The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post Archangel's Storm

+7
Concepcion30
tabitha
paranormalmama
Roxsan
cheebee
Lulu2011
Patricia
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Post Archangel's Storm - Page 3 Empty Re: Post Archangel's Storm

Post by Concepcion30 Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Lulu2011 wrote:It's possible she thinks it's a good idea to leave so much out there for interpretation since it generates chat and talk among her readers? However, this vagueness is wearying and can also do the opposite, which is dampen enthusiasm for a series. I'm not quite there yet, but I could be.

I don't read psy-changeling so I really can't comment on that. But my opinion here is, no matter how great a writer you are in terms of planning story outlines and deciding what to reveal where and in which book, there are some instances where you haven't quite worked out what direction you want to take a particular section of the story in. Perhaps N.S. is still working on the clearer versions of the vague answers she'd given so far. But the fact is, we are dealing with paranormal science fiction that is not an established genre like say, Star Trek or something like that where everything needs to be precise etc -- didn't the Clingon's have their own language or something? Basically, as long as N.S.'s books provide the readers some sort of satisfaction which they do, then what more can we really ask for?

Edit: Btw, back on topic for this thread. What was Neha smoking to think for one second that Jason would jump at the thought of becoming her consort? Now I understand that she's a powerful Archangel and they are all very arrogant to some extent. But doesn't she understand the purpose of Raphael's Seven? In the very first book Dmitri told Elena that basically they were a group of angels and vampires that looked out for Raphael's best interest with little regard to their own. And I didn't think this was a secret since Dmitri parted with the information so easily.

If maybe Jason had shown some interest for more power instead of Neha just assuming that she's an Archangel and that any angel out there would be delighted to become her consort, then that would have made more sense. Instead, we're baited to think that Neha really has a trump card to use against Raphael which is why she agreed to Jason coming there so easily, only to find out it's something as asinine as that. She did make the distinction that she didn't want him as a lover, for I'm sure other female archangel's in the past have expressed interest in sleeping with other members of the Seven. Basically it seemed that what she wanted from Jason was what he was already giving to Raphael. Even if Neha were arrogant enough to believe that the position she was offering Jason was way better than what he currently had with Raphael, why would she not even consider his own personal loyalty? She has angels and vampires which are loyal to her, so she understood how that works, which is why this part of the storyline just threw me. Anyone else thought the same?
Concepcion30
Concepcion30

Back to top Go down

Post by Yurice Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:43 am

Lulu2011 wrote:Great! I ended up editing some of my questions as I realized they seemed a bit critical lol, since I disliked the lack of a mating bond in Tangle. I think Nalini probably knows that many readers weren't happy with the ending as many reviewers stated so, either on amazon or goodreads.

Anyway, I was able to change my questions to be less critical and to encourage Nalini to share her view of the Riaz/Adria relationship and future.

Edited: for stupid stuff, I can't seem to write clearly this morning!

Well, the thing with reader discontentment, is that people who are unhappy tend to be more vocal than those who actually enjoyed the story.
I, for one, have more faith in Nalini's 'silent' rules when she didn't make Riaz and Adria mate. :3 Their mating would have done the exact opposite to me, it would make me view mating as something that can be forced, or willed to happen, thus lessening the 'gift' aspect of it. Mating is not something they can control, so finding their mate is a changeling's greatest gift. If Riaz can force that bond, then...how special is that?^^

It's not the lack of mating bond that makes me unhappy with Riaz and Adria, but of who Riaz is. I still feel Adria deserves better, I will still feel this way even if Riaz had been her mate. It's his character itself that was dissatisfying to me.

And since Nalini said she's an instinctive writer, and lets the story and character speak for themselves, that's exactly what happened. Riaz isn't the hero I wanted, but as a character, he definitely has his own traits, even if I don't find those traits admirable.^^

lol sorry for going OT!
Yurice
Yurice

http://hawke-sienna.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 am

Concepcion30 wrote:
Lulu2011 wrote:It's possible she thinks it's a good idea to leave so much out there for interpretation since it generates chat and talk among her readers? However, this vagueness is wearying and can also do the opposite, which is dampen enthusiasm for a series. I'm not quite there yet, but I could be.

I don't read psy-changeling so I really can't comment on that. But my opinion here is, no matter how great a writer you are in terms of planning story outlines and deciding what to reveal where and in which book, there are some instances where you haven't quite worked out what direction you want to take a particular section of the story in. Perhaps N.S. is still working on the clearer versions of the vague answers she'd given so far. But the fact is, we are dealing with paranormal science fiction that is not an established genre like say, Star Trek or something like that where everything needs to be precise etc -- didn't the Clingon's have their own language or something? Basically, as long as N.S.'s books provide the readers some sort of satisfaction which they do, then what more can we really ask for?

Edit: Btw, back on topic for this thread. What was Neha smoking to think for one second that Jason would jump at the thought of becoming her consort? Now I understand that she's a powerful Archangel and they are all very arrogant to some extent. But doesn't she understand the purpose of Raphael's Seven? In the very first book Dmitri told Elena that basically they were a group of angels and vampires that looked out for Raphael's best interest with little regard to their own. And I didn't think this was a secret since Dmitri parted with the information so easily.

If maybe Jason had shown some interest for more power instead of Neha just assuming that she's an Archangel and that any angel out there would be delighted to become her consort, then that would have made more sense. Instead, we're baited to think that Neha really has a trump card to use against Raphael which is why she agreed to Jason coming there so easily, only to find out it's something as asinine as that. She did make the distinction that she didn't want him as a lover, for I'm sure other female archangel's in the past have expressed interest in sleeping with other members of the Seven. Basically it seemed that what she wanted from Jason was what he was already giving to Raphael. Even if Neha were arrogant enough to believe that the position she was offering Jason was way better than what he currently had with Raphael, why would she not even consider his own personal loyalty? She has angels and vampires which are loyal to her, so she understood how that works, which is why this part of the storyline just threw me. Anyone else thought the same?

Yes, I agree that was a pretty contrived plot device. However, wasn't Dmitri lured away by Favashi several centuries ago? He was her lover for a short time until he realized that she had no real regard for him (and neither did he for her) and he returned to Raphael. So, maybe Neha thought of that and wondered if she could do the same with Jason.
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:50 pm

AND I DIDN'T NOTICE. DAMN YOU INTERNET. DAMN YOU.
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lulu2011 Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm sorry you missed it Patricia. It was very lightly attended from what I could tell. Maybe a dozen people asking questions. I wish there had been more.
Lulu2011
Lulu2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Elisabeth Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Concepcion30 wrote:
Edit: Btw, back on topic for this thread. What was Neha smoking to think for one second that Jason would jump at the thought of becoming her consort?
I was so surprised to read that Neha want´s Jason as a Consort...I actually read it at least three times, ´cause I thought I misunderstood something....He never even showed interest in her or her politics, other than as a Spymaster, so I was totally surprised...
I also thought it kinda funny that he didn´t see it come, he was surprised by the offer and had to think about how to decline it, and Mahiya was also surprised, how comes she didn´t saw it coming, she lives at the court since ever....it was a really weird offer from Neha Shocked
Elisabeth
Elisabeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rageane Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Elizabeth, Mahiya did see it coming and in fact warned Jason of it earlier in the book...what she was surprised about was Jason's answer.
Rageane
Rageane

Back to top Go down

Post by Elisabeth Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:59 am

oh, hmm, you might be right, I forgot Rolling Eyes , uups, I need to reread the book.... such a pity Wink
Elisabeth
Elisabeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rageane Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 am

Don't let me hog tie you and force you or anything...lol ;P
Rageane
Rageane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content