry had've kept his focus he would've been able to get this mirror-thing. This way he could've contacted Sirius. But what did he do yet again? Jump into the water, just like Sirius always did and what did it get him? A dead Sirius. Way to go, Harry.

The way he died. Well, again. He was a fighter, he jumped right into the water without checking out what's in there. And for him to fall through that thing? SUCH. IS. LIFE.
He was my fav character (well, I have some daddy-issues, you see..) but I think it was.. right.
Also, what would've happened if he lived longer? Might be the story wouldn't have worked out if he WAS alive.

Dunno if you read The Hollows by Kim Harrison but I always thought that if.. ah, no names.. um, so if this one character, lets call him Jim, if Jim would've survived, the story couldn't have been told, because a. it's about Rachel's lovelife plus b. they were perfect for eachother. There was no way for him to go out of her life that wasn't OOC. The only way was dying. Here you go Gerard Butler, Ugly Truth it is.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:42 am

Perhaps, but I'm still not quite convinced. I can deal with people dying when it's necessary for the story. Actually I hate it when authors let people survive who better died but in my opinion this wasn't the case with Sirius. I would've found it better if he died in the end. Ah, well it's no use ranting about it.
Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:52 am

I'm not convinced either, even if I stated those things above. xD I can tolarate the fact that he died when he did, but I would've liked it much better if he didn't die. But then I'd also like to have a million €..
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Yeah... a million ...dunno how to make that euro sign...would be nice. But I'd rather like to have functioning muscles and not those sore things I have now...Why the hell did I sign up for running a half-marathon???? I don't even have the excuse of being drunk when I did it, I seem to be insane.
Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next