Help Me!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help Me!

Post by TracyTheOncer on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Hey all,
Does anyone have any good book recommendations for sixth graders (11 - 12 year olds)? I've been looking online for book recommendations, but I figured I'd ask here as well. I have to get a classroom library set up for next year and need some great books for that age range.
Thanks!
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Re: Help Me!

Post by Nina on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm a kid's lit nerd with a twelve year old brother. Am I allowed to Nerd-out? Pretty please? Does sushi work on you, too? Smile

Redwall series - Brian Jacques
100 cupboards - N.D. Wilson
Howl's Moving Castle & The Chrestomanci Series - Diana Wynne Jones
Percy Jackson Series & The Heroes of Olympus Series - Rick Riordan
The Giver, Number the Stars, Anastasia Series, Sam Series - Lois Lowry
The Guardians of Ga'hoole - Kathryn Lasky
The Warriors Series - Erin Hunter
Artemis Fowl Series, Half-Moon Investigations - Eoin Colfer
Shoes books - Noel Streatfield
The Thief Lord - Cornelia Funke
From the Mixed-up Files of Ms. Basil E. Frankweiller - E.L. Koingsburg
Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery
Running out of Time - Margaret Peterson Haddix
The Secret Garden, Little Princess - Francis H. Burnett
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
Dealing with Dragons - Patricia C. Wrede
Matilda, etc. - Roald Dahl
Half Magic, etc. - Edward Eager
The Princess Frog Series, Wings - E.D. Baker
Encyclopedia Brown
If you're in the US - American girl books, Dear America Diaries

...and a bazillion others I can't come up with right now...

[/Nerd out]

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Nat-hope on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:47 pm

I agree with that list but add
The Lioness QUARTET
AND
THE IMMORTALS
THEIR BY TAMORA PIERCE AND THIER IN THE SYSTEM FOR ACCELERATED READING TESTS.

Nat-hope

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Thank you both! I see a few other series I'll need to add to my list. Smile
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by kitarad on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 pm

I would add Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea Trilogy. Lord of the rings of course and Dorris Lessing shikasta I also think Charles De Lint may be his Memory and Dream and Emma Bull War of the Oaks
kitarad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:09 pm

I`ve just checked my Best Books I list Cool I started to write when I was a kid. It was tricky because I had to skip all the Serbian (and other ex-Yu) novels and the ones I am not sure are translated in English. It is great you can make your own list of books you think the students should read. When I was in elementary school our teachers made us read a lot of old, boring books that our parents have also read. No better way to make most of the children hate books in general. But, back to the question you asked:

The Five Pennies Of Lavarede - Paul d'Ivoi
Adventure - Jack London
The Hobbit, or There and Back Again - J.R.R. Tolkien

Hmm. Not such a long list now. Hope it helps anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:30 pm

I'll add those as well. Thanks! =)

TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sycorax on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:19 am

I love many of the books already suggested. I would add:

Rowan of Rin and Deltora Quest series - Emily Rodda
Keys to the Kingdom series - Garth Nix
A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle
Galax Arena - Gillian Rubenstein
The Dark is Rising sequence - Susan Cooper
A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula le Guin
Homecoming - Cynthia Voigt
His Dark Materials trilogy - Phillip Pullman
Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh - Robert O'Brien
Haroun and the Sea of Stories - Salman Rushdie

Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid seems to be the most popular thing out there at the moment, though I haven't read it. Some others like that might be an idea - recent books set in the real world, school etc. Unfortunately I cannot help with that, as I always preferred to wallow in fantasy.

Sycorax

Back to top Go down

Post by Rageane on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:28 am

You also might consider:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Maximum Ride series by James Patterson
Eragon series by Christopher Paolini
Rageane

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:20 pm

What type of restrictions do you have Tracy? Some school systems are laxer/stricter than others. Are there any specific topics your school board wants to avoid?

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks Rageane & Sycorax! Smile

Nina,
It's my first year in this district (and teaching Language Arts, as I taught math/science previously), so I'm not sure how strict they'll be. So far, I get the impression they aren't too strict. They gave me a "protected book list" but said most teachers don't hold to it & are pretty flexible. Since I'm just beginning here, I want to avoid providing books that are fairly controversial. If the kid picks the controversial book out himself/herself at a library or bookstore, then I don't care if he/she reads it, as I shouldn't be blamed by the parent as a result. I just don't want to include it in the "classroom library." Of course, some books really shouldn't be controversial, so I plan on including/having students read those, i.e. "Bridge to Terabithia" & "Harry Potter." At the same time, I have some "young adult" books at home that I probably won't include, like the "Vampire Academy" series, as I might get complaints about some of the themes/situations in it. I also read "The Chronicles of Nick" series by S. Kenyon, but that might also lead to parental issues as well if the kid starts looking for the adult books, lol. Besides, those series are probably more for high school students anyway.

Moreover, one of my biggest issues right now is trying to find a really good book/series that hasn't been turned into a movie yet! (There are pros/cons to the fact that there are now movie versions to a lot of the popular books these days.) I'm glad there are some series/books mentioned above that haven't been made into movies yet!

As a class, students will probably be reading "Holes," "Bridge to Terabithia," "Number the Stars," "Tuck Everlasting," and/or "Wrinkle in Time," since those are the ones on the 6th grade reading list the school gave me yesterday. Otherwise, students will mainly be reading independently or in literature circles, so they'll have options on what they want to read. I've been going to Goodwill a lot recently to get cheap books and so far I've found a lot of the ones mentioned above. So that's good! Smile

By the way, has anyone read "The Hunger Games" yet? I've been hearing a lot about it, but I haven't had the time to read it yet myself. It seems popular with that age range, unless it's more for high schoolers.
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Okay, I wanted to make sure so I wasn't suggesting something that would get you in trouble. I'm sure you'll look through what you buy anyway, though... Smile

But, anyway - for the books I suggested:

The Giver, Anastasia Series - Lois Lowry
*The Giver is awesome but a little dark and has (non-graphic) euthanasia as it is set in an alternate/futuristic reality where there is strict population control. All people 12+ take pills that repress their sexuality as well. The book is very much an idea book. So, topic-wise this may be a little too gritty for 6th graders. The Anastasia Series was written mainly in the 80's/90's so it is very much into coming-of-age type topics, current events, etc. It's tastefully and humorously done and I can stomach it (usually I despise preachy-teachy books) but some of the things talked about might cause trouble for you as a teacher - divorce due to infidelity, same-sex attraction, etc. The first book doesn't get into anything touchy though, just the later ones.

Artemis Fowl Series, Half-Moon Investigations - Eoin Colfer
*Has the occasional 'damn' in them. But so do Holes and Harry Potter, so that's probably fine.

Also:
Schooled (Gordon Korman)
The Children of Green Knowe (L.M. Boston)
The Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles (Julie Andrews Edwards)
The later "Little House" books
The Egypt Game - Snyder
Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer (John Grisham)
Walk Two Moons (Sharon Creech)
Ella Enchanted (Gail Carson Levine)
The Watsons go to Birmingham (Christopher Paul Curtis)
Out of the Dust (Karen Hesse)

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum