The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOO as the final book in the first story arch?

+13
Jane
Sarah18
Katherine
TheFLuff
Bella171901
Elaine
Roxsan
Patricia
ashleydevlin
tabitha
degdelta
CassB
Palestblue
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

HOO as the final book in the first story arch? Empty HOO as the final book in the first story arch?

Post by Palestblue Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:48 am

So I was wondering - do you think HOO might end the first story arch of the series?

Nalini said in an interview after KOS, that she thinks there are 2 to 4 more books to come until.the story arch ends.

So what if it's 2 rather than 4? Would that mean HOO HAS to be Kaleb's book and that he is the ghost? I think it would make sense when you look at the character building in TON (Kaleb saving part of the net with his incredibke psychic strength, Kaleb finally finding the person he was looking for for years).

Might Kaleb be the key to save the net (seeing that he has a deep connection to it, including both halves of the net mind)?

Might Kaleb be the ghost after all? I have always wished for Vasic to be the ghost, but since the ghost is gonna be the key when it comes to saving (or destroying) the net, I think it would make more sense for Kaleb to be the ghost, seeing all his abilities and his connection to the net.

What do you think?
Palestblue
Palestblue

Back to top Go down

HOO as the final book in the first story arch? Empty Re: HOO as the final book in the first story arch?

Post by CassB Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Through reading this forum, I have gleamed that Nalini has stated that the Ghost's story would be the last book in the main story arc and that HoO is generally believed not to be the last book in the arc. Using this logic, HoO cannot be the Ghost's story.

But I have not personally read this info about the arc and the Ghost's story location (I am not doubting anyone, but sometimes things get stated enough and become fact when it was more a possibility or a thought), and it also seemed to me as we progress through the series that the Ghost's story would be so earth-shattering, especially for the PsyNet, that it makes more sense to me that the Ghost's story would be a vital driver for the arc rather than an ending. But that is simply a feeling.

I think it would just be strange for Kaleb not to be the main character of HoO. With the cliff hanger at the end of ToN, Kaleb and his mysterious lady will have to be addressed. I suppose it could continue to a subplot but that doesn't feel right to me. The only other characters that seem ready for a book, besides Kaleb, that fit at all with the blurb are Aden, Vasic, and Alice (I am of course likely forgetting someone).

My problem is I do think Kaleb is the Ghost and that HoO will feature Kaleb as the hero. But others are convinced from interviews or emails with Nalini that I haven't read, that this is not possible. The only other candidate for the Ghost that seems viable (unless it is a minor char or a really weird twist) is Vasic, but my intrepretations of various passages eliminate him as a possiblity. I believe, but am not certain, the Ghost is Kaleb but I am certain it is not Vasic, to the point I will be shocked and have to reread all his appearances if he turns out to be. (Obviously, others will intrepret differently, I am NOT trying to anger or offend people who do believe Vasic is the Ghost, I could most certainly be wrong.)

So, such strong beliefs put me in a quandray and I worry I will be really disappointed. I am sure HoO will be great, but I do worry I have gotten my expectations too high. I rarely obsess about a book to this extent. And truthfully, part of the problem has been the countdowns on Nalini's blog. I was bitterly disappointed about the blurb. In hindsight, I fully understand why she did what she did, but the countdown raised false expectations and I was majorly bummed.

CassB
CassB

Back to top Go down

HOO as the final book in the first story arch? Empty Re: HOO as the final book in the first story arch?

Post by Palestblue Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52 am

Yeah Cass, I agree with you on everything - I have the same high expectations and I, too, worrx about being disappointed. It's true that it would have been fine not To knoe the main characters till release and not get any previous intel about the book other than a cover and a blurb that don'd give anything away. But the whole was kinda misleading amd that bummed me out as well.
Palestblue
Palestblue

Back to top Go down

Post by degdelta Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:42 am

For a bit I thought that the ultimate shell game would be that the Councilor who got blown up (can't remember his name) and was replaced by Kaleb might be the ghost.

One problem - the ghost was having lunch with some functionary when that happened. So, it's either Kaleb or Vasic, as far as we can tell.

(whining) I WANT TO KNOW NOW!!!

degdelta

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:10 am

Marshall.
And he wasn´t replaced by Kaleb, but by Anthony.

I have thought of it as well.
But it doesn´t fit.

And HoO is NOT the last book in the current, second, story Arc

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by tabitha Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 am

I think HOO is going to be Vasic's book. Wait... I mentioned that like a million times already Very Happy
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Post by degdelta Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:19 pm

That left him with the Obsidian archive. Created by the Netmind, the neosentience that was the guardian and librarian of the Net, the Obsidian archive was a backup in case the PsyNet ever suffered a catastrophic failure. The Ghost had named it Obsidian because the complexity of data within it made it all but a wall of black. On a rare few individuals had ever realized the Obsidian archive existed.

Pg. 180 of the hardback KoS. (chapter 22)

So... heart of the Obsidian archive, eh?

hmmmm....

degdelta

Back to top Go down

Post by CassB Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 pm

@degdelta That's what is driving me nuts. There are strong clues for both Kaleb and the Ghost in this book. To the point that I think it is both -- Kaleb is the Ghost and this is his book. But according to reports of Nalini's plans for the arc, that can't be right! [Smashing puzzle pieces together in my head to make them fit together.]
CassB
CassB

Back to top Go down

Post by degdelta Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:18 pm

This shows the brillance of NS's storytelling ability. The clues point in more than one direction, which gives incredible depth to the whole.

On one hand the Ghost could be Kaleb - there are things written that make one believe it must be him. On the other hand it could be Vasic - he too has motive and ability to fit the tiny bit of info we've been given.

Is it June yet?

degdelta

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleydevlin Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:25 am

I have always thought kaleb and Ghost to be same. i can't explain it, in my heart its just that way.

ashleydevlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:02 am

degdelta wrote:
That left him with the Obsidian archive. Created by the Netmind, the neosentience that was the guardian and librarian of the Net, the Obsidian archive was a backup in case the PsyNet ever suffered a catastrophic failure. The Ghost had named it Obsidian because the complexity of data within it made it all but a wall of black. On a rare few individuals had ever realized the Obsidian archive existed.

Pg. 180 of the hardback KoS. (chapter 22)

So... heart of the Obsidian archive, eh?

hmmmm....

My brain might have just exploded.
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxsan Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Don't know where else to post this but just so everyone knows, the UK cover of Heart of Obsidian is now out. Smile
Heart of Obsidian UK Cover
Roxsan
Roxsan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 am

and it's goooorgeous.
but why the closed eyes?

how true to hero are the UK covers usually?

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxsan Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:55 am

Fairly close I believe, except that the eyes are the wrong colour half the time. Rolling Eyes I imagine the closed eyes is symbolic....not sure as to what though confused
Roxsan
Roxsan

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaine Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:44 am

The eyes are closed to maintain secrecy or mystery of the story and subject:

= Cardinal eyes may indicate Kaleb as hero
= Grey eyes may be Vasic
= Dark brown eyes may be Aden
= other, no idea
Elaine
Elaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:33 am

whoever it is... he has the longest fucking eyelashes I ever saw Very Happy

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by degdelta Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:27 am

Not Aden. He's described as unmistakably Asian. This guy is not.

degdelta

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxsan Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:51 am

True that! We can cross one 'who is the hero' theory off the list. Wink
Roxsan
Roxsan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm

what happens when the arch ends?
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:21 am

silence will fall!

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:20 pm

..WHEN THE QUESTION IS ASKED.

Was the cover model for Tally and Clay's book dark? I don't own all the UK editions and I'm too lazy to log into Goodreads from my laptop, tbh. D:

Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:49 am

What I can tell you, is that the covermodel for BoJ wasn´t asian Very Happy

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:48 am

uhm... help me out ladies..on the cover of HoO... is the guy holding something in his right hand?
like a small jewelery chain wrapped around it?
or am I imaginating things?

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CassB Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:22 pm

I am not sure myself, but I know that on some other forum, someone was convinced he was holding something in his hand. The person apparently blew up the cover and was certain that something can be seen. I have not been able to zoom that closely. Again, the other person's guess was the small star Kaleb carries around. If there is something in his hand, I think that points right at Kaleb--he is the only character where something like that would be majorly significant.
CassB
CassB

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:11 am

I can do some photoshopmagic and try to get a clearer picture.

But it definately looks like it.

And how convenient is it, that we only see the hero in profile and can´t get a clear look at his eyes?

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next