The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just got my ARC

+32
rt
Roxsan
mike1803
Lisa
san12
bluebourbon
silverdezz
tabitha
losellers
cheebee
nols
Grainne
FashionSparkles
TracyTheOncer
Serena
BlackQueen
Lulu2011
Nina
kitarad
Dari
Scotch
mj
Daliah
MissRia
suzanna075
Elaine
Bella171901
BlueQueen
devilsworld
Patricia
KTL
catikins
36 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Just got my ARC - Page 2 Empty Re: Just got my ARC

Post by Elaine Sat May 21, 2011 4:37 am

from rtbookreviews, editor Morgan Doremus' reasons to read KOS:

Spoiler:
Elaine
Elaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaine Sat May 21, 2011 4:43 am

Quotes:

from Dina of goodreads, she's was posting spoiler quotes as she was reading her copy of KOS. She has not posted a review yet.

Spoiler:

PS. I posted these first in the Summary thread, thanks to Patricia for putting the first four in one post

Last edited by Elaine on Sat May 21, 2011 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Elaine
Elaine

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRia Sat May 21, 2011 5:20 am

Arrrgh!! Just finished caressed by ice those damn wolves they grab your heart and don't let you go all I want to do is read KOS the glimpses of Sienna and Hawke are amazing one question though when hawke makes Judd a lieutenant he starts to tell Judd what changed his mind about hating all spy but he stops do we find out in KOS?

MissRia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dari Sat May 21, 2011 6:10 am

i love quotes.............more please.....................9 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
Dari
Dari

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat May 21, 2011 7:11 am

MissRia. The reason miiight be that he is a human being and doesn't want to be blamed for everything some stupid Changelings did once either. He can tell the difference between Psy and Silence, because afterall he knows some. And maybe he knew others before he got to know the Laurens and Sascha..?

But maybe he's just being horny and thinks "Okay, so I'm nice now and then Judd's not going to be mad at me when I shag his niece."

Cold bastard, now we know his evil plan.
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kitarad Sat May 21, 2011 10:33 am

I just saw the cover for the audio book on KoS and I almost cried that is how bad it is .They got her hair wrong his hair wrong..... why don't they do their homework. Travesty really. They might even have used the same model from Visions of Heat.

http://www.tantor.com/BookDetail.asp?Product=B0193_KissSnow
kitarad
kitarad

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat May 21, 2011 10:41 am

Oh my God, that's just cruel.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sat May 21, 2011 10:45 am

Lol. That's so awful it's funny.
The cover design people must've sounded like this:

1. "Oooooh. The name has snow in it! I know, to be really creative we'll put generic clipart snowflakes on the cover! No one would have thought of that!"

2. "Mr. Model, I was wondering... in order to please all of the Hawke fans we'd like you to make a reaaaalllly sexy face for the cover of KoS. Could you do that? Yes... yes! That's perfect! Every fan has always wanted to see Hawke look like he's sniffing excrement while wooing Sienna!"

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Sat May 21, 2011 10:59 am

No kidding. So awful it is funny. I'm betting that authors don't get a say in the cover art of their work? Too bad. It's part of the whole artistic package so you'd think they'd want final approval or something.
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat May 21, 2011 11:17 am

Oh you guys, you're so fortunate to be able to get mad about such things. German covers are ALWAYS like that. The models don't look like the people in the book at all.

Sabrina, a bookblogger (German and English) once asked the publishers and they said that to them it's more important to catch the book and the atmosphere than to have the models look like the heroes. Problem is: They don't catch any "atmosphere" at all.

To me it's just natural to look at a cover like that. Although I really think it's cruel because his nose looks kinda pig-ish. oô And she doesn't look much younger than he, which is.. wha. :-!
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueQueen Sat May 21, 2011 12:47 pm

*faint*

Elaine wrote:Quotes:

from Dina of goodreads, she's was posting spoiler quotes as she was reading her copy of KOS. She has not posted a review yet.

Spoiler:

PS. I posted these first in the Summary thread, thanks to Patricia for putting the first four in one post
BlueQueen
BlueQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Dari Sat May 21, 2011 12:54 pm

OMG! the audiobook...............how horrible is that?!!!!
This cover looks like............uhhhh no words for it......... affraid
The snowflakes........boahhh imaginative. Suspect
Dari
Dari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sat May 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Quick question for the Arcies - Do we learn more about the conditioning process for Psy kids?

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat May 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Kind of about Sienna's, yes. If I recall correctly it's more about the Arrow-training.. <3

You know, if you wanted to condition your kid to not feel today, you'd need to hit it everytime it feels something. That's the easiest and most effective way.

Feelings = Pain
No Feelings = No Pain

It has been done like that before, so I was always wondering if they did that like this with the Psy-kids, too or if there was another way. Maybe there now is a S-Psy, lol.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Sat May 21, 2011 3:07 pm

I know it's stupid but ehm, in 6th grade in Philosophie (some kind of lessons-for-those-who-have-none-religion thing) we learned about a guy who was raised by wolves Suspect . I KNOW that has nothing to do with the topic. But, they also wrote that they've done (some people in a church you know were the Nones live) experiments with babys who had no parents and were given to them (I know, I know, not really Amnesty-International like but that was like 1800/19000. Don't remember). And the people who worked with the babys took care of them like diapers change and feeding them, but they were not allowed to cuddle or play with them. What happened. They died. All of them. I mean the babies. Crying or Very sad
What I want to say is: How can Psy Children survive if they never get any love. Thats a huge problem in the whole concept of the Psy-Changeling world.
I'm curious how Ms. Singh would that explain?
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Sat May 21, 2011 3:09 pm

S-Psy = Sienna-Psy?? c Suspect
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sat May 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Silence-Psy. Someone who can Silence them Very Happy

Um, you remember Casper Hauser? Kasper.. Casper.. Well, he survived. But thats something else entirely and he was able to feel, he wanted to know who his father was and the one thing he knew about him - that he had a horse - was something he held close dearly. He said he wanted to have a horse himself one day and blah. Of course he wasn't really able to talk since he wasn't around humans much.. Huh.

And the guy with the wolves.. I know that one. Mogli! xD No. Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

Actually it is possible. It had been done. And in the Psy/Changeling world, conditioning doesn't start as soon as the kids are born, right?

For example, in Nazi-Deutschland there were some sick doctors who made experiments with children in those fucking KZs. For example with electricity. Back then what happened was that their minds shattered. Literally. They had multiple personalities then. To stand the pain.

There is a German blogger who is multiple, too. She's researching those things and talked about that stuff. Also about some sickos in.. oh, I have no idea, somewhere in the USA. They did that too in the 80s. With lots of kids. Some cult. Well, the thing is, those children were conditioned to do stuff, not to "not-feel" but in the end they didn't get much love, either and survived to talk about it later.

All they got was hatred. All the Psy get is cold, rational facts. I think I could live with the latter one considering that others were able to live with coldness and hatred.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Sat May 21, 2011 4:40 pm

If they're not doing the condtion-thing from birth, are they then raised by humans? Because if two normal Psy (not a counselor, just someone who works at I don't know ... somewhere normal xD), would get a child, they would conditioning it anyway, because they can't feel. So why would they do this "Guggi-guggi Where is Mommy" thing?
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sat May 21, 2011 5:05 pm

It's not a complete explanation, but I remember in one of the books (Visions of Heat maybe?) it's mentioned that Psy children are given the needed amount of physical contact to grow healthily. So, it isn't like they are those little babies in the 90's documentaries on Romania - rarely touched. Add to that (like Patricia said) that the kids aren't exposed to negative emotions either, I think it could work.

I always thought there was a chemical component to the conditioning as well. Did I just make that up without noticing?

Less than two weeks to go! Smile

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackQueen Sat May 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Bella171901 wrote:I know it's stupid but ehm, in 6th grade in Philosophie (some kind of lessons-for-those-who-have-none-religion thing) we learned about a guy who was raised by wolves Suspect . I KNOW that has nothing to do with the topic. But, they also wrote that they've done (some people in a church you know were the Nones live) experiments with babys who had no parents and were given to them (I know, I know, not really Amnesty-International like but that was like 1800/19000. Don't remember). And the people who worked with the babys took care of them like diapers change and feeding them, but they were not allowed to cuddle or play with them. What happened. They died. All of them. I mean the babies. Crying or Very sad
What I want to say is: How can Psy Children survive if they never get any love. Thats a huge problem in the whole concept of the Psy-Changeling world.
I'm curious how Ms. Singh would that explain?

I the parents weren't allowed to do that with them, but the Phy who took care of them did. The conditioning didn't start until they were like 5/6. So I think that the were cared for emotional for a while and then conditioned that's why they all can't seem to remember life from the conditioning point. I think I have that right? Not really sure, but that's what makes it believable for me.[list][*]

BlackQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Sun May 22, 2011 12:51 am

Bella, the wolf-boy you mean was Kaspar Hauser and that experiment took place between 1194 and 1250 under the regency of Friedrich II emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. They were searching for the protolanguage. People at that time were convinced that a protolanguage existed and if nobody spoke to the babies they would begin to speak that language. They thought that language would be Hebrew. Of course, all of the babies died after a few weeks.
Serena
Serena

http://serenareads.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by catikins Sun May 22, 2011 1:42 am

I think I have a new illness - it's called KOS syndrome. I keep reading books to the point where the lead male and female bump uglies and then lose interest!! If I wasn't waiting for the ultimate f&m pairing I think I might have more tolerance for the back story - but it's ruining me!! I now have the last quarter to read of 'Dead Reckoning' - just got bored, The Heat, The Spell and The Strip and I am struggling to read to the end of 'Eternal Rider' - although I am just getting interested in the stories of Ash and Talon. The problem is that the back story HAS to be as tense and exciting and the romantic tension. If it isn't then I would prefer that the author keep the romantic tension going until near the end (if it's good), so at least it keeps my interest until the end of the book. cat
catikins
catikins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Sun May 22, 2011 5:08 am

Serena wrote:Bella, the wolf-boy you mean was Kaspar Hauser and that experiment took place between 1194 and 1250 under the regency of Friedrich II emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. They were searching for the protolanguage. People at that time were convinced that a protolanguage existed and if nobody spoke to the babies they would begin to speak that language. They thought that language would be Hebrew. Of course, all of the babies died after a few weeks.

No, it wasn't him. In the Philosophy-book (or whatevert that was) was a picture of him. It was black and white but a fotography.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRia Sun May 22, 2011 6:16 am

Hey Cat I hear you Dead Reckoning was kinda boring but i think I found it more boring than it should have been cause I can't stop thinking about KOS the only book that has managed to keep my attention for any length of time has been Dragon Bound beyond that nothing all I can think about is KOS crazy huh!!

MissRia

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaine Sun May 22, 2011 8:05 am

from Nalini's blog, Kiss #6. She's not taking time out for Sunday

Spoiler:
Elaine
Elaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content