The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tk Strength

+3
Alake
..::PCT::..
Daliah1314
7 posters

Go down

Tk Strength Empty Tk Strength

Post by Daliah1314 Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:09 am

Does anyone know how much weight a Cardinal/high-range Tk could lift? I know there have been references to them lifting train cars and stuff but nothing definite. Do you think it would be a good few tons? Or more?

Or if it something like it has been said and I missed it please tell me Embarassed
Daliah1314
Daliah1314

Back to top Go down

Tk Strength Empty a little science here and there..

Post by ..::PCT::.. Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Although this thread is a bit old, i find this question interesting because it can actually be answerd with a bit of science Very Happy

In Kiss of Snow after a meeting between DR, SD, Nikita and Anthony, Judd rules Kaleb out of the attack-force by describing him as powerful enough and his skills so far of the charts his gradient meaningless, to be able to cause an earthquake that would collapse the entire city.

With the San-Francisco-earthquake in 1906 something of this magnitude actually happend. The quake didn't level the city completly, but caused considerable damage and destroyed most of it by the subsequent fires that broke out. This quake registered with a magnitude of 8.0 on the Richter-scale.

We could up this power and assume he could really eradicate the entire city from the world-map but i take this as an example.

A quake with 8.0 at the Richter-scale equivalents a 15 Megaton nuclear warhead, or about 63 Peta-Joule of energy. Peta stands for 10^15.

Joule has the derived SI-unit [Kg*m²/s²].
E=m*a*h [Kg* m/s² *m] describes the potential energy of an object so if you take the gravitational acceleration of 9.81 m/s² and divide the quakes energy by it
you get 6,422 * 10^15 [kg*m].
Divided by another meter as the height the mass is lifted this would mean Kaleb could lift (if not permanently but for a short amount of time) 6,422 * 10^12 tons 1 meter of the ground.

This is not far away from the half mass of the moon which is a f****** big amount of mass. Or in other terms, he could lift a cube of solid iron with an edge-lenth of 9.3 kilometers.

Just to give you an idea about what a truely powerfull TK with refined skills can do.. Wink

(sry for the long and scientific post, but i'm an engineer-student, thats the way my brains works Wink )

Back to top Go down

Tk Strength Empty Re: Tk Strength

Post by Alake Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:07 am

Damn, that's impressive. Both Kaleb's strength, and your way of explaining it. Thank you, I was interested in this question too ^^
Alake
Alake

http://alakenos.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rageane Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:37 am

You just gave me the clearest mental picture of his power to date...you frighten me with that power..Lol geek
Rageane
Rageane

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:58 pm

PCT, thanks for the explanation! It is really impressive and makes me wonder what Nalini has planned for Kaleb and whether they'll ever have a need for him to unleash that kind of power.
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by ..::PCT::.. Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:07 am

Hey Lulu...
no problem, i was interested in it as well so i gave it some thougt.
I don't think he will ever unleash 100% of his power in such an overexaggerated offshowing way..

First, this wouldn't be like him. Simply not polite, calculating and way ahead planning Kaleb.

Second, if he really is such an extremly important anchor in the net as everybody thinks he is, this could be an explanation why.
Someone capable of channeling and directing so much energy would act as a giant conduit/fuse/hub (or whatever other analogie to electric-network-technology you can think of) on the psycic plane. As long as he doesn't drain himself or consciously denies the net his support, he is one of the real big pillars on which the net stands.

If he goes insane and starts conscious or subconsciously redirecting and influencing the net in a bad way... well.. bye bye world-peace for a long time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:11 am

Oh no, not an insane Kaleb lol! I couldn't take it. I really am hoping and expecting him to be a good guy and Hero material.

And I agree that he's not likely to unleash his power in any way other than to maybe help stabilize the PsyNet. It'll be fun to see where Nalini goes with all of that.
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:53 am

Good thoughts, but I think there´s more to the "strength" of a Psy, than just the brute strength.

Judd for example can do extreme damage with just a minute amount of power and Vasic is considered by some even more powerful than a cardinal, though he isn´t one.

While Kaleb has a huge amount of raw strength, he hasn´t so far showed the ability to control complex, or tiny amounts of matter, as easily as others. (see above)

Teleporting is extremely complex and TK on a celular level requires an extreme amount of control, so that might come into play as well.

Of course, Judd can´t teleport as good as Vasic or Kaleb.. so let´s keep complex and high-precision apart, just for the fun of it Very Happy

But it seems, both play a role in the effect someone can cause with his abilities.

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah18 Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:40 pm

..::PCT::.. wrote:Although this thread is a bit old, i find this question interesting because it can actually be answerd with a bit of science Very Happy

In Kiss of Snow after a meeting between DR, SD, Nikita and Anthony, Judd rules Kaleb out of the attack-force by describing him as powerful enough and his skills so far of the charts his gradient meaningless, to be able to cause an earthquake that would collapse the entire city.

With the San-Francisco-earthquake in 1906 something of this magnitude actually happend. The quake didn't level the city completly, but caused considerable damage and destroyed most of it by the subsequent fires that broke out. This quake registered with a magnitude of 8.0 on the Richter-scale.

We could up this power and assume he could really eradicate the entire city from the world-map but i take this as an example.

A quake with 8.0 at the Richter-scale equivalents a 15 Megaton nuclear warhead, or about 63 Peta-Joule of energy. Peta stands for 10^15.

Joule has the derived SI-unit [Kg*m²/s²].
E=m*a*h [Kg* m/s² *m] describes the potential energy of an object so if you take the gravitational acceleration of 9.81 m/s² and divide the quakes energy by it
you get 6,422 * 10^15 [kg*m].
Divided by another meter as the height the mass is lifted this would mean Kaleb could lift (if not permanently but for a short amount of time) 6,422 * 10^12 tons 1 meter of the ground.

This is not far away from the half mass of the moon which is a f****** big amount of mass. Or in other terms, he could lift a cube of solid iron with an edge-lenth of 9.3 kilometers.

Just to give you an idea about what a truely powerfull TK with refined skills can do.. Wink

(sry for the long and scientific post, but i'm an engineer-student, thats the way my brains works Wink )

Are you Psy? Shocked That´s really impressive...
Sarah18
Sarah18

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Fluff, if you saw Nalini's blog post about the RT convention, she said everyone was asking about the identity of the Ghost (who I think is most likely, probably, could be Kaleb).
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Tk Strength Empty ...

Post by ..::PCT::.. Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:53 am

TheFLuff wrote:
Good thoughts, but I think there´s more to the "strength" of a Psy, than just the brute strength.
Judd for example can do extreme damage with just a minute amount of power and Vasic is considered by some even more powerful than a cardinal, though he isn´t one.
While Kaleb has a huge amount of raw strength, he hasn´t so far showed the ability to control complex, or tiny amounts of matter, as easily as others. (see above)

Perfectly right.. Smile
I didn't mean to goof on other psys powers or something like that, i just tried to answer Daliah1314s question.

TheFLuff wrote:
Teleporting is extremely complex and TK on a celular level requires an extreme amount of control, so that might come into play as well.
Of course, Judd can´t teleport as good as Vasic or Kaleb.. so let´s keep complex and high-precision apart, just for the fun of it
But it seems, both play a role in the effect someone can cause with his abilities.

I second this as well. What brings me to another question. How do you measure strength of telepathic abilitys? The gain to receive and the power to send can be measured similar to radio-emitters. But what about for example Walkers abilitys of mental disguise, Nikitias viruses and Mings Mind-control? I think all of these point of to something like extraordinary control. Thoughts and memorys are patters of electric signals being relayed through our brain. If you want to manipulate them, you need to mimik the patterns of the brain you want to influence and the make most subtle changes for what you want. But spontanously i can't think of way to measure this ability similar to the raw strength of an TK or X (like i did in the other thread. Nobody commented on that yet..? Question Embarassed )

Sarah18 wrote: Are you Psy? That´s really impressive...
naa, just a freak by nature Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:04 pm

as for no answers.. I guess, you´re chain of thought was just too compelling *g*

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:59 am

But to add, what I didn´t have the time to, yesterday...

With TP it isn´t so much a question of how strong, but "what is transfered"
IT Technology is a good example.
You can have a shitload of bandwith, but first, it´s just communication and data transfer.
Virus hide in that data transfer and then infect subsystems within a system and multiply.
So, the actual "actions" happens within the victims mind. You only need to assemble the virus and plant it at the right spot and then.. lean back and ... wait...

YOu wouldn´t even need to be very strong for it.
It´s just a question from which distance can you infect someone and how deadly and effective is the virus.

So again rather a question of complexity versus raw power.

Same with mind control: Distance/level of control/complexity of control.

Can you plant a simple compulsion, not to take the left turn, but the right one, even though both end up on the same highway eventually?
Or can you force him to go against anything, he believes in?

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum