The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kiss of Snow: It's out. First impressions?

+35
lappyloo13
mike1803
TracyTheOncer
Rageane
Lisa
KTL
bluebourbon
Rukita
Bella171901
twixter_tea
cheebee
Nicole
Sarah18
BlackQueen
devilsworld
Serena
Lady Jaye
mj
ferdy
catikins
losellers
CK90
Lulu2011
tlcalheta
Lisa Jo
kitarad
Roxsan
Elaine
Scotch
FashionSparkles
Nina
silverdezz
tabitha
nols
Patricia
39 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Kiss of Snow: It's out. First impressions? Empty Kiss of Snow: It's out. First impressions?

Post by Patricia Tue May 31, 2011 3:09 pm

Hey.

Who's finished with the book yet? What do you think?
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Kiss of Snow: It's out. First impressions? Empty Re: Kiss of Snow: It's out. First impressions?

Post by nols Tue May 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi Patricia

I'm so glad Sienna and Hawke got their HEA, but I gotta admit the book wasn't as amazing as I expected. Then again, I did have a very long time to build up my expectations...
All in all though it was definitely a good read.

You? You still mad at Hawke?

nols

Back to top Go down

Kiss of Snow: It's out. First impressions? Empty Re: Kiss of Snow: It's out. First impressions?

Post by tabitha Tue May 31, 2011 4:26 pm

I liked the Sienna & Hawke pairing much more than I thought I would, they made me laugh, they made me cry Smile
I loved that we learnt so much more about the Lauren family and Walker & Lara's romance was very touching.
I was a bit disappointed with the 'battle' scenes, just not enough action given the amount of build up.
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Post by silverdezz Tue May 31, 2011 6:17 pm

I stayed up till 2 to get it and woke up at 7 to read it. On top of it, I had a cold and my doc cheerfully announced to me I was sick...

I find the book good (I need to read a second round before it turn to GREAT!) Though i like Walker and Lara's romance...i find that it can be in its own novella as they steal some of the scene time btw Hawke and Sienna.

I find S & H relationship realistic and not too dramatic as I think Nalini can do it if she wants...

Too many things are happening it once in KOS....sometimes i feel it will be better to focus on just S & H (since we waited 9 books for this couple....i am very greedy)

I agree with Tabitha....the "battle" scene too short and not descriptive enough....I think Nalini can do better in that part
silverdezz
silverdezz

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Tue May 31, 2011 7:28 pm

I didn't like the battle scene, bc it seemed, well, it was too short and it seemed over-dramatic given the short amount of time.

Yes, the Walker x Lara thing was difficult. I don't think there was a better way to make it work, because Sienna and Walker are connected in their weird way.

What do you think about the Council? And the rats? I liked the Judd-action!
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Tue May 31, 2011 8:23 pm

These were my first impressions that I posted over on the ARC thread:

Okay, so first impressions (just my opinions ) -
1. KoS is a solid entry into the series, not the best, more in the middle.
2. Walker is awesome.
3. It feels rushed, probably because so much is going on. It borders on choppy because of all of the different storylines.
4. Walker deserves a fanclub. Or a cult. Can I join?
5. The world-building continues to be great. I was a little skeptical of the X ability (it seemed too superhero-y for the series) but by the end of the book I was more than okay with it.
6. Lara is one lucky wolfie.

I'm lazy.

Patricia wrote:Yes, the Walker x Lara thing was difficult. I don't think there was a better way to make it work, because Sienna and Walker are connected in their weird way.
That makes sense. It was probably the best way for her to write it, but still... I want it to be all Walker, none of that Hawke nonsense! *throws tantrum* Laughing

I brought this up on ARC thread, too, but it is more appropriate here:

WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH THE CRYOGENICS??!!!
I mean, the random frozen lady doesn't add to/move along/whatever the plot. Did her being frozen do anything for the book other than take up pages?

It felt like the snake shapeshifter thing that happened in Mine to Possess - something for characters to talk about but in the end nothing comes from it. I'm okay with a little of that, it mimics real life. BUT, unless Alice rises from the semi-dead in future books the cryogenics thing borders on cheap because it was a significant part of KoS. Sigh. It's bugging be 'cause I can't explain why it needed to be in the book...

(I enjoyed the book though, don't get me wrong Smile )

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by FashionSparkles Tue May 31, 2011 10:50 pm

Hey everyone so i just got my hands on KOS *does a crazyyy dance* & absolutely adored it to pieces, personally I liked it better than POP and hmm i think it ranks REALLY high in my psy/changeling books.

I have a question for you though. Throughout the entire book is it just me or didn't Hawke once said the words "I love you" this kind of got me frustrated i mean he said forever, but i don't think he actually ever said lool here i am being picky! Did anyone else noticed?
FashionSparkles
FashionSparkles

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotch Tue May 31, 2011 10:56 pm

FashionSparkles wrote:Hey everyone so i just got my hands on KOS *does a crazyyy dance* & absolutely adored it to pieces, personally I liked it better than POP and hmm i think it ranks REALLY high in my psy/changeling books.

I have a question for you though. Throughout the entire book is it just or didn't Hawke once said the words "I love you" this kind got me frustrated i mean he said forever, but i dont think he actually ever said lool here i am being picky! Did anyone else noticed?

I think this was his version of "I love you," which I actually like better:

“Except I never had a prayer when it came to you. You’re in my every breath and every thought, intertwined so deep inside me that love’s not a strong enough word—you have my devotion, your name branded on my soul, my wolf yours to command. A hundred years? It’ll never be enough. I want eternity.”

Scotch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotch Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 pm

Nina wrote:These were my first impressions that I posted over on the ARC thread:

Okay, so first impressions (just my opinions ) -
1. KoS is a solid entry into the series, not the best, more in the middle.
2. Walker is awesome.
3. It feels rushed, probably because so much is going on. It borders on choppy because of all of the different storylines.
4. Walker deserves a fanclub. Or a cult. Can I join?
5. The world-building continues to be great. I was a little skeptical of the X ability (it seemed too superhero-y for the series) but by the end of the book I was more than okay with it.
6. Lara is one lucky wolfie.

I agree KoS is not the best, but it still ranks up high for me. I really like Walker, but not to the degree you like Walker! I really wish his and Lara's romance was written in a separate novella so we could have gotten more of H & S or more of the overall war. Otherwise I don't think the story was any more choppy than some of the others that had a lot of the psy-war brewing background going on.

I agree generally with your point #4. With regard to the X-Psy storyline, I was left somewhat disappointed.

First, there was so much buildup in this book alone (not to mention earlier books) about S's destructive powers, but the only real destructive demonstration occurred during the battle scene. While the battle scene was great, it was so brief, so the overall impression I was left was that at least with regard to her powers, this book contained too much "tell" and not enough "show," which is something novice writers often do and not what I had expected at this point in the series.

Second, I was disappointed that no one in the Pack actually talked about it afterward! When that post-battle scene with the meeting of the adult pack members first started, I expected someone to make some comment re her awesome powers. Maybe someone would make a joking remark about not angering her or something. I wanted to see someone looking at Sienna with new eyes, new respect, etc. But aside from factual discussions re the release of energy + valve, no one said anything! How is that even possible when the event was so extraordinary.

Patricia wrote:Yes, the Walker x Lara thing was difficult. I don't think there was a better way to make it work, because Sienna and Walker are connected in their weird way.

I disagree. I think they could have had their own novella re the romance; this book would have still worked with just the Sienna and Walker connection.

I brought this up on ARC thread, too, but it is more appropriate here:

WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH THE CRYOGENICS??!!!
I mean, the random frozen lady doesn't add to/move along/whatever the plot. Did her being frozen do anything for the book other than take up pages?

It felt like the snake shapeshifter thing that happened in Mine to Possess - something for characters to talk about but in the end nothing comes from it. I'm okay with a little of that, it mimics real life. BUT, unless Alice rises from the semi-dead in future books the cryogenics thing borders on cheap because it was a significant part of KoS. Sigh. It's bugging be 'cause I can't explain why it needed to be in the book...

(I enjoyed the book though, don't get me wrong Smile )

I totally agree! And how lame was it for her to wake up (after being frozen for what, 100 years?, to be cognizant enough to conveniently mention the "valve." Seriously. Ugh. I don't understand why the story wouldn't have worked with the discovery of the 2nd manuscript instead of the actual frozen body. And I hope Alice is not going to rise up from the semi-dead to have a romance in later books.

Scotch

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaine Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:42 am

Scotch wrote:
I totally agree! And how lame was it for her to wake up (after being frozen for what, 100 years?, to be cognizant enough to conveniently mention the "valve." Seriously. Ugh. I don't understand why the story wouldn't have worked with the discovery of the 2nd manuscript instead of the actual frozen body. And I hope Alice is not going to rise up from the semi-dead to have a romance in later books.

For the frozen Alice, she does not know how much time has passed, but it seems that the look/aura of the Arrows have not changed in that time. She recognized Judd at once. And aside from admitting he was a former Arrow, Judd was actually quizzing her about how to save an X who was about to implode. Since that is the only stimulus she has, that must have triggered her memory about the valve.

And who knows, if Alice survives or recovers in the next books, she might be able to teach Sascha how to use her powers to control mobs of thousands Very Happy
Elaine
Elaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxsan Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:45 am

I also didn't like this. I thought the whole cryogenically frozen Alice thing was a cop-out. I would've much preferred the discovery of the second manuscript. It felt to me like throwing in the 'magic wand' - there was no hint, not an inkling Alice's possible survival. Heck, I don't even remember cryogenics as being possible until this book. Then suddenly 'hey presto' frozen Alice is found and wakes up just long enough to conveniently mention the keyword to save Sienna.

I disagree. I think they could have had their own novella re the romance; this book would have still worked with just the Sienna and Walker connection.

I actually hope they still do. I felt their romance was just starting in this book. I think there is a lot about Walker that hasn't been said which needs to be for their relationship to be absolute, especially regarding his experiences in the PsyNet and what its done to him (i.e. being 'broken'). Although him and Lara have connected, I didn't see an absolute resolution to their romance. They crossed a rather large stepping stone, but not everything is resolved.

Moving on, I absolutely loved how Hawke and Sienna played off each other in this book. They were a delight to watch. I was particularly grateful that Nalini developed their physical romance in increments, where Hawke would do a little more with Sienna each time they were together until she was confident and ready for him. I've been particularly disappointed with romance novels in the past where the young female lead (typically emotionally broken in some manner) suddenly grew 'bedroom balls of steel' with the experience of a sex goddess despite having no prior experience.

I also liked the ending of the book - The characters all safe and happy, but now in more danger than ever with the knowledge of the Lauren's family survival out in the open. I think this is going to become an excellent plot point in the next arc. Also I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Arrow's. Finally, The Ghost is becoming a more and more intriguing character with each book. I can't wait until we finally know who he is. Very Happy

Edit: Also, might want to put in the Topic title for this thread "Beware Spoilers Galore!" since we're all openly discussing without spoiler tags. Although it should be obvious by the thread title that this thread will be spoiler heavy, not mentioning it might annoy some fans. Embarassed
Roxsan
Roxsan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotch Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:01 am

Roxsan wrote:
Moving on, I absolutely loved how Hawke and Sienna played off each other in this book. They were a delight to watch. I was particularly grateful that Nalini developed their physical romance in increments, where Hawke would do a little more with Sienna each time they were together until she was confident and ready for him. I've been particularly disappointed with romance novels in the past where the young female lead (typically emotionally broken in some manner) suddenly grew 'bedroom balls of steel' with the experience of a sex goddess despite having no prior experience.

I agree! Before reading the book, I read many reviews where the reviewer remarked she didn't like all the close calls and interruptions with re H & S. I thought the way their sexual relationship developed was way more realistic given his advantages in age, maturity and sexual experience. They truly were not equals on that field, and I would have been very disappointed if she suddenly turned into the type of young female lead you described.

Edited to add: BTW, given Sienna's special power, shouldn't she eat an extraordinary amount of food every day? You need energy to create energy, right?

Scotch

Back to top Go down

Post by tabitha Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:22 am

I didn't like the whole cyrogenics thing with Alice either but can see why it was done for dramatic effect.

I was actually more pleased with the 'X' storyline, it was much better than I thought, better explained with enough background and more than enough drama.

Does anyone like Judd action Very Happy

I think Tejan is on his way to getting a novella as the rats are playing a bigger part in each book.

Anyone else think Nikita is an empath herself after reading KoS?
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxsan Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:52 am

Does anyone like Judd action

Love Judd action! One of my favourite Judd scenes has to be his discussion with Hawke where he lost his cool a bit (about not defecting earlier because Toby and Marlee were too young). I also loved his scene with Brenna after the mission with Sienna Very Happy
Roxsan
Roxsan

Back to top Go down

Post by kitarad Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:12 am

The valve info was of no help it only was in retrospective .She went nuclear and then they found out the consequences later.It was not useful information in any way. I don't think she was brought back only for that she may be playing a bigger role in the books to come.

I loved that Hawke chased her in almost every scene after he decided to go after her. Nalini kept her innocence her sexual innocence .She was hesitant and scared of going further and she even said so. This was very good because it made their relationship believable. She also resolved the mating issue very well nicely done .

Walker stole the book sorry to say not Hawke and Sienna.
kitarad
kitarad

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Jo Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:11 am

First time posting ... I really liked it ! I stayed up till 1:45 am reading. I told myself I wouldn't ... but I think you all understand.

I'm now wondering if we'll meet a wolf with the last name Dancer now. It was quite obvious now that I think about it.

One thing that bugged me was that no one died on the changeling side. It was a little to neat a package that all the extra energy from her could be used to heal everything. As much as I like Tai and the gang having one of them die would have made a better story. Does that even make sense? I still rather enjoyed it. The war is still on, so maybe someone will die. Very Happy

Thanks for the site btw - this is one series I really can't suggest and discuss with my students so it's nice to have a place to go!

Lisa Jo

Back to top Go down

Post by tlcalheta Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:48 am

First time posting here...

I really enjoyed the book. There was very little 'fat' making the story an easy read. I'm glad it wasn't a Hawke/Sienna or Walker/Lara overkill. The next book is a den love story so we will get more of these couples, just like we got to see a lot of Lucas and Sasha in the first 10 books.

What I really like in KoS (and POP) is the romantic gestures and courting. Warms my heart. I hope thats a trend we see more of in future installments.

tlcalheta

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:46 am

Finished the book at 1 AM this morning. I need to do a complete re-read to solidify my thoughts. First impressions:

I enjoyed it very much. Hawke and Sienna were wonderful together. I thought her sexual inexperience and shyness were handled in the right way. I enjoyed the secondary love story with Walker and Lara. Loved seeng glimpses of so many favorites, Judd and Vaughn. Like a lot of you, I sort of shook my head at the whole Alice cryogenic thing though it didn't bother me too much. I definitely see the set up for her as a future heroine down the road. I did think it might have made the story more dramatic and meaningful if Tai or Maria had died . . .

I had thought that NS was wrapping up this story arc and that she might be moving away from SnowDancer and DarkRiver in future stories but the ending definitely leaves open many issues with the Psy Council. Also, I just read an interview with NS, http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Heart-to-Heart-The-BN-Romance/Interview-with-Nalini-Singh/ba-p/1029082, where she says that DR and SD are part of the heart of the Psy-Changeling series and she can't ever imagine moving completely away from them. Yay for that! SInce the next book is about the SD lieutenant Riaz we should get to see lots of Hawke/Sienna and Walker/Lara follow up.
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:54 am

I was also waiting for Hawke to say "I love you" to Sienna earlier in the book. He may have earlier than this, but this really slayed me at the end:

"You're in my every breath and every thought,intertwined so deep inside me that love's not a strong enough word - you have my devotion, your name branded on my soul, my wolf yours to commmand. A hundred years? It'll never be enough. I want eternity."
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by CK90 Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:38 am

I thought it was just ok. The biggest problem is me. This wasn't the Hawke/Sienna book I wanted. I love them as a couple, absolutely adored Sienna as a heroine but I'm lukewarm on Hawke. I thought he was unworthy of her (blasphemy, I know). I definitely didn't think Hawke groveled enough for all the hot 'n cold crap he put Sienna through.

I also thought the book was WAY choppy. I loved the Walker/Lara romance but I felt it took away from Hawke/Sienna. I never thought Alice had died in the 'accident' but the cryogenics thing was rather...eh. I thought she had been 'protected' by a pack in the same way that all packs closed ranks and protected their Psy mates when Silence was implemented. I definitely agree that she's going to have a bigger role in this second arc.

I also thought the villains were one dimensional. It's actually interesting because Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews also had fanatics as villains but where they were creepy and scary, here I felt they were cardboard.

Don't get me wrong, there are moments of absolute brilliance and made me squee like a rabid fangirl but overall I thought it was just...okay. Neutral
CK90
CK90

Back to top Go down

Post by losellers Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:55 am

I am one of the ones that finished the book late last night (well, 1:30 am, so I guess it'd be early this morning). I really, really liked it. I'd say it's in my top 4. I'll, of course, have to read it again, but I thought that there was a good balance between romance and the Psy/Changling battle (or however you want to put it). I didn't think it was choppy at all, but maybe it's just because I read it to fast.

I understand that Nalini probably didn't want to have the plain old "well, looky here....we found the transcript with everything neatly written down on exactly how we can save Sienna" line in there. I actually think she could have done without the Cryogenics thing, since they pretty much figured out everything at the end without needing anything from Alice. But, Alice had been mentioned so many times in the other books, that she probably felt that she had to be in there somewhere. (I totally agree, that I hope she doesn't wake up and start walking around....and end up with Dalton, the Librarian or something like that, but she hadn't "ended", so at the end of this book, she's still there, so who knows.)

I'm glad no changlings died. I understand that some people think that it would have made for a better story, but unless it was a character I really didn't like, I'd like for them to come out alive. If she'd want to kill off unnamed changlings, that would be okay I suppose, but I woulnd't be terribly happy about it. I'm one of the people who read books for happy endings, since life isn't always happy. I do, however, wonder
Spoiler:

I also liked the Walker/Lara element. I DO wish it would have been explored a bit more. I'm not sure how any extra info could be put into an anthology though, unless she just ends up giving more details on the kissing in corners, etc.,
Spoiler:

All in all, I loved it. I do kinda wonder when Sienna saw Tomas do the chicken dance, though. lol!

Last edited by losellers on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wanted to add something.)

losellers

Back to top Go down

Post by catikins Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:00 am

Just finished - thanks to nols the superstar!!!! I loved this book, if I shut out all the comments that went before and just read this book from my favourite author without any expectations I loved it. I think Nalini is such a good storyteller and this runs on so well from the previous books and is definately my fave. This is the only one of her books that has actually made me shed a tear!!! My fave character without a doubt is Sienna, god did she come into her own here. She has become an alpha in her own right, she owned Hawke's ass in the end!! I imagined her in the battle just like 'Jane'??? in the X men movie, hair raised, veins protruding in her head but still looking beautiful. I am glad that Nalini fit all the running storylines into a fairly short book because I didn't get bored of any of the separate
happenings or characters and felt that plot lines were left open for the next book. I love Hawke, he is just so ultra male and a long way from perfect which makes him perfect for me. Very Happy I think the Alice cryogenics thing was an introduction to her as becoming a major storyline in the future. I also loved learning more about the Snowdancers and I wanted to go clubbing at 'Wild' this Saturday - anyone wanna come?? Wink
catikins
catikins

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaine Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:08 am

Overall, I like the book. The battle, the contact with other characters, etc. are described just enough to trigger my imagination about how the scene is playing.

I've not settled my mind about Hawke, that 34-year-old-man who was able to sustain the lie that his mating bond had been given to that child who died, his departed unmated mate. Kudos to him, though, for not forgetting Sienna is not easy about granting skin privileges to people around her, so his seduction of her was slow.

So that book's done, and I'm now looking forward to the next story arc. I guess that will be about the civil war among the Psy? Will the present Psy defectors within SnowDancer and DarkRiver play important roles in resolving that? Smile So more Judd please, and show who of Walker's old students will rally to him.
Elaine
Elaine

Back to top Go down

Post by ferdy Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:24 am

Hi this is my first post,

I've just finished KOS and overall I enjoyed it. I did like the Walker/Lara parts- which surprised me because I thought it would detract from Hawke/Sienna. Hawke's been a fave of mine since the 1st book and I was a bit wary at first because I didn't think Sienna deserved him. But I was proved completely wrong Sienna was brilliant, everything a female lead should be - she was more than worthy of Hawke. I actually feel a little that Hawke doesn't deserve Sienna. The first third of the book he was too hot and cold.. and Sienna was doing most of the chasing. I still love Hawke but not like before- I don't know there was just something missing with Hawke in the book - I think it was a combination of a lack of affection, devotion and trust.. I just couldn't believe in his love for Sienna at some points.. he was all over the place, she gave him everything and he would just feed her bits here and there when it suited him or would just close up. I might be judging harshly because I just finished but I wanted more of that special something that I've seen in all the other couples. I felt that from Hawke's memories that he gave more emotion and soul to Rissa and with Sienna he just shared his sexual side with the occassional insight into his past when he deigned to give it .

I'm still confused about the whole Rissa issue.. it's made clear from Hawke's thoughts that she would have been his mate and that his wolf knew as soon as saw her that she was his., so because she died very young they didn't have the mating bond.. so doesn't this suggest that if she didn't die they would have grown up together and eventually had a strong mating bond, so when the Laurens would have arrived.. Sienna would just be another new addition to his pack and no one special to him because he would have been happily mated to Rissa for a number of years.. and if that's the case wouldn't that mean that even though you could only mate once.. you can have more than one potential mate.. so theoretically if Lucas hadn't met sascha- he could potentially have met someone else that his cat would have accepted as his mate.. or did i just read it wrong? could someone please help me understand..???.. because i don't like the idea that even though you can only mate once that it can be with 2 or more different people depending on circumstance-like who you meet first or if a potential mate dies.

The whole frozen Alice was unexpected.. i'm guessing she's play a future role in the books.

P.s i love this forum I wish i'd discovered it sooner...!!

ferdy

Back to top Go down

Post by catikins Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Ferdy, welcome - I also love this site and check it daily (a lot)! The lovely people on here have really kept me going with spoilers/reviews and in the end with solving my problem of actually reading the damned book!!

Re-the mating thing. I don't get it either, I just can't see a whole race surviving as infant mortality can be high and if they can't then go on and mate (breed) again then the race is doomed!! I do find it was a big achilles heel with Hawke which I don't understand but hey - I still love him. Rolling Eyes
catikins
catikins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next