The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

+25
Elisabeth
Lulu2011
TheFLuff
Bella171901
Sycorax
KTL
Grainne
BlueQueen
monadh
FashionSparkles
kitarad
catikins
Daliah
Sarah18
tabitha
devilsworld
Nicole
MissRia
Nina
Rageane
Schainize
Serena
Patricia
TracyTheOncer
twixter_tea
29 posters

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. Empty Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by twixter_tea Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:51 pm

So yeah, Other Awesomely Awesome Books We're Read or Want to Read.

Lover Unleased. Read it. Didn't like it. Waste of my money. Only good parts were Vishous, Jane, Qhuinn and..well everyone but the 'main couple.' And also the whole repeating 'verily' part...GOT ON MY DAMN NERVES.

Also Xcor annoyed me. I think JR Ward is introducing more characters in her book now that she's given everyone a mate. But that's just my opinion.

I love JR Ward books, but this was too rushed for me. Or better yet, a real lack of chemistry for the main couple. I mean, I felt like if she made the feelings a bit more gradual and not put in four differen't storylines...it would've helped more? Maybe.

But thaaaat's just my opinion. Any other good stuff/books your guys been reading?
twixter_tea
twixter_tea

Back to top Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by TracyTheOncer Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:45 pm

I read Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon recently. My only issue with Kenyon (generally, not exactly with this particular book) is that she almost writes "too much" to the point where every character needs a HEA (and there's SO MANY of them) that the background/mythology/war stuff barely progresses. Then, the books for all the characters who I really want to read about end up taking forever to get written.

Other than that, not much. I want to read Magic Slays by I. Andrews too, but that's the same date as KOS.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know!
TracyTheOncer
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by twixter_tea Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:13 pm

A lot of people are reading Sherrilyn Kenyon but I never really read her stuff. But I'm planning on reading it...do u recommend it?

Hahaha. Yeah. I think authors do that so that they don't run out of people to write about...but then it starts to get annoying when theres too much dialogue and your favorite character not having their own story until mucccch later.

I do read Gena Showalter. I like her books. Some of her characters remind me of the psy/changeling series but still makes it unique. I recommend her stuff. Hmm....I like Harry Potter...but that's a given. JK. ROwling is freaking amazing.

You know truthfully I'm seriously picky when I read. Even if I seriously dislike books, I keep reading them till the end just to see whats going to happen. Which is why at this point...I have no books to recommend besides Showalter. Not to say, she's the greatest writer EVER...but she's good and fun to read when you wanna just sit down and read on a rainy day. =]
twixter_tea
twixter_tea

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:34 pm

Did you read Rachel Vincents Shifter/Faythe Sanders-series? I liked it. Back when I read the series for the first time I couldn't handle the end, but now it seems all.. huh, good. Smile

I really enjoyed some Young Adult Debuts this year and I absolutely LOVE Karen Marie Moning's FEVER-Series. Awr, gotta love the story! *_*

I read some Sherrilyn Kenyon-books, but they didn't make me fall for the characters. In the end the most books now are so damn similiar. It's annoying. I'm not saying that Kenyon copies other authors, but that the main plot is always the same:

Man, woman. Attracted to eachother. One seduces the other one. Cosmic problems, bad karma/juju etc. cause one of them to leave the other one or something like that. Something bad happens, person A realizes that he/she doesn't want to live without person B OR everything worked out just fine before, then someone gets kidnapped OR nothing worked out but something bad happens to person B and person A feels responsible or wants to help person B out etc. In the end everything's just fine. Yay. -_-

MHE! I seriously need something NEW! >_< ;]
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:45 pm

I've read a few of Showalter's books! Smile They weren't my absolute favorites, but I didn't dislike them either. They were kind of "yeah, I'll keep reading these when I'm bored." I enjoyed them while I read them but I am not totally obsessed/complete fan girl either (like I am with Singh's books).

I think I like Kenyon a little more than Showalter. However, her story lines also get VERY redundant. I think Patricia commented here on how some of Nalini's heroes are very similar. That has never really gotten to me w/ Singh, as they are still different enough that I still consider all of them unique in various ways. In contrast, this annoys me more with Kenyon, as some of her heroes have basically the same exact back stories. The thing with Kenyon is that there's this entire mythology that I LOVE in it. There's this war going on and I want to see how it all goes down.

My major issue with it is that while it's neat that the world she creates has tons of characters & aspects, she pretty much has decided to give all of the characters HEA's. I wish she would just focus on the main one's (because there's still A LOT of "main" characters). For instance, with her young adult series, she focuses on this Nick character who plays a major role in the adult series. I love what she is doing with this additional series. However, instead of writing maybe 4 books in this young adult series & then giving Nick his "adult book," Kenyon has decided to give it 10-11 books total. Being that she releases one book per year in that series (and one book per year with the adult series), I'm going to be in my 30's by the time it comes out! That a VERY scary thought for me, lol.

Overall, I recommend it. Like I said, the world she creates is really neat and there's a lot of mystery in it regarding the characters. While I like Nalini's writing style better (ie, her phrasing), Kenyon has a lot of humor in her books, which I also love. Some of her books are definitely better than others. However, there are a lot of them!
TracyTheOncer
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Patricia,
I've read the Fever series! The wait for that last one was almost as crazy as this wait for KOS. Overall, I liked them a lot. Mac was great. I have a love/hate relationship with Barrons. He's pretty much a complete jerk, but then again, I love him at the same time, lol! I can't explain it. He's a sexy jerk.
TracyTheOncer
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by TracyTheOncer Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 pm

I also liked the fact that Barrons was different by being such a mysterious bad ass; it was refreshing in the sense that I've never read a "hero" quite like him.
TracyTheOncer
TracyTheOncer

Back to top Go down

Post by twixter_tea Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:02 pm

I like Karen Moning for her Highlander series..YUMMY. YUMMY.

But I never got into the Fever-series. I just couldn't get into it.

Oh. Actually I'm reading Battle Royale by Koushan Takami. Very intense, bloody, graphic and down right scary. I saw the movie first.(BTW, the movie is on google video, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WATCHING IT!)

The book was actually first a japanese manga series that was made into a book, that was made into a movie. ALL AMAZING versions.

There is a bit of teenage romance but overall its a pretty serious book. A MUST-READ AND MUST-WATCH! I'd give you a brief synopsis (w.o spoilers) but I'm not sure if you'd want that. XD
twixter_tea
twixter_tea

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:00 am

Ah, Battle Royale is a good,good,good book. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins are a little similar to Battle Royale, but not in a negative way. Both books are very thought-provoking and a huge must-read. I really like these dystopian books. If anyone has a few recommendations I'm glad to hear it

"Land of the Painted Caves" by Jean M. Auel was published on thursday. I'm really excited! Some people thought the author was deceased because she always takes so long for writing a book. This time, it was almost ten years.

Serena
Serena

http://serenareads.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Schainize Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:37 am

Actually I started reading Kenyons Dark Hunters before I discovered "Slave to sensation" (due to recommendations at amazon.de). Nowadays I like Nalinis stories a lot more, after "Bad Moon Rising" I stopped reading Kenyion because IMHO the stories are getting worse (language and content) and do not longer appear believable. From time to time I read one of the earlier books, especially among the first 10, there are some stories that I still really like...for example "Seize the Night" (got to love Valerius), "Night Play" (I relate to Bride...on so many levels) or "Dance with the Devil" (/me has a thing for the tortured alpha male type of guy Very Happy).
The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J. R. Ward was my first experience with paranormal romance and I've read "Dark lover" in one day Shocked. I'm still following this series, at the moment I'm half way through "Lover unleashed" - momentary attitude towards this book: okay...but not breathtaking. The previous one, "Lover mine", I loved very much. However, there were also some books in this series that stretched my patience to infinity - I still can not relate to Butchs nor Phurys story. *meh*
If I had to choose some kind of favorite author in this genre, NS certainly would get first place, because in the Psy-Changeling-series there wasn't one book I didn't like. I still prefer pack related stories, but also enjoyed Dev and Max - definitely worth reading.

Even though I'm a teacher for german language and literature, I do not read Goethe in my free time. Very Happy
Besides the above you'll find on my nightstand Haruki Murakami, Susanna Tamaro, Maggie Stepfather and Carlos Ruiz Zafon right now. Kindred spirits? Anywhere?
Schainize
Schainize

Back to top Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. Empty Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Kindred spirits? Anywhere?
I have no idea who this other authors are, but I seriously loved Zafon. The man is a genius. Even though people here mostly have no idea who he is, I think of him as one of the best writers I ever read. I am sure time will tell, and we will one day read his books in school.
What I like about him best is that he creates this atmosphere of supernatural and creepy, but in the end shows only purest of reality. And his Cemetery of Forgotten Books...Awesome
La sombra del Viento (how is it translated in English? The Shadow of the Wind? or sth) is my favourite.

Did any one of you read The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng? Mayor wowness of a novel

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Mayor wowness of a novel is The Bookthief by Markus Zusak. Real awesome. Laughed and cried at the same time most time reading it. Books really seldom make me cry. Only the good ones do that.

I've never read anything by J.R Ward. Is it good? Love Unleashed is apparently not that great but the others?

Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by Rageane Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:23 pm

I think I can recommend a couple of authors if you are interested...they are more of a Sci/Fi-Fantasy genre, but both are very good. The first is the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, Mercy has men crawling out of the woodwork for her...and not a one of them is human! The other is the Lupi series by Eileen Wilks, this one is mostly about an alternate earth that lives with all types of magic, and the FBI even has a division to investigate crimes of magical ilk...both are very good reads, in my opinion.
Rageane
Rageane

Back to top Go down

Post by twixter_tea Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Haruki Murakami is amazing. Love his works. And yeah Serena, J.R Ward is pretty cool. Her books and her characters are sexy, alpha, strong, and beast. XD It's only her latest book ''Lover Unleashed'' that kind of made her fans go ''.....ehhh...."

But she's great!
twixter_tea
twixter_tea

Back to top Go down

Post by Schainize Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:51 am

Serena wrote:

I've never read anything by J.R Ward. Is it good? Love Unleashed is apparently not that great but the others?

The beginning of the series is really good, especially the first three novels.
Schainize
Schainize

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Yeah, JR Ward was really good in the early books. I wasn't too fond of the first book or second but I loved books 3&4. Five was okay, but after that it gets formulaic.

Has anyone else read the Lupi series by Eileen Wilks? Cullen Seabourne, *sigh*
Ilona Andrews' Edge series is also another one that I'm following. I love that the heroines feel like real people. There are so many Mary-Sue-esque and blank-slate female leads in books Sad

Other than that I read Kid Lit.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:27 pm

I'll think about it. I don't know if I want to start reading a series when I know that I probably won't like the later books. Grrr. Sometimes I really should stay clear of spoilers. Anyway, I've ordered two books and the pile next to my bed is growing to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I need two extra hours added to my day!
Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:38 pm

Schainize - I read FAUST II in my free time.. *awkward moment* BUT .. I didn't like it, because it felt like Goethe wasn't into it. He let everything fall into place to make the story work. So Faust forgot everything? Well, that worked out just fine, right? And this stupid ending with the use of the Konjunktiv? Oh goddamnit, I did that when I was FIVE! T.T

Serena? I liked the second, third and some of the others. But the first one? Well, not that good. I liked it enough to read the second one, which really got me x)
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Serena wrote:I'll think about it. I don't know if I want to start reading a series when I know that I probably won't like the later books. Grrr. Sometimes I really should stay clear of spoilers. Anyway, I've ordered two books and the pile next to my bed is growing to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I need two extra hours added to my day!

I don't think you won't enjoy it later. I still like it, although the last book wasn't as good as the first ones. Every book had it's own appeal and - although I seem to be in the minority - I still rated this book as high as the most of the others. There are lots of people who LOVED the first book but there were as many who rated it with 1 star. And then there were some reviewers who didn't like Rehvs story and I totally fell for him (although I hated him in the third [in Germany the.. um.. 5th and 6th] book xD).

After a certain number of books or seasons of a tv-show, it starts to get boring. It's always like that, isn't it? I don't think the Black Dagger Brotherhood-series is at that point yet. Smile
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by twixter_tea Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:45 pm

I LOVE to read...but I'm desperately looking for a paranormal romance book that has some good storylines, good characters *ahem sexy alpha ahem*, and a good heroine. Not the stupid kind. Any suggestions? (Sidenote: i'm def. taking into consideration what you guys have wrote up top!)

But you know what? My biggest problem is...since Nalini Singh's books are probably the only books I've every religiously read since Harry Potter...I always compare romance books to it. They all pale in comparsion.

*sad face*
twixter_tea
twixter_tea

Back to top Go down

Post by Schainize Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:02 pm

Patricia wrote:Schainize - I read FAUST II in my free time.. *awkward moment* BUT .. I didn't like it, because it felt like Goethe wasn't into it. He let everything fall into place to make the story work. So Faust forgot everything? Well, that worked out just fine, right? And this stupid ending with the use of the Konjunktiv? Oh goddamnit, I did that when I was FIVE! T.T

Perhaps Goethe was a little to much into it? After all Fausts story was the work of his entire life and at the end of this life he perhaps had been thinking too much about the fate that Faust should see. Goethe was known to write biographical aspects of his own history into his work and he was already very old when he wrote the Tragedy to an end. I don't know...seems kind of hard to wrap up a hole life in a single fictional character...

I'm impressed that you read FII in your spare time. I do that really only with my students and go soft in my private life when it comes to literature - wherein Murakami it certainly to be described as simple, his novels are really the epitome of crazy.
Very Happy Shocked
Schainize
Schainize

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:09 pm

I think I didn't 'say' it right. Yes, he was into it "too much", but meh! It felt too easy. Yes, everything was tragic, bla. BUT in the end it worked out. Although he made one mistake after another, although he almost sold his soul to the devil.. In the end the message was this stupid "Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt". It felt like Goethe was trying to convince himself. Neutral
I think I simply disliked it because I hate books that give me some hope. I'm kinda bitter. To me the perfect ending would've been something like.. Gretchen torturing the hell outta Faust while Mephisto was standing next to her, laughing his ass off. (Yes, would be a bit OOC, if Gretchen did something like that, but still..)
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Oh and I read it because my teacher.. Well, she's pretty awesome and she said that she didn't like Goethe, but she .. hm, how to put it, respects? yeah, well, respects what he wrote. After we finished Faust I and wrote our exams, I wanted to know how the story ends. I looked it up and she also told us, but I never got the 'feeling' if you know what I mean. So I started reading it.

Murakami.. What did you like best? Might order a book or two. Smile
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:19 pm

I really liked "Mister Aufziehvogel","Hard Boiled Wonderland und das Ende der Welt" and the new one, 1Q84
Serena
Serena

Back to top Go down

Post by Schainize Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Patricia wrote:I think I simply disliked it because I hate books that give me some hope. I'm kinda bitter. To me the perfect ending would've been something like.. Gretchen torturing the hell outta Faust while Mephisto was standing next to her, laughing his ass off. (Yes, would be a bit OOC, if Gretchen did something like that, but still..)

What the heck...thats kind of...I don't know...sad?
But I can't say that I see the OOC on every level, you characterised Mephisto very well. Did I mention that he's my favorite character in the whole story? Very Happy

Patricia wrote:Murakami.. What did you like best? Might order a book or two.

I really loved "Naokos Lächeln", "Gefährliche Geliebte" and "Sputnik Sweatheart". If you want to find an access to Murakami, IMHO it's certainly good to read these books in that order.

Serena wrote:I really liked "Mister Aufziehvogel", "Hard Boiled Wonderland und das Ende der Welt" and the new one, 1Q84

I've toyed with the idea of reading "Hard Boiled Wonderland und das Ende der Welt". Can you recommend it?
Schainize
Schainize

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next