The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

+25
Elisabeth
Lulu2011
TheFLuff
Bella171901
Sycorax
KTL
Grainne
BlueQueen
monadh
FashionSparkles
kitarad
catikins
Daliah
Sarah18
tabitha
devilsworld
Nicole
MissRia
Nina
Rageane
Schainize
Serena
Patricia
TracyTheOncer
twixter_tea
29 posters

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. - Page 21 Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by Elisabeth Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Patricia wrote:
Elisabeth: It's a sort of event that makes it possible for you to dare yourself to do things. Like, often, we need excuses to skinnydip or hug a stranger, we need more than an "Because I want to". And 30 days/30 bets.. Well, you can probably guess how it works. You ask friends, or make a list yourself, or both. You bet yourself, or they bet/dare you. You might do it for a good cause, and say that, if you bet with money, that money will be donated, etc. - A friend of mine and I came up with it, so it's nothing official.

I read one or two books by Jeanine Krock, and I remember that I didn't like at least one of them very much. The writing style was weird, like it hadn't been edited enough. Yeah, I think I know what you mean: People are doing something, then they do something else, but something in between is missing, which confuses the reader?

ah, ok, sounds funny, that bet thing Very Happy

and that exactly is my problem with Jeanine Krock, the writing thing, it´s confusing that people start things and between they do something else, that´s not described...I kinda like her books, or better, I started with the first book and now I wanna know how it ends Wink
but the stories are confusing, sometimes it starts one way and ends another way and in the middle of the book I´m wondering where this all will end and why and it´s not the good confusing way as with N.S., where you think - yeah, this is good how it all ended, in the middle I was confused and it ended other than I thought but it makes sense- well with Janine Krock my problem often is that her books don´t make that sense...or so... Rolling Eyes
Elisabeth
Elisabeth

Back to top Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. - Page 21 Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by Patricia Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:58 am

Suppose she needs a better editor. Those things could be avoided, imo.
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elisabeth Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:41 pm

jupp, think so...I just reread: A week to be wicked; it´s sooo cuuute, I´m so happy I bought it, and I think it was Pat who mentioned it Very Happy
I think I´ll start a book about Michel Angelo now, my Mum gave it to me, so I think I´m going to read it Smile
Elisabeth
Elisabeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:19 am

I read a really good debut novel by Aussie author Bec McMaster. Title is Kiss of Steel. It is Victorian steampunk with Vampires! Vampires are not cuddly and sexy in this world. They are what the "bluebloods" that control the aristocracy and monarchy of Britain become after many, many years of being infected by the virus that causes their blood-drinking ways, so they are monsters that need to be put down.

The H of the series is Blade, the rogue blueblood raised on the streets who now controls the slum, Whitechapel. The h is Honoria Todd, orphaned eldest daughter of a scientist looking for a vaccine or cure for the virus who has been forced to take refuge in Whitechapel and support her younger siblings. Excellent supporting cast with future books to be about them. Really excellent book and something completely different than the typical PNR being published today.
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Elisabeth Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:51 am

hmm, sounds good...maybe I should give it a try...
Elisabeth
Elisabeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:59 am

It was really good. You can read some of the reviews over at goodreads too.

Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Elisabeth, I'm soo glad you liked it that much, too. Just lovely, right? <3

Lulu, I think I'll check that one out!

Just finished Hidden by P.C. and Kristin Cast. It was so horrible. I can't even!
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:23 pm

I think I'm going to read A Week To Be Wicked too now that I'm on a Regency/Victorian kick.

Patricia, definitely try Kiss of Steel.
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:47 am

Read Iced. Still cannot even. Anyone here who's read it?

Then read the newest Love at Stake. Have only read first and latest so far. Okay enough, but nothing mind-blowing.

Then read the fourth Charley Davidson dream which led to me dreaming that I had a relationship with Obama, who was also my female P.E. teacher, and was then shot by a demon, right before I was shot by him, too. - I'm not sure what that says about the book, but I liked it. The book, not the dream.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jane Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:10 am

Patricia wrote:Read Iced. Still cannot even. Anyone here who's read it?

I did! What a ride that book was!
Jane
Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Yes, right??
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:19 pm

I haven't read Iced and probably won't. 14 year old heroine? Not for me.

I have read the latest Elder Races, Lord's Fall, which I loved. It's short. 281 pages but it was really fun and I loved seeing Dragos and Pia, the Sentinel Games, and all the old favorites show up, except Tricks and Tiago.

I also read the Jacquelyn Frank's new Bodywalker series, Forbidden. Didn't like this one at all. It's kind of bizarre: ancient Egyptian bodywalkers (their kings, queens, priests, priestesses, etc.) are stuck in the Ether until they "blend" with a host human body. That means two people in one body with two distinct personalities. Everytime the host body is killed, they recycle back to the Ether to do it over again, having multiple hosts over thousands of years.

Try to get a romance out of that. Two bodywalkers = 4 distinct personalities = 8 relationship POV's instead of the usual 2. And, if the host is killed, then it's only the Egyptian souls that recycle and come back again. Bizarre and dull all at the same time as we're supposed to believe that Ramses II (the pyramid builder) would fall head over heels for the unremarkable office manager Docia and the Egyptian female soul that she is carrying.
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:39 pm

I got an ARC of Forbidden and stopped reading at about 10 or 20 percent or so. Didn't like it very much..
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:47 am

Did you? I paid for it. Sad
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 am

Eeek, that sucks. I hate to pay for things I don't enjoy. *insert non-PC joke*
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Clockwork Prince. It's the prologue of the Mortal Instruments. You don't need to have read the Mortal Instruments first to get the story.
I don't know yet weather to like it like "Really" or not.
It's kinda the same as the MIs, Tessa is Clary, Will is Jace, Jem is Simon, we've got one evil traitor from the inner circle, we've got the badass-caring-softy Jace and the dying-loser-cute Jem. It really is the same just anno 1800 or so.
AND YOU HAVE TO READ GAME OF THRONES. My god they are so good. At first I saw the series and I was like dying when I heard the next season wouldn't start before March 2013!!!!
But the books are even better. Seriously they are really long but incredibly good. Can't stop reading them.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:38 am

Since I've read her fanfiction (though I have only read the first one) all of her characters appear to be based on the same core-characters, distinguishable only because she adds some extras to all of them. (Not that other authors don't do that, too.)

My main issue with the novels is that a. there is something very predictable to them, and b. Clare fails to manipulate readers without them noticing.

Authors get paid for playing with our emotions, yet it was obvious what she was doing in pretty much all of the TMI series as well as the Clockwork series. Especially in Clockwork Prince it became painfully obvious: The Jem and Will deal? Urgh.

Apart from that, I do think her YA is way better than many others, including obvious choices such as.. dun dun dun, Twilight. Ba dum tss. Wink

Been meaning to read A Song of Fire and Ice for some time now, but all those emotions the show alone made me feel.. Well, I'm wary, to say the least. But in a good way. I just don't want to be sucked into that series right now. (Plus, I already got spoiled.. a lot.)

(Oh, and imo Jem isn't Simon. Jem is Jace and parts of Alec, and Will is parts of Jace and Simon; or, Jace is Cassie's Draco, and.. oh, why start? XD)
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:51 am

I agree partly. I think City of Bones was quite good. But it was too long and thick, the story apporached waaaaay to slow. It began to bore me. I read the other two books too just because I wanted to know what would happen.
Clockwork Prince is pretty much the same. That sucks. I only bought the book because it was on sale, at least I didn't spend much on it.
I'm going to reav "In meinem Himmel" sorry, I don't know the english title. I really hope it's as good as the movie was even though I'm not sure if I could handle the emotions.
I just Luuuuuuuved Game of Thrones. The books are exactly as the series. Entire conversations are just taken from the book as they were. You can really hear the actors play in your head.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:59 am

GoT: Um.. no, according to the wiki they changed several things, didn't introduce some characters as they did in the books, and so on? #confused
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Of course you can't get the book 100% translated into a series. That's just impossible. But if you look at what they did with Vampire Diaries ... hello?!
The Plot doesn't change a lot, those characters who weren't introduced are either too minor or they changed them so people wouldn't get confused.
Maybe you should watch it. It's really good. Just don't eat before or in the middle of it. Wink
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:57 pm

I am/have been (since it's on hiatus atm) watching the show.. I think I even livestreamed the first episode; but I didn't read the books, because of the heartbreak, and also because of several other reasons. And yeah, I know that a 1:1 adaption is impossible, but many people criticized the way they changed things in the tv-show. (And even more, the German translation of the show.) That's why I was confused because you seem very satisfied with it; I was just curious if you didn't notice, or if you didn't mind.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:38 am

I read the first book and besides the age of the child actors ... I can't see much difference. Except for Catelynn is a bitch in the book and a little less bitchy in the series. I really enjoy it.
Patricia there are allways people who critize everything. I just don't care about that.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Yurice Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:32 pm

I've just finished two Stephen King's books.
Duma Key - some praised it as better than Bag of Bones, but for me, Duma is a tamer version of Bones.

Full Dark, No Stars - a collection of 4 short stories, I liked 1922 and Good Marriage. The other two, not so much but 'passable' as SK's story. =D
Yurice
Yurice

http://hawke-sienna.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Finished the 3rd book in Coreene Callihan's Dragonfury series. Fury of Seduction. It was OK. Nothing special really. Kind of a BDB rip off in terms of style, but more coherent in some ways with better villains and dragons instead of vampires.
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:56 am

Style.. as in, writing-style? Word-choices? ._. #afraid of that
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next