The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

+25
Elisabeth
Lulu2011
TheFLuff
Bella171901
Sycorax
KTL
Grainne
BlueQueen
monadh
FashionSparkles
kitarad
catikins
Daliah
Sarah18
tabitha
devilsworld
Nicole
MissRia
Nina
Rageane
Schainize
Serena
Patricia
TracyTheOncer
twixter_tea
29 posters

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. - Page 12 Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by Nina Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:42 pm

I finally read the Kate Daniels series. I loved their Edge series but couldn't force myself to read a first-person book for the longest time. I loved it though.

Seriously, I think I like the Andrews' shapeshifters more than Nalini Singh's.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. - Page 12 Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by Patricia Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Rageane wrote: I only have one question about this commune...Do I have to drink the Cool-Aid? jocolor

No! elephant

I finally read the Kate Daniels series. I loved their Edge series but couldn't force myself to read a first-person book for the longest time. I loved it though.

Seriously, I think I like the Andrews' shapeshifters more than Nalini Singh's.

They are SOO good, right? <3
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rageane Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:33 am

@Patricia, you are too cute for words Girl!! I just love your sense of humour...can I adopt you?!? Smile
Rageane
Rageane

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:30 am

Haha. I told my mom. I also mentioned how I always wanted to live in the United States. She wasn't pleased. *bleeds out on keyboard* *mumbles: Where are my entrails? Oh, right.. she's using them for armbands*

By the way (I have no idea why I was starting this sentence with 'btw' because obviously what I'm going to say won't have anything to do with entrails, blood and adoption) I got the Iron Knight as an eGalley. Did anyone here read the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa?

I'm not convinced that it's as good as everyone claims it to be. Kind of too.. wishy washy. But I guess it's also because I'm not like the heroine, Meghan. She's.. nice, selfless, naive.. And I am.. sometimes, but most of the times, I so am not. *evil laugh*

But seriously, she is another daddy-issued (does this term even exist) girl, right? I'd usually relate to her, but nope. Also the not belonging part. I should be able to relate, because I live in a smalltown full of rednecks and I'm half asian, but nope. I seriously don't, because the way she behaves is so.. unlike me. Hmm..

Oh and I finally finished the Argeneau novels (yes, all 15) and almost groaned. Gosh, what did Mrs. Sands do? The concept is actually good but.. grr. No, I don't find the right words. Wr.

And, and, and! The Fever series is going to be published by Gollancz in the UK, which means that I'll finally be able to buy it with the cool covers (http://www.bookdepository.com/Darkfever-Karen-Marie-Moning/9780575108493). The US editions aren't available anymore. Or at least not all of them.. *sniff*

*glances around*

Hey.. where is everybody goin?

Hmm, harem sounds like enslaving to me... I think a commune would be more peaceful
Mail me a date - oh and we have to plan our honeymoon.

Too bad I was sick this week, or we could've met and married. Sad You got your holidays next week, right? Do you know a cheap (ha!) motel in Berlin? Cus I might make it. Not that my fucked up friends have told me anything. Stupid shitheads. (Oh, I love them!), but still.. So, if we (friends and I)'ll make it, we (you and I) could plan our honeymoon face-to-face. Also, important question: What do you think of fivesomes? Because this commune-thing got me thinking..

*glances around*

Hmm.. why's everybody gone?
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by kitarad Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:14 pm

Ahh Curran I love how he got all defensive when Kate accused him of only wanting to strangle her. "I did it only once". Yes once was once too many or something like that was her return quip I was loling hard.

I just finished China Meiville's Perdido Street Station. You guys have got to read that book. I think it has one of the most beautifully written worlds although the world itself is ugly and cruel and such racism and his almost Marxist views but my god what an opus. Remarkable characters that are so hard to justify what they do and mind you that is the hero and unlike most books the main character does not have a body builder physique (he is fat) who looks like Adonis and the girlfriend not some supermodel kickass dame. Nope she is an insect with a head of a scarab.Still I fell in love with the characters. The flawed Garuda and my god his imagery was so haunting I was unable to read anything for days after because I was so full up and ended up playing Dungen Seige 3.
kitarad
kitarad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah18 Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:15 pm

Patricia wrote:

Hmm, harem sounds like enslaving to me... I think a commune would be more peaceful
Mail me a date - oh and we have to plan our honeymoon.

Too bad I was sick this week, or we could've met and married. Sad You got your holidays next week, right? Do you know a cheap (ha!) motel in Berlin? Cus I might make it. Not that my fucked up friends have told me anything. Stupid shitheads. (Oh, I love them!), but still.. So, if we (friends and I)'ll make it, we (you and I) could plan our honeymoon face-to-face. Also, important question: What do you think of fivesomes? Because this commune-thing got me thinking..

*glances around*

Cheap motels in Berlin?? Maybe a bench at a station ( the ones at Hauptbahnhof are really comfortable). My next day off is tuesday and vacation starts at the first of august.
Fivesomes - how do you manage something like that... Need some time to think about it and write you a mail

Btw, I ordered Kate Daniels today (finally!!)
Sarah18
Sarah18

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Okay.. If someone rapes me, your fault. I'll go all Mercy Thompson on you then, just so you know. :<

Fivesomes.. When I was younger someone in my biology class said fivesomes are probably just one normal couple and a threesome having sex. Like.. groupsex. But then.. tumblr told me otherwise. Wasn't nice, though.

KATE DANIELS! *_* YAY!

I'm not reading anything new atm, but I had a major Pride and Prejudice moment yesterday and now I'm all "Oh Mr. Darcy.." Ach..
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:21 pm

I'm still going through Georgette Heyer - just finished The Black Sheep & The Quiet Gentleman. Liked the first, loved the second. The Quiet Gentleman is sort of similar to The Unknown Ajax (the unloved heir + intrigue) but is enchanting in its own way. It's a bit darker with more mystery to it, so that's fun.

Ummm, other than that I just read the Kate Daniels short story in Hexed because I'm in Curran withdrawal. Unfortunately there wasn't any Curran. Crying or Very sad It was good even though I feel that the Jim/Dali storyline wasn't finished.

I'm off to read GH's Faro's Daughter next...

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Did you read the two novellas written in Currans POV? Smile

I still need to take a look at Georgette Heyer.. Hmm.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Do you mean the freebie ebooks with scenes from Curran's POV? If so, yea... I inhaled them after discovering there wasn't any Curran-y goodness in Hexed. If not... GIVE THEM TO ME AND I MIGHT LET YOU LIVE!

Maybe.

Faro's Daughter was really good. It was a little different from GH's other books: the main characters were always arguing and the hero had more depth to him than some of her other heroes.

After that I read GH's The Convenient Marriage and absolutely HATED it. It icked me out. I hate books where the "hero" has a wife and a mistress. It is probably my number one hated plot line. Ugh. And not only that, I hated all of the characters. All of them. Instead of having one character that ticks me off more than the others I had one character I occasionally liked. And it was the cheating bastard! I feel dirty. Sad

Now I'm covering up that bad experience of a book with Lady of Quality by GH. It's good so far.

I will get through all of Heyer's books...I will get through Heyer's books...

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:59 am

Yes, I was talking about those two. I want to read other stories told in Curran's POV! :<

And about Heyer's books - Well, happened to me with another author. Some books I loved, others.. I didn't. But I'll def check them out. Is Faro's Daughter your fav? Wait.. didn't I ask this somewhere else already? *wonders*

Ah damn, I'm too lazy to scroll up (do you even say it like that? Scroll down.. scroll up? xD Ffuuu!)

Yes you will. Very Happy
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:33 pm

No, you just said you wanted to check out Heyer, your royal laziness tongue I was just mentioning the last one I read.

Faro's Daughter is good, but it isn't my favorite. I like the ones with more mystery/plot to them more than the books that are strictly books of manners. Soooo, I guess my favorites are The Masqueraders, These Old Shades, and the Unknown Ajax.

Yes, it's scroll up and scroll down Smile. Do you think your English has improved since joining the board? Just wondering... we're hosting a French exchange student right now and it's pretty amazing how much she's learned in a month from having to speak in English.

*pushes glasses up nose and rearranges fanny pack and pocket protector*
I'm such a language nerd...

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:35 am

Since there seem to be a few Kate Daniels fans on here:
http://www.ilona-andrews.com/2011/08/04/something-funny-happened-on-the-way-to-mass-market/

Whole book for Andrea O_o. Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:42 am

Me neither.

And thanks for the link! 2013! Damnit, no suicide next year then.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Okay, this is a bit early, buuuttt -

Could y'all recommend some good Autumny and/or Halloween-y (I enjoy inventing adjectives -_- ) books? I like to read seasonal books in September & October for some reason. It's odd...

Thanks Smile

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:21 am

I'm sick to death over here, but don't care about me. I'll come back as Noémi Laress and ... terrorize you all muhaahaaa, yea, some Halloween books, not Frankenstein or Dracula, already read them, so boring.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Hmmm... I know this board is pretty dead right now since it's in-between books, but I'm waaayyy bored right now. House bound due to stupid hurricane.

You can only play computer games for so long...

But yeah, just finished Deadtown and it was pretty good. It was an author rec of Ilona Andrews'. Since they don't give them out right, left and center like some authors there was a pretty good chance of it being good. It was sorta Kate Daniels meets Lily Yu. My only qualm with it was the bad-guy-gloats-about-evil-plot-while-heroine-stalls-for-time was a little obvious. Not bad but less subtle than it could have been. But, then again UF/PNR/Sci-Fi almost always have the "now let's explain the whole book in a evil-dude/dudette monologue" segment in them.

It was fun. Smile

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:54 am

I started reading it yesterday, too, because of Ilona Andrews Blog! Very Happy But it kind of.. didn't captivate me and I thought: "Okay, no. I'll first finish the books I have to finish and then read it."

So.. Today I'll read this reading night-book with some ladies, then I'll need to finish two other books and THEN Deadtown. Or just the reading-night book? Hmm..

I think we need a new section called "Other books by Nalini" I've recently read the Lord of Vampires by Gena Showalter and Nalini wrote the fourth book in this series, right? Smile Ah, well at least something new to read then.

Sorry to hear you're under housearrest. I think the worst thing that happened in Germany was.. well, okay, next to the obvious, a heavy storm or something like that. But never a hurricane. I hope.. think.. am pretty sure about.

You could, of course, learn how to include a post-Slidebar into custom Wordpress themes for me. Very interesting. *cough*
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:14 am

I didn't like Gena Showalters first book. I thought: ok. You can try at least.
But no. Didn't like it.
Ashlyn was just so: Omg, I'm so lonely. And Maddox wasn't entertaining at all. Zsadist was far better to be a sadist. And Maddox and Ashlyn were all: I hate you. And suddenly: oh i love you.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:41 am

Yeah, I'm not a big Showalter fan because of the similarities to Ward's books. I mean, it isn't like Ward is a super writer with new ideas but Showalter seems to be riding on the coattails of her success. I don't like reading books like that, it's a pet peeve. I couldn't read the Midnight Breed series for the same reason.

As for Deadtown - it didn't really grab my interest in the beginning either. It was a gradual thing. I think the book's charm was its subtle commentary on different types of people? I don't know how to explain it.

Ok, examples. Kane (the sometimes boyfriend werewolf) is a good one.

In PNR/UF/Sci-Fi the trend has often been to have some sort of civil-rights movement going on. It makes sense, with shapeshifters and all. However, IMO the authors do not understand/have a simple view of this type of politics. The against the grain, civil-rights crusader is always the champion. The wary, stick-in-the-mud political opposite is always the baddest of the bad. It's too simplistic and often borders on "author using book to create world where their philosophies are obviously right." And that's fine; a no-shades-of-grey book is legitimate IF they back it up and explain it believably. They rarely do. Deadtown isn't a black & white type world - I never felt like the author was telling me to believe a certain way.

Which brings me back to Kane and why I like the book. Kane is the PC, civil-rights for paranormals character. But his political views do not make him virtually infallible philosophically like similar characters in other books. His constant politicking is shown as good and bad. He's a workaholic, he's sometimes annoying because of his love of politics, his methods aren't always 100% above board: he's believable.

There were several characters like that. It was a breath of fresh air for me.

Sorry if that was long and boring and incomprehensible. Smile I'm still boooorrreedd... but now with a tree down in the yard and a leak in the roof due to horizontal rain. Yay. O_o

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:39 pm

I didn't like Lord of the Vampires either, but I'll still give her books a try someday, I think. I wouldn't pay for them however, because what I've read so far wasn't that good. So.. Library it is.

Which first book are you talking about? I mean, in which series?

Nina, I think I kind of get what you mean... Maybe.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:17 am

NIX! I remember her! Kind of..

Read some Nora Roberts novels, Succubus Revealed, This Side of the Grave and Bloodlines the last few days. *sigh* Ambivalence in it's almost purest form.. x( Wink
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:14 pm

I lost my list of books!

The one that tells me when a series I follow has a release coming soon.

*scrambles around aimlessly*

I am nothing without my list. pale

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:12 pm

!! I have one too. Arg, was it a file or a real printed/written list? :/
And don't you have something like that on Goodreads? Sad
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next