The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X-Psy

+10
twixter_tea
Jane
Patricia
Bella171901
whynot9
Cadence
lanilani26
Rageane
Katherine
arne
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

X-Psy - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Psy

Post by Schainize Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Yes and no...I liked him too...as a nice kind of guy!
But I certainly liked Wolverine better, especially if Hugh Jackman is playing the part... Embarassed
Schainize
Schainize

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Everytime I read the Name "Hugh Jackman" I have to think about Dr. Cox from Scrubs and his strange hate for Hugh Jackman.

"klops" that's a good one. ANd his nickname in school would be "klopsy"

Very Happy
Serena
Serena

http://serenareads.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Gosh Klopsi? xDDDDD Oh damn, that's awfull!

Scrubs.. Everyone's loving it but I never got into it, because I ALWAYS missed the first episode and didn't want to start in the middle of something. BUT I don't like easy-going-tv-shows, movies or books. There are millions of people who love How I met your mother etc. and I simply don't see anything of appeal there. Hmm..
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:03 pm

That is so off-topic.. xD
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:06 pm

Then let's move to the off-topic...topic Very Happy
Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Ahem. Did I already mention that the X-Designation is a really tragic thing?

*yells like a lunatic:* IT'S A REALLY TRAGIC THING!
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:16 am

Yes, it is. Really really tragic. And did I mention that X-psy are very, very, very, very rare? I mean, really rare. If they were animals they would be on the red list.
Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:59 am

And, oh! Wait, has anyone told you yet that cardinal X-Psy are SO rare that no one even knows if there has ever been one? Like EVER? Damn, they are the kind of.. old Buffy episodes without melodrama-rare where cardinal E-Psy where rare in the Gilmore Girls episodes where the authors did care about continuity (I mean, COME ON!)-kind of way.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:44 am

Patricia wrote:And, oh! Wait, has anyone told you yet that cardinal X-Psy are SO rare that no one even knows if there has ever been one? Like EVER? Damn, they are the kind of.. old Buffy episodes without melodrama-rare where cardinal E-Psy where rare in the Gilmore Girls episodes where the authors did care about continuity (I mean, COME ON!)-kind of way.

So they are like Nessie. I mean, not that Renesmee thing from Twilight Mad I mean the Loch Ness monster. So cute.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:45 am

question: Why is it a tregedy?
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:18 am

Hahaha Renesmee xD They are more Renesmee than Nessie, though.

Everyone heart rumors of the Loch Ness-monster but there were not so much people who knew about Nessie being able to be born. Smile

What do you mean, Bella171901?
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:52 pm

its a myth. Just a few have seen it.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Nah, I mean.. you asked why it was a tragedy. Can you quote what you mean?
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:56 pm

I mean why is it a tragedy to be a X-Psy. And why would Nature create an ability like this if its a tragedy?
IF it really is one, it must be something that would be the opposite too.
What would be the meaning of something like that if not?
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Nature does this often. Every natural decease is a mutation of cells. Why would there be cancer? Why is there H.I.V.? Even if those deceases have reasons (like eg a headache has), they're nothing anyone would like to have. Also, everything has ups and downs. Sascha can help people but she feels their pain all the time. Someone who knows what everyone's thinking knows every secret, but the likelihood for him or her to become insane is higher as well. In some ways you could say: The more extraordinary the ability the more dangerous the sideeffects.

If you want to read a book-series where the author explains why the characters have their abilities, you might check out Mind Games & Double Cross by Carolyn Crane. I can highly recommend it. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6890220)

Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

X-Psy - Page 2 Empty lets see..

Post by ..::PCT::.. Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:03 am

Again, this thread is nearly a year old, but i just read KoS and like in the TK-thread, i would like to see if we can actually measure her strength or potential by taking some assumptions from the book and add a little bit of math and science to it.

I think Siennas ability is unique in more than one way. Most, or nearly all other psycic powers rely on some sort of energy-transfer. Telepathic for e.g. requiering small amounts of energy while telekinetic ability being very energy-consumptive. But still they are always a transfer of relativly small amounts of energy from the caster to something or someone else to alter the flow of energy at a specific point in space. Sienna on the other hand produces incredibly amounts of energy from literaly nothing. It's not like she is eating all day or sucking here surroundings free of all available energy.

You described beeing X as a sort of disease or tragedy but only because the most simple and only known way to put her incredibly amount of energy to use is, to destroy something with it. But thats like hitting the nitro-switch on an engine thats already spinning in the red zone just to blow it up and call it a weapon. With Walker as valve and filter her energy can actually put to good use, like making Lara super-healer (with super-healer assistant Wink ). In the net it wouldn't be different. She and her valve could link up to someone needing the power, for example a relativly weak telepath and by this multiplying his power and reach.

So far just some of my thoughts, but now there's still the question, how much energy does she actually produce.

Sienna quotes Ming with "If you ever go supernova the continent on which you stand might cease to exist". Right after it she scrachtes the "might" and acknowledges her powers to be even more destructive.

Ok, SF is on the edge of a continent and, lets be kind with her, assume she would "only" blow up 1/3 of the whole USA.
This would take California, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Utah, part of new Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana as well as a part of the californien gulf and a snip of Vancouver Island completly of the World-Map. (scary little girl Very Happy)

This means she would have an explosive/destructive range of roughly 2500 Km in diameter. (very scary little girl Very Happy) The biggest thermonuclear weapon ever tested by mankind was the Zar-Bomb with about 60 Megatons. The bomb detonated at a height of 4 km and the fireball of the explosion nearly touched the ground. The shockwave traveld three times around globe and was still measurable.
The actualy "total destruction range" was measurd by an overlay over a major city and estimated at 35 km in diameter.
Way to go to be on Siennas level.

2500/35 = 71.42 So Siennas synergy would be 71 times as powerful as this bomb (Alright, screw teasing pretty little girls, i will never ever do something that could make her anything the most slightliest angry Suspect ).
Still, the energy provided by a thermonuclear weapon comes from the cataclysmic fusion/fission of its mass so if we assume a similar principle for Siennas synergy we can't take all this power in account for her own energyproduction, only the amount neccesary to start the reaction.
The Zar-bomb was a three-phase-bomb, which means the first detonation was a fission bomb, igniting the second part, being a fusion bomb which ignited the third stage being another fusion bomb. The quotients from the different stages are normaly between 1:20 up to 1:50 and at its physical possible maximum 1:200.
Assuming Sienna a supereffective two-stage bomb, lets take 1:200 and see what this make for her initial critical energylevel for synergy.

60 Mt * 71.42 = 4285,2 / 200 = 21,5 Mt. Ok, 21.5 Mt equals in 86 Petajoule of energy. Lets see in which time she accumulated this amount.

In KoS it's said, it's been over five hours after the end of the fight when Judd came into the infirmary. After that, Hawke went to the lake to see Sienna. They had some private time until she said she was nearly at critical level. Lets make this another 5 hours so we're talking about 86 Petajoule of energy-buildup in about 10 hours.

(86 * 10^15) / (10 * 60 * 60) = 2,4 * 10^12 [J/s].
This would mean Sienna has a rate of energyproduction of 2.4 Terawatt, or to put it in relation to known energy-consumption-statistics, 8.6 TWh (Terawatt-hours).
In 2008 the total world electricity-energy-consumption was at 16,8 TWh, so if you could link Sienna to the energy-grid with an efficiency-factor of 100% she could support half the worlds energy-needs.

Judds comment her being a mini(!!!)-reactor is quite an understatement. Now even we split this amount of energy between the whole SD-pack and give even some of it away to DR through lucas and Hawks bond als well as Riley and Mercy, i still wonder why the didn't simply blew up where ever they were standing when it spread through the net.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

..::PCT::..
..::PCT::..

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:46 am

PCT, I love this! When I read the part about her being able to take out a continent, I sort of scratched my head a bit. She's powerful but, wow, that seemed a teeny, tiny bit extreme. (I think Kaleb is supposed to be even more powerful too.)

Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum