I want my Romance hero to...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I want my Romance hero to...

Post by TheFLuff on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:52 am

I got to read a Nora Roberts book last night and she totally suprised me. For the second time in a row.
Major shock for me, especially, since she gave me something, I have always wanted (and have been thinking about since I read BBF again)

A hero who is not studied, who doesn´t have a fancy-schmancy supercool job, didn´t go to college... he´s just a god damn car mechanic ... and he doesn´t care.

affraid

I have been waiting for that for so long. A guy who doesn´t start to cry, because he isn´t so super educated as the heroine, who knows, what he´s good at and that´s it.

And even more, another one in the same book. The hero had a horrible childhood... and he didn´t just get over it with the love of his lady and all was good and all problems magically disappeared. They just got to know each other and learned how to work around it.

*thud*

And as I said, it was the second time.
In another book, her hero was a comic book author. A total nerd, who could talk Trek. OMFG!

That´s what I want in my heros.
Confidence, no atificially created conflicts, Alpha males? Yes. Just ones, who don´t think their Sisters are their property and they can decide with whom they have to do what.
oh and sarcasm Very Happy

So, your turn.

What have you ever wanted you see and rarely get in your heros?

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Re: I want my Romance hero to...

Post by Yurice on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:26 am

I like heroes who sheds tears for their girl. No, not because of what you've described. Laughing
Tears, as in because he realized he has hurt his girl and is letting go of all control holding back his emotions, even if he has an audience, as in a swarm of people waiting with bated breath on what his next move would be.^^ This guy is Dominic Le Sabre, he's an Alpha male, the control freak/tortured past/ruthless type, but he was man enough to cry for Meg. I still love him for that. Smile

I like it when a hero doesn't do just the manly things, you know like humping every female in sight being macho all the time by fighting/shedding blood, or by demonstrating who's boss, trying to dominate everyone. Rolling Eyes I like it when he's also a nurturer. Like Hawke. Nothing is too small for him when it comes to his pack, whether it's reassigning Lake because his real skills lies elsewhere than a soldier, or comforting the couple who has suffered a miscarriage. Judd is another. He's a lethal arrow, but uses his abilities to heal. And, he also nurtures relationships, not only his, but Drew and Sienna's as well. hehe.

As for heroes who turn me off:
That Nymph king in Gena Showalter's Atlantis series...ok, sex is supposed to be what keeps him and his kind alive, but really...sex? What a Face Why can't it be something more mundane, like blood of the virgins?
Heroes who hurt their girl because he just can't let go of his past/too insecure/whatever issues he's having. Like the hero in Lisa Kleypas's Prince of Dreams. He actually slept with another woman while married to the heroine because he couldn't deal with the emotions she brings out in him. WTF???
Heroes who rape their girl and call it seduction. Yeah right. Rolling Eyes

Yurice

http://hawke-sienna.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 am

Oh... heroes who truly apologize, when they fucked up and don´t blame it on the woman, because she made them mad!

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rageane on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:24 am

How about the Hero who gladly sacrifice their own happiness for the woman's...Like in JR Ward's "Lover Eternal" when Rhage actually agrees to give up his Love and live with a curse for the rest of his existance so that she can survive cancer.
Rageane

Back to top Go down

Post by tabitha on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:36 am

I love Nora Roberts, oddly I hate JD Robb though.

I love romance heros to be something completely unlike I'd choose in real life.

I like my romance heros to be dark and twisty, with a terrible past, be great looking and hopefully, a shapeshifter, vampire or psy. I also likely them to be very masculine and protective.

I hate pocessive men in real life. That and liars and people who can't admit they are wrong.

Judd is pretty much my perfect hero Very Happy

Maybe Vasic will be too (I hope)
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:43 am

Yeah, Judd is kinda perfekt. I love tortured heros.

If the rest fits

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:14 am

I'd like a realllly logical hero.

I'm tired of seeing the women run circles around their supposed other half in arguments. Just once I'd like him to call her on playing mind games with him, lol.

So... Judd, basically.

Or Walker.
Not that I love Walker or anything... Neutral

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:06 pm

I want my romance Hero to be smart, masculine, confident, protective and of course good looking, but not be a man ho. I don't want him to have slept with everything female. It's perfectly fine for him to have been really selective.

So basically Judd or Hawke.

Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:23 pm

A man whore would be ok.
If he admitted it.
I actually would love to see a man admit that he slept around and regret it

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Seriously, it seems like if there is someone regretting sleeping around it is always the heroine.

Which is sort of funny in a sick way - usually the woman had sex once whereas the man is a VIP at the local brothel or has friends with benefits in every city. And he's forgiving her! Whaaat?

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:13 am

This is what I´m talking about.
Something different.

Or a romance hero, who is not an obviously Uber-Alpha

The second row that keeps silent and never orders anyone around, only to step up and save the day, when nessecary.

Guys like.. hrm.. Walker *g*

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:04 am

Noooo!!!! Competition for Walker!!!! lol

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:21 pm

I want a big, strong man with dark hair. He should be a little rough but you know ... doing everything for his girl. Protecting her, teasing her and ... dont let her getting hurt. And he should make her know all that.
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Or a romance hero, who is not an obviously Uber-Alpha

The second row that keeps silent and never orders anyone around, only to step up and save the day, when nessecary.

A shadow king.
I really love shadow kings, which is probably why I love Walker. Hawke describes him as actually being more dangerous than Judd - something he hadn't noticed until courting Sienna.

Walker duped Hawke, bwahaha.

Btw, sorry if this seems a little odd - I'm on a headache med right now and it's starting to make me a bit spacey.

Is there a druggy smiley? drunken <- me

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Uag, I guess Walker is the: I am so not dangerous, but if you hurt my family I will kill you, and pretend nothing happened-guy
And Judd is: I am OBVIOUSLY dangerous and you know I will kill you if you hurt ... well anybody ... so dont .... or I will kill you ... muhahahaaaaa.
I dont like those shadow kings. They are so hard to read.
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:33 am

Walker "I´m just a teacher" Lauren

I really REALLY want to know, what he can do.

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Yurice on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:00 am

While I like Walker, he's too much of a father figure for me to...err, consider him a romance hero.^^; Nah, he's a wonderful man, but he's like my own dad, quiet, reliable, always there. His kids doesn't have to say a word, he knows, he understands. And he makes them feel secure, loved, that they belong.
That's who Walker is, despite Silence, he loved his family. My favorite passages of him doesn't involve Lara, but when he took a nearly broken Judd in his arms, and told him he'll always be family. And when he told Marlee she'll always be his child. Those things made Walker very endearing to me. Smile

But yeah, I can't see him in a romantic context, that was the 'problem'. xD

Whatever his abilities are, he is strong enough for the changeling kids to feel secure with him. I don't think of it as his ability to calm them, rather, because they know they're safe in his hands, that he can protect them. :3

Yurice

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:50 am

Is it Happy Ever After's Malcom you mean, TheFLuff? : D

I wrote something about the whole topic a few weeks ago and never published it.. There are different things I like in heroes and some can even do things I hate and I'll still love them, because they still are perfect for their heroines.

I'd like a hero who is much LIKE the heroine. Did you read Lynsay Sands novels? Fuck, she does this all the time. Hero and heroine are completely different from eachother and it is ANNOYING.

And what about a hero that is not the typical Ward guy aka I'm not good enough for my woman BUT I'm a God in bed. What would happen if these guys wouldn't have mindblowing sex? Because, let's face it, this stuff happens in real life. But nope, they're good. And obviously good people have good sex. No, I'm not saying I want a hero who sucks in bed, but does their lovelife HAVE to be perfect? Thanks. And why do they always have to be tortured like that? "Oh, I once didn't help an old lady and 15 years later she died from cancer. I bet if I had helped her she wouldn't have died so soon, with 103 years. Because the world evolves around me and if I don't do everything right everyone will be unhappy." GAH! Often enough they're like 900 years old. But have they ever learned to let things go and learn their fucking lesson?

Does anyone know Sanctuary? I'd like a Nikola. I thought that Alexandra Ivy's Viper would be one. Then I read the novel. And he wasn't. Nikola's educated and all about knowledge is power. A little like Ilona Andrews frostprince. He cares about himself first, but he does care, at least a little and as much as he is able to, about Magnus and maybe also about the rest of the Five. And he's a vampire, he has strength, an ego, but he isn't proud to be a vampire because of the strength, but the value of being able to claim to be the LAST vampire on earth. The thing is, there are some Nikola's out there, but they change for their woman. And while I wouldn't want Nikola to be as egoticistcal as he is right now in a relationship, I don't like the sudden change. It's unrealistic. So, there it is. I want a realistic Nikola.

Laalalalalala-lalalalalaaaa. (<- the smurfs, everybody)

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:01 am

Jup, Malcolm.. he was just so.. believable. Down to the: Sheesh, woman, I don´t have to talk about how I stubbed my toe as 5 year old, just leave me the fuck alone for a few minutes, will you?

Never expected to find this in a Nora Roberts Novel.

But yes, you nailed it pretty good, if a hero doesn´t have problems.. well let´s invent some.

Perhaps that´s why I like Zsadist (did I hear someone saying Ward? *g*)
That guy actually HAS problems. In capital letters PROBLEMS...

He needs a little prodding and then chews them up, spits them out and carries pink baby toys with skullls and bones on them around in the back pocket of his jeans.

Oftentimes this whining around about things is very much female. And that´s a major turn off.

And no, I don´t know Sanctuary, more info please Very Happy

PS: what I like about Kresley Cole btw. is that her heros more often than not are so atypical.

eg. Lothaire

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:33 am

TheFLuff wrote:Jup, Malcolm.. he was just so.. believable. Down to the: Sheesh, woman, I don´t have to talk about how I stubbed my toe as 5 year old, just leave me the fuck alone for a few minutes, will you?

Never expected to find this in a Nora Roberts Novel.

But yes, you nailed it pretty good, if a hero doesn´t have problems.. well let´s invent some.

Perhaps that´s why I like Zsadist (did I hear someone saying Ward? *g*)
That guy actually HAS problems. In capital letters PROBLEMS...

He needs a little prodding and then chews them up, spits them out and carries pink baby toys with skullls and bones on them around in the back pocket of his jeans.

Oftentimes this whining around about things is very much female. And that´s a major turn off.

And no, I don´t know Sanctuary, more info please Very Happy

PS: what I like about Kresley Cole btw. is that her heros more often than not are so atypical.

eg. Lothaire

While I liked Zsadist he was an Acheron of a hero. You know, the books where you finish the novel, sit down and think to yourself: "Well, that was wee bit too much, he didn't get away with anything, did he?" He was my favorite, though. : ) I just wish there were less tortured heroes, or.. if they're tortured than at least for believable reasons. : ) All the selfdoubts.. Well, they'd be okay if the hero would act accordingly, yet the only thing he does NOT manage is commiting to a female. Bleh.

The female thing I don't have a problem with. To be honest, I don't associate whining with women at all, but with men. Women are told to be more in contact with their emotions, which leads to things like crying, but it also balances them out. Men allegedly ignore things. They see something and they ignore. That's it. And it leads to major cases of stupidity. If men really are like that, they don't ever learn to cope, which leads to extreme guilt, unability to move on, whining, pity parties, narcissm etc.

I'm not saying women and men really are like that, but this is the way it's ACTUALLY portrayed, yet people interpret it differently. Or maybe I really am the only one. Somehow, people often enough don't see the difference between crying and whining etc.

A 'female' thing is imo what many of the Changelings do and they probably do it because women want them to- Knowing who their mate is. They seduce her, they fight for her, they are protective. These things rarely happen in real life in such a short timespan. The Changelings (and Psy) in Nalini's books - and books like hers' - are very much in touch with their emotions (and animal half), they might have problems to commit sometimes (because they still are male) but they also have no issues with the realization that they love a woman. They might have issues with the circumstances, but that's it. - This is -in real life- a character trait women are told to have, because submitting to emotions and acknowledging the fact that one is in love is a female thing to do. Love is a female word. Lust? Okay. Love? No way.

I'd like a hero who is less.. possessive. It starts in fairy tales where kings and queens want to HAVE a child, no matter what. Or where the prince or princess needs to have a spouse. It's always about having, possessing someone. I think people have forgotten that there is more than that. And I don't mean love in the typical sense. I mean a sort of friendship. Oh and yes, where the heck are friendships? I know that there are relationships where the couple is in love, but not friends with eachother. Must suck.. But if authors try to give us HEAs they could at least make the heroine and hero laugh and have fun and stuff like that. *sigh*

Sanctuary is a TV show about several people. Helen Magnus is the Sanctuary's 'leader' and more than 150 years old, I think. She lived in the UK and together with 4 other people - Watson, Jack the Ripper (who was also her lover), Nikola and this other guy.. - she injected some very old blood. Everyone of them got an ability: Nikola became a vampire, she became immortal, Jack's able to teleport, Watson.. I don't know, I think he got even more intelligent and the other guy is able to become invisible. Jekyl and Hyde also appear. Well, anyways, years later - NOW - she alone leads the Sanctuary with the help of some other people. It's about supernatural beings who need sanctuary and about protecting the world from them, too. I don't know, it's not the best of series' but it's entertaining enough. Especially the Jack and Nikola episodes. And Jekyl/Hyde wasn't that bad either.

Kresley Cole and I.. We just don't work out, I think. But maybe I'll like Lothaire. MAYBE he won't abduct his heroine! *gasp* Isn't she a human? That might make the novel readable! : )

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Oh well.. he DOES abduct her.
From her own execution.

ANd he´s very badass evil.
Not a little bit just somehow misunderstood, actually a good guy evil, but downright... bad

And believe me, you so don´t need to worry about any of her heros abducting their heroines. after all, the ladies all are very well capable of dumping their man in the jungle and going on by themselves Very Happy

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Yurice on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:06 pm

This may be a difference in upbringing or culture thing, but I can't see how being in touch with your emotions is a female thing.^^ I certainly wasn't taught I ought to be more emotional because it's what is expected of me. The men in my family are emotional creatures, my mom claims that my dad has more maternal instincts than she does. lol. Between my brother and me, he's the one who's showy about his feelings, more affectionate to others than me. I come off standoffish, because I don't do the hugging/kissing friends/family my brother does so naturally. But meh...

About the changelings, are they in touch with their emotions? Certainly. In order for them to know what they want, they'll have to be. But I see them more as assertive, rather than just merely 'emotional'.

And about friendships in relationships...I think Nalini's couples demonstrate this. Judd and Brenna goes for early morning runs together, nothing sexual, just enjoying time together. Hawke and Sienna played games, discuss military stuff, gawd, just how romantic is that? Laughing Walker and Lara talks...nothing raunchy or even anything romantic, just things that matters to them. :3

And...
I still want Nyx and Lothaire dangit! T_T Just who the heck is this Elizabeth??? Mad
And yeah, in Kresley's world, the only abducted heroine is a willing one. Laughing

Yurice

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:12 pm

And believe me, you so don´t need to worry about any of her heros abducting their heroines. after all, the ladies all are very well capable of dumping their man in the jungle and going on by themselves

I read the books and didn't like them and this particular trope. It wasn't about their strength, but about the abduction itself. Do. Not. Like.

Yurice wrote:This may be a difference in upbringing or culture thing, but I can't see how being in touch with your emotions is a female thing.^^ I certainly wasn't taught I ought to be more emotional because it's what is expected of me. The men in my family are emotional creatures, my mom claims that my dad has more maternal instincts than she does. lol. Between my brother and me, he's the one who's showy about his feelings, more affectionate to others than me. I come off standoffish, because I don't do the hugging/kissing friends/family my brother does so naturally. But meh...

Yeah, that's actually proving the point.

About the changelings, are they in touch with their emotions? Certainly. In order for them to know what they want, they'll have to be. But I see them more as assertive, rather than just merely 'emotional'.

And about friendships in relationships...I think Nalini's couples demonstrate this. Judd and Brenna goes for early morning runs together, nothing sexual, just enjoying time together. Hawke and Sienna played games, discuss military stuff, gawd, just how romantic is that? Laughing Walker and Lara talks...nothing raunchy or even anything romantic, just things that matters to them. :3

First thing, very true, but it includes the emotional part, so I didn't think about exploring the whole thing further.. And now you made me think about it. This night is going to be short. xD

Hm, yes. I wasn't satisfied with their friendships, because of the focus.. BUT for PNR it was okay enough, I suppose. : )

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:13 pm

Patricia wrote:
And believe me, you so don´t need to worry about any of her heros abducting their heroines. after all, the ladies all are very well capable of dumping their man in the jungle and going on by themselves

I read the books and didn't like them and this particular trope. It wasn't about their strength, but about the abduction itself. Do. Not. Like.

What5 I very much like in Kresley Coles books, is, that it isn´t about the male/female thing most of the time.
The abductions aren´t about "if we´re alone, she´ll have to love me"
They´re about subtracting an adversary from the equation without outright killing her and pissing off her friends.
True gender equality

It´s just normal interaction and not some neanderthal love thingie. Which absolutely works for me.
Oh.. and there are plenty of guys abducted as well.
It´s a dangerous world

As for emotions and being whiny...

It´s very female to go over the same problem again and again and again and then start over.
But in romance, that´s what alot of men do... and.. that´s my total turn off.

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Yurice on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:28 pm

lol ok, I get it now. xD

Men who are so fixated about something, they can't see anything else.^^ Yeah, I can definitely see that in romance heroes, I just didn't associate it as a female trait. Laughing

Yurice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top