Branded By Fire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Branded By Fire

Post by boog1956 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:18 pm

This book came out earlier than I expected. Was anyone else disappointed in this book? It opened up several new topics and characters including the Silver blade sentinel Hamiilton mentioned and which Mercy points toward Indigo. I just felt Nalini thru out lots of info but did not tie anything tigether or explain the Human Alliance motives clearly. Am I missing something

boog1956

Back to top Go down

Re: Branded By Fire

Post by Katherine on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi boog,
Lets hold off on discussing Branded By Fire until after the official release date.

I'll be creating a special Spoilers forum just for that purpose. Would have created it already except Nalini asked me not to.

But to answer your question...
Spoiler:

...nope I wasn't disappointed at all. Absolutely loved it.
Katherine
Admin

http://nalini.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladyhawke on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:43 am

I'm in love with this book! When I found out that it got released early, I ran out and bought it (even tho I have another copy coming via Amazon)..and read it in a day and a half.

I wasn't disappointed in the story at all...but I'll hold off with spoilery discussion until later Smile

LH.

Ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:16 pm

It was a keeper for me. My favourite after Slave to Sensation. I thought the romance was very strong. (And I hope that's not spoilery!)

kat

http://bookthingo.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuarie on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Not done with the book but I am not disappointed so far. Sparks fly!
Fuarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:49 pm

I really enjoyed the book. A lot of stuff went on, it was pretty intense. One thing I can't stop thinking about is Sienna. I wasn't totally for her and Hawke getting together, but this book def hinted at it. So it upset me when she and Kit were holding hands at the end. I can't wait to find out more about her power. I find it interesting that it reacts so strongly to being around Hawke. Maybe Hawke's mate did die, but he has a special kind of connection with Sienna through her power, instead of him being a changeling. That would give him a second chance at a special bond.

Erika

Back to top Go down

Post by evedallas on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:32 am

I have a theory about Hawke's mate. It is mentioned both of them were too young when she died. Maybe she wan't actually his mate but he thought she was or maybe I'm just trying to find scenarious in wich Sienna ends up as his mate. Sienna's powers & Hawke's effect on them is also very interesting & Hawke also has a distinct dislike for Psy(so it'll be great to see all these factors are overcome). I so hope they end up together & we don't have to bear with Kit & Sienna's pairing.

evedallas

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladyhawke on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:29 am

I don't think that Sienna's powers are affected by Hawke insomuch as Sienna loses the tight control that she needs over them when she's around Hawke. There is so much unspoken between the two of them...Sienna b/c she's new to the volatile emotions she's feeling, and Hawke for a plethora of other reasons, her age, and his belief that his "real" mate died, not withstanding.

The whole Kit/Sienna thing at the end...imo, is one of two things. A wrench that Nalini has thrown in to make Hawke finally own up to his feelings for Sienna and what she means to him, or Kit and Sienna developing a close enough bond that Kit can help her gain control and understand all of her mixed up emotions. I mean, its got to be hard for him to know that he's going to be a future alpha, and he's just now gotten soldier status (right?) so the amount of expectation he's dealing with has got to be riding him hard. I would think he and Sienna would have something in common and be a much needed sounding board for each other as they navigate through the perils of growing up in a changeling world. Kit just might help Sienna come to grips with her feelings for Hawke.

I'll take any other Hawke/Sienna thoughts to the appropriate forum lol.

I really enjoyed learning more about the Snowdancer pack in general, and Riley's my new fave male character, right after Hawke, Lucas, and Judd.

And Sasha and Lucas are having a baby!

There was so much good stuff in this book...I read it in a day...and then read it again, LOL.

I can't wait for the next installment.

Ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post by boog1956 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:58 pm

I started this by saying I was dissappointed which is not accurate. I just liked CBI and HTP better. What about Tatina-Rakina Smith from the Psy Council how did she control the chairman from the Human Alliance? Can she do this with any of the others? Do you think Henry planted the suggestions in the Psy who have been commiting violent acts? Lots of new ideas.

boog1956

Back to top Go down

Post by lili on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:26 pm

I absolutely, positively love this book. I think Slave to Sensation will always be my favorite but Branded by Fire is right on its heels. There were so many new characters (all of which I want stories for) and the story with the Human Alliance and the psy were addicting. Mercy and Riley are two great characters who got the incredible story they deserved. I was really glad that we were able to see more into the members and structure of each of the packs, due in great part to how central these two characters are to their respective packs. Of course, the fact that we were able to see more of the alphas and their interaction with one another was another huge point in this book's favor. I feel that Nalini just gets better at creating these amazing character-driven stories in each novel and I can't wait to read Dev's, then Max's story.

lili

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuarie on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:17 pm

You guys are missing the fact that not everyone gets a mating bond...thus seen with Nate's parents if you guys remember. Hawke will love but it won't be a bond. Still not done yet but I am completely blown away by Nikita's gift to Sascha. I didn't think she had it in her. I've always ALWAYS pictured Sienna with Kit..I don't know why.
Fuarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladyhawke on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Fuarie wrote:You guys are missing the fact that not everyone gets a mating bond...thus seen with Nate's parents if you guys remember. Hawke will love but it won't be a bond. Still not done yet but I am completely blown away by Nikita's gift to Sascha. I didn't think she had it in her. I've always ALWAYS pictured Sienna with Kit..I don't know why.

I never read Nate/Tammy's story...so I guess I "missed" that. Even tucking that bit of knowledge away...I still think that Hawke and Sienna will have a bond...since whatever is between them now is pretty powerful...powerful enough that even the DR changelings who've seen Sienna and Hawke together know something is up between the two of them.

The idea of Hawke and Sienna caught my attention in StS, from their first interactions (Sienna becoming suddenly interested in Hawke's flirting with Sascha; their verbal sparring about generalizing all Psy together, etc), and nothing in BbF presented itself to dissuade me of that notion--especially not with the conversations about and between the two of them. The Sienna/Kit thing, imo is just another added complication...but I guess we'll see as the series progresses.

Ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Rageane on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:35 pm

I am not seeing the Kit/Sienna situation as a complication at all. Can you tell me that Dorian/Mercy didn't hold hands and go off together when they were younger? Just because they are holding hands doesn't mean in the least that they are having a romance...they can be creating the type of relationship just like Dorian and Mercy have. Who is to say that Sienna isn't clinging to Kit because she can stay in control around him and is finding it a relief and a crutch for the moment.
Rageane

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladyhawke on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:33 pm

Honestly...and I think I stated this somewhere in some thread, but I don't quite remember which one...Sienna and Kit are drawn together (altho, I think that's too strong a phrase for what, imo, was 2 kids going off somewhere to get away from grown-ups) simply b/c they find they have things in common. Kit is going to be alpha someday...but he's not there yet, and I'm sure there's a ton of training and complicated emotions that come with knowing, for a fact, that one day, you could either lead your current pack...or be capable of creating your own. He's what, 20?, right now...that's quite a lot to think about at that early of an age. Then you have Sienna, who, for all intents and purposes is an extremely powerful something, who's got all these other mixed up emotions about Hawke...emotions that she's not used to having in the first place, being Psy.

The Dorian/Mercy analogy is perfect...I honestly don't think it's going anywhere but to do one of 2 things. I'm pretty sure, if I'm reading romance stories correctly (:-p) that Hawke, at some point, will invariably misinterpret something between Sienna and Kit...and it'll help focus his feelings instead of denying them. Secondly...I think it's just to help anchor Sienna in a group where feeling emotions doesn't have to be as volatile as it seems to be with Hawke. It'll help slow her down, and get used to having emotions in the first place...again, making it possible for her to have a meaningful relationship with Hawke (or someone else Sad ) without, you know...destroying the whole den.

We'll just have to see where it goes as the s/l progresses...sadly...not fast enough ;-p

Ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuarie on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:12 pm

I finished the book and I have to say I cried when I read the part about Hawke hearing the howl and running as fast as he possible could to get there then Luc and Tammy showed up right after him...Its touching to see how much the alphas really care about those who are close to them. I still get a funny feeling about the Hawke and Sienna thing...but hey you never know right. There wasn't a moment of disapointment..this was truely and awsome book.
Fuarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Celebes on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:31 am

Nope, disappointed is not the appropriate word here. More like confused and left somewhat hanging. Especially the part, why the PSY where being coerced/brainwashed to kill innocent lives. But I'm so thrilled that finally Lucas and Sascha is going to have a baby! (wonder if the mite, will be an empath-changeling hehehehe, we sure hoped so...) cheers

Last edited by Celebes on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:08 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Too harsh heheh. Sorry...)
Celebes

Back to top Go down

Post by droplet on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:28 pm

Celebes wrote:Nope, disappointed is not the appropriate word here. More like confused and left somewhat hanging. Especially the part, why the PSY where being coerced/brainwashed to kill innocent lives.

Celebes, if I understood the book correctly, the Psy were being coerced to kill because it fit the agenda of what Councilor Henry Scott wanted. Henry thinks of any Psy not perfect products of Silence as "dull primates" and believes that those who are flawed need to be either rehabilitated or re-conditioned. Because the other Councilors do not see the need for change in the conditioning process (and also probably don't think the same as him), Henry had to force their hand.

By coercing other Psy to commit violent acts, to anyone not looking too deeply at why they were committing the acts, it looked as if the PsyNet was becoming more unstable. As Shoshanna mentioned, she heard whispers that Psy believe the incidents were caused by the breakdown of Silence, and the Council had to do something to lessen the occurrence of violence (or at least look like they were doing something).

So, they offered voluntary rehabilitation, and all of a sudden the violence stopped. Then, Henry said, "It may be that the aim of the events has been realized. We are now, after all, offering voluntary reconditioning. It's a step in the right direction - toward perfect Silence." And, Kaleb belives that Henry was behind it all, too.

Hope that helped!
droplet

Back to top Go down

Post by Celebes on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:10 am

Ic, again thank you for the wonderful insight...you've helped a lot! Embarassed
Celebes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rageane on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:57 pm

droplet wrote:
Celebes wrote:Nope, disappointed is not the appropriate word here. More like confused and left somewhat hanging. Especially the part, why the PSY where being coerced/brainwashed to kill innocent lives.

Celebes, if I understood the book correctly, the Psy were being coerced to kill because it fit the agenda of what Councilor Henry Scott wanted. Henry thinks of any Psy not perfect products of Silence as "dull primates" and believes that those who are flawed need to be either rehabilitated or re-conditioned. Because the other Councilors do not see the need for change in the conditioning process (and also probably don't think the same as him), Henry had to force their hand.

By coercing other Psy to commit violent acts, to anyone not looking too deeply at why they were committing the acts, it looked as if the PsyNet was becoming more unstable. As Shoshanna mentioned, she heard whispers that Psy believe the incidents were caused by the breakdown of Silence, and the Council had to do something to lessen the occurrence of violence (or at least look like they were doing something).

So, they offered voluntary rehabilitation, and all of a sudden the violence stopped. Then, Henry said, "It may be that the aim of the events has been realized. We are now, after all, offering voluntary reconditioning. It's a step in the right direction - toward perfect Silence." And, Kaleb belives that Henry was behind it all, too.

Hope that helped!

Are we sure it was Henry and not Tatianna? She wouldn't be in the condition she is in from manipulating the humans in the periferal way she was. I am thinking it was her all along...and everyone is falling for it hook, line and sinker that Henry is the fall guy. Suspect
Rageane

Back to top Go down

Post by droplet on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:33 pm

Hmm, I thought Tatiana was only responsible for manipulating the Human Alliance into assassinating the rest of the Councilors, but that's a good observation...Tatiana would've had to exert extreme force to bypass a Psy's mental shields and also force a compulsion that strong, whereas controlling a human would've been easier. But then again, she must've been controlling the HA leader(s) for a long time, and I wonder how she benefits from the mass reconditionings...ah! I can't wait for BoM to find out more!

To be honest, I kind of like Tatiana...so cutthroat, but also so canny and sly.
droplet

Back to top Go down

Post by Madhura on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:44 am

Just finished BbF and absolutely loved it. Infact, it gave StS a run for its money as my favorite.

I loved the snippets we got about Hawke/Sienna. I do think they will end up together. I thought Riley talking to Hawke about his "frustrations" was very interesting. Riley saying that she is too young and there will be quite a few of them who will go after Hawke if he does something about her made me think he was talking about Sienna. Also interesting is that Hawke knows Sienna has a crush on him. If he really did not have any feelings for her, there would have been no wall-kicking/such strong reaction to her sudden passivity. I think Hawke does feel for her, but her age, race and his belief that his mate is dead is really holding him back.

Now, the Kit/Sienna development is good. Can't wait to see where Nalini goes with that.

Finally Riley and Mercy were so perfect for each other. I loved Riley. He is so strong, loyal and passionate. Nalini is so good at writing strong characters, I just love her stories.

Madhura

Back to top Go down

Post by CiLi on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:21 am

Also interesting is that Hawke knows Sienna has a crush on him

I know which scene you mean Madhura (with Sascha, when she said, that Hawke has to let her go). But does he
really know, that she is in love with him?

I think Sienna herself does't know about her feelings. And maybe
I got it wrong, but a crush can also mean: a problem???

I didn't understand some vocabular (english is not my language) and looked up some words I didn't understand.
One of them was "crush"... I just couldn't imagine, that Hawke meant, that she is in love with him and so
I get the feeling, that he meant she should get over her problem instead of being in love???
CiLi

Back to top Go down

Post by Madhura on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:35 am

I thought of it more as Hawke thinking Sienna is infatuated with him.

I agree with you in that Sienna is probably new to feelings and does not recognize if she is in love with him or if it is a simple crush. Although I suspect she is getting towards the former Very Happy

As for Hawke, there were strong hints that he also feels something for her. I felt he is really fighting his reaction to her.

Madhura

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top