The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Watch.

+10
tabitha
Katherine
Sarah18
Schainize
Nina
TracyTheOncer
Rageane
Serena
Patricia
twixter_tea
14 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Movie Watch. - Page 7 Empty Re: Movie Watch.

Post by Patricia Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:04 am

I really liked the Dragon episode. Never thought of her as a Mary Sue necessarily. And I *got* her. She grew up with an abusive brother who told her incredibly weird tales of their family and how the world worked, got raped (despite him being gentle, she was fourteen, it's still rape) and fell in love with her abusive, older "husband", got manipulated by a lot of people, got ridiculed and looked down upon. All she had left at that point was her pride. Then came the power she regained by being the Khaleesi, then that of being the mother of dragons. But all of these things felt very "small" to me, dictated by luck, rather than actual effort. She thinks she's entitled to a throne based on the fact that some ancestor once sat on it, she thinks she should "liberate" slaves who don't want to be liberated, forbids them to do what's their job and only way to survive, but doesn't give them any opportunities to survive without what she's taken from them.

When it comes down to it, she's a naive, foolish, young girl. Possibly a lot more mature than me, or most other fourteen year old girls, but still a girl, given power she doesn't even deserve (yet). Any action-y scene, even the admittedly amazing Unsullied speech, (and I rewatched and reread these parts A LOT), don't make me want to read that much more about her. It's not that I think of her in terms of "like" and "dislike", specifically. I just, there are more interesting characters. There's freaking Sansa, or Brienne, or Arya. (I do, however, have personal problems with Dany. She did things I just can't stand. In the end, all of the characters did, but the mainstream reader and viewership don't perceive them as the glory mother of all, and so, I find it harder to just let her be the silly white-haired girl with a sense of ego that's so blown out of proportion, it comes close to Cercei getting her freak on post book 3.)

Ohh, have you heard? Jonathan Rhys Meyers is Dracula in NBC Dracula. Smile Really excited. NBC Hannibal was SO incredibly good, I'm hoping for another success. /I'm rooting for you, NBC. We're all rooting for you.

I'll put it higher on my list of shows to marathon with the best friend, then. ;D
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 pm

What king does actually deserve his power? None of them are elected and none of them has done anything to prove he/she deserves the throne. There are maybe a handful of kings and queens that grew into their role as head of a country. But none of them worked their butts of to be a king or queen. Okay, maybe by seducing a King or being pretty and making conversation. But in the end ... none of them deserved their throne. That's not how monarchy works. Your just given the power over millions of people and the country is left at your will.
Most kings and queens sucked at their role. We remember only a few of them, sometimes because they were the most horrible and sometimes because they were great.
Sansa is for me a pretty boring, formerly spoiled girl who had to grow up withing weeks and is probably going to be another Cersei. She's already bitter about her situation, but I'm not sure if she got the courage/wits of Cersei. Brienne is outstanding. I'd love to see her and Jamie because it would be a relationship we have never seen before. Not that way not in this way! Arya is not really interesting yet. But she could become the biggest threat when she becomes older, since she KNOWS how both court and normal life works. She's probably going to be a speaker for the regular people. She's seen both. If she'd ever get enough power, she could make a queen. She's smart, but she needs to remember how royal life works so she can play the game of thrones.
Tyrion is the most adimiring character I've ever reas about. He will make a king someday. And he will overpower everyone.
As for what I think it's gonna come down to is:
Danny, Tyrion, Jon and Arya.

Yes, I've seen the trailer, but ... naw, I just see him as Henry. And omg, he's gonna be Valentine Morgenstern in City of Bones. Horribly unfitting. Even though he got the attitude, he's not made for playing a side-role!
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:03 pm

In a way, you're right, but if we compare the people who try to get on the Iron Throne, or who once did, even Robert Baratheon did more. He wasn't an heir to the throne, he rebelled, fought. Dany plans to do that, but her entitlement just annoys me. It's the wrong way around with her.

Similiar problem with Stannis Baratheon, though he's just this kind of conservative dude I don't mind as much. It's not about *HIM*, when he talks about the Seven Kingdoms. He just doesn't want an "incest-born bastard" on the throne, though he wouldn't mind if there was someone stronger, better, more abled. So, basically, if Robert had done what he did, not for the Stark girl he fell for, but for the betterment of the kingdoms, with the conscience of Ned, he would have been the ideal king. Well, minus his personality, but that's why him being more of a Ned would have been good for the kingdoms. /sighs

I think you get the point, anyway. There WERE kings who "earned" the throne, in SOME ways. Dany thinks she's entitled to it, and for a long time also thought the people would somehow 'await' her return. I like that her time in Junkaii and all those places is teaching her no one is looking for liberation if it includes death, and that poor people don't care about WHO they have to bow to, if all they get is the same misery again and again. - The Dany in Game of Thrones isn't there yet. She's not gone through ASOIAF #4 and #5.

Of course, even then, she'll have her lucky stars, her dragons, her almost Stark-ish loyalty-inducing position, but I hope she'll go through some character development, learn that her pride is ANNOYING AS FUCK, and.. you know.

Sansa is absolutely refreshing in the books. I love her and Littlefinger's interaction. Not at all like Cersei for me, who was hinted at killing her best friend, definitely abused her little brother, and was super bitter about her being a woman. (Plus, she also doesn't hate women like Cersei does.)

Arya.. Well, I don't think about the characters in term of, who should be on the throne, but whose journey I love to read about most, and I think Arya's life beyond the kingdoms is really interesting. All the knowledge! Plus, she's such a midget.

Tyrion.. Hmm, he's great in GOT, but I've got some minor (or not so minor) problems with book!Tyrion. He's authentic, but there are things where I can't say, "It's okay because he's been through so much".

Hahaha, yeah. I can't picture him as Valentine, either. We'll see. Well, I'm not a big The Mortal Instruments fan anyways, ever since I found out about Clare's cyberbullying, so I'm not THAT invested, though.( The plagiarism I could've somewhat dealt with, but bullying? Nah bro. (Also don't like her books that much, but.. the bullying.))
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:18 pm

yeah sure if you think of it that way. But he didn' earn the throne by doing something so great the people wanted to have him. He simply won the throne. That's almost like gambling. You know, his goal wasn't to get the thrown but to take revenge for Lianna. Actually Jaime (Jaimie? I totally forgot how to spell his name) was sitting on the throne (like literally with his butt and all) but Ned made him give it up.
Danny doesn't think she's entitled to the throne. She thinks she has to take it to reinstall her dynasty. She probably thinks people expect her to do. Like her father or her mother. I don't think she actually wants to be a queen, she probably wants to go home to a normal family and be a teenager. But her family is gone and she doesn't really have a home (no irony intended) so she's aiming for the closest she might have as a home. Given that there is a problem with the heir now, this is probably just making her even more sure about it.
What other choice does she got? Robert wanted her killed (as an act of revenge) and other kings will probably do the same to settle their right to the throne. Offense is the best defense.
I also think she is quite strong for such a young person. Fate hasn't been good to her, yet she won't let her people down and she'd make an amazing queen. She could also just whine an marry some high lord and ... you know whatever a woman in court does.

You know, Sansa isn't bitter yet. But so wasn't Cersei at her age. You know in one of the episodes she said to Ned that she was so proud to marry Robert because she thought of him as noble and handsome. Just like a girl would think about her crush. And then Robert came in, crushed by Liannas death but he had to marry to produce a legitime heir, he was drunk and tried to compensate. Cersei must have been terryfied. And you know when you KNOW about all those other women having his child and her only child with him died ... and the fact that he never loved her and never would and that he would love Lianna more even though she was alive and Lianna was dead ... man that would piss me off. But instead of rebelling out loud and ashaming her family she took advantage of Jamie, which was probably not nice, but I really feel for her.
In another episode she states that her mother died while giving birth to Tyrion and her father was an ass afterwards. she was a little girl, growing up with a father who probably favored Jamie their entire life and blaming Tyrion for killing their mother.
I totally, deeply feel for Cersei. Can't say much bad about her. Weird right?
Sansa's gonna get there.

What bullying? Tell me! Please!!! Plagiarism? I knew Suzanne Collins was totally doing it but Cassandra? I actually thought her books were extremly boring, almost as boring as Harry Potter. She could've cut the length a lot! I just don't see that it is realistic for two teenagers (for them) to not have sex. Sorry but I'ts not realistic. Even BELLA wanted to have sex and she's a fucking Lamb!
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Okay, hehe, there's a page called http://nastyclare-theclarewitchproject.tumblr.com/
Haha, I'm not for the whole going after people ... okay I am but an entire page?!
But ... I gotta admit .... the name ... is ... hilarious!!!! Awesome!
But ...WHY DON'T I KNOW THAT STUFF!?!?!?!?!? I feel like I'm living on the moon! I really need a good website where I can compensate with not. having. tv-channels ....
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Dany's thinking she has to reinstall her dynasty still is very much related to a sort of self-importance and false entitlement. Being fed lies by her brothers (who had been fed the same lies by his mother who wanted to spare him the pain of knowing what a huge ass his daddy was) does that to a person, so I'm not saying she's "bad". I don't think there are ASOIAF characters who don't have their reasons. (Which is also why I disagree when it comes to Sansa, but more about that later, unless I forget to talk about her, because it's late and I just finished Magic Rises and yeah)

What I'm saying is that I don't like her reasons. I don't like how proud she is at times. She judged Ser Jorah too proud, but wasn't she the same, basically? She lacks awareness when it comes to certain things, and that's to be expected, because she's, what, now? Fifteen? But it's still there, and while I don't read the books because I root for any of the characters to sit on the Iron Chair, I still don't think she's fit to sit there right now. (As I said before, her time in Junkaii etc. should make her realise a lot of things that WILL lead to her being a more fit queen.)

While we got to see many of the other characters fight their battles, with her it always felt a little too artificial/constructed. I felt like she had knowledge without "gaining" it, as if Martin just gave it to her because it was necessary to keep her arch going. She took a lot of things for granted, etc.

Of course, in comparison to others, she might still be a better queen, but she's, in my opinion, not there yet, and there are characteristics I see in her and dislike. As an entire character, she sometimes feels too "much" for me. Everyone in the series is flawed, but she's flawed in the way that makes me want her to change and learn first. I would like her character's journey more if the goal was a different one, basically.

Well, Jaime also blames Cersei for not wanting to make their relationship public and marrying, so I'm kinda with Ned there. I love Jaime, but he'd have made as good a king as he did a father. (In the books, he cared little about any of his children, and while you could argue he had next to nothing to do with them, he still knew they were his. You'd expect more than some fleeting thoughts.) I do dislike Ned judging Jaime for killing the Mad King, though. The entire, "How is it different, if I had put my sword into his guts and not his back" thing, basically.

While it's argueable if Robert would have won the throne if he hadn't had the support of the Lannisters, he also let them deal with the kingdom for the most part. Tywin did pretty much, if I recall correctly, and the Lannisters were involved in a LOT of the politics. I.e. the people who held the throne so far had more than just her dream of the Seven Kingdoms that were born in a pretty silly idea. She either wants the throne because of her dead family, which is a fucking stupid reason, let Stannis have it, then, no matter how little he'll bend, or she wants it to save the people, which she can't right now, because she has ideals that cannot possibly be reached at the moment. In other words, as I've said before, she needs some years. (Well, I haven't finished the last book, might be she has them, now. But since it's Season 3!Dany that makes me rage at times.. SHE definitely isn't there yet.)

As for Sansa and Cersei. No, Cersei had been bitter, then, too. She talks about her childhood, how bitter it had made her that she had to learn how to sing and entertain while Jaime was allowed to learn how to fight and lead. She also presumably pushed her best friend into that well when she was about Sansa's age, and abused Tyrion when she was Arya's age or younger, as far as I remember.

Sansa isn't a saint. She's far from it, and under Littlefinger's guiding hand, who knows what the fuck she'll end up doing and being, but she's so much more interesting than many of the other characters. At first glance, she really is this "obvious" character. The one who grows up through loss or whatever, but in the grande scheme of things, she's also incredibly clever, while staying HERSELF while losing her father, mother, siblings, and IDENTITY. Being abused, almost raped after being chased down, being forced to marry a LANNISTER, etc. And she still survived. She's a Stark, but she's not as "honourable". She wants to survive first. She's selfish first: If she had to chose between a village and her family, she'd always pick her family.

Also, you're talking about the TV show characters, but the book!characters are kinda different. Like, Cersei talked about her marriage to Robert like that in the show, but in the book she mentions how she was sleeping with Jaime, how she managed to finish Robert so she wouldn't get pregnant by him etc. For Cersei, sex is power. Of course, with Jaime, it's ALSO about being *with* him, because he's an extension of her, or something like that, but marriage, sex, whatever. It's about power. She was proud to marry Robert, but not because she thought they'd be happy - that's Sansa's first thought, after all. Having cute children, living happily ever after - Cersei thought about the powerful standing she'd gain. She plotted and thought about how much she could manipulate him. I'm not saying there wasn't a part of her that thought maybe they could be content, but she and Sansa are VERY different from eachother, due to MANY reasons. (And I love both characters, as I do pretty much everyone else. I just don't see them as the SAME archetype. I don't even think Martin would be that lazy, or that "disrespectful" to his characters to not make them somehow unique and different from eachother. Sure, they all might share some traits, but overall?)

In conlucion- I don't "judge" any of the characters, and I get that they are coming from somewhere, I just don't want the current Dany on the throne, and I can't see Sansa as another Cersei. I kind of want a buddy cop comedy starring Brienne and Jaime, who try to get Sansa to the Twins or somewhere remotely safe, with Littlefinger trying to plot her out of their hands, and Sansa constantly annoying the both of them, and maybe trying to be, like, a good girlfriend to Brienne and saying "courtlady" shit to her about Jaime. I totally get where you're coming from. He's handsome.. Of course, he was handsomer when he still had his hand, but for y- well, he's a catch, still, right? And Brienne, honouring Catelyn, trying her best to not offend Sansa. Maybe Dany can fly circles around them, or whatever, but ya know.

Yeah, I saw that once, I think. Not gonna check. I don't like hating on people anyways, it's ridiculous. I just don't really plan to support her by buying her books. Also, Suzanne Collins? What did she do? LINKS!

(Eh, I don't really watch "TV" either. Well, you KNOW German television, so I'm pretty sure you know why. :'D)

What did you just say about Harry Potter, though? /makes crazy eyes :'D

Also: ANYONE HERE WHO WATCHED ORPHAN BLACK??
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Yeah I totally hate Cassandra Clare right now. I won't buy her books either, nor will I watch the movie.
Suzanne Collins has been accused of plagiarism as well. There's a japanese/chinese? novel I think it's called Battle Royal or something like that. It's basically the exact same thing happening.
I don't like Harry Potter.
I tried to read the books in every language I know ... they're still boring.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Elisabeth Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:24 pm

oh, Pat why don´t you watch German TV, one simply has to love all these wonderful "reality" TV shows xD
actually it´s one of the reasons I don´t watch TV and don´t miss it Wink
Elisabeth
Elisabeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Probably because German tv is a pain in the butt. The only thing worse is American tv. You've got maybe 10 minutes of an episode and then there's a commercial, and another one and another one and another one. You know the Oscars went on for about 8 hours ....

Okay back to the topic, when I was in Germany we had tv channels. It was horrible. The only thing worth watching was Cartoons and Kids movies (long live Barbie!). There was maybe one movie I really wanted to watch, otherwise nothing fun.
Oh my catness ... the realityshow ... I really got addicted to Köln50667 ... I know, I'm ashamed of myself now.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:51 pm

Oh, yeah, I heard about that! I thought she was bullying people, too, and was really shocked. :'D (Thank God it's just plagiarism..)

German TV. Well, I suppose there are some good but underrated shows. Like, I actually watched some episodes of Lindenstraße of all things, and that show is so progressive, I was really confused. But it's also so 'quiet', and, you know, 'contemporary every day life'-ish, that I didn't continue watching. All those telenovelas and shows, like GZSZ, or the reality shows, don't hold that much appeal. I'm one of those people who easily get second-hand-embarrassed, which.. yeah.

As for dubbed content from the US or UK.. I don't like the translations. They're so unaccurate, and even if they don't make "absolute" mistakes (like Faith in Season 7 of Buffy saying "Oh, I thought you two had a thing, too" instead of "You didn't have a thing with him, too, right??") they still keep it blurry. (Always translating as "Wenn" and not "Falls" in "If/When" situations drives me absolutely nuts. Same with "Von was kann das nur kommen" instead of "Wovon", which is a HUGE thing in The Big Bang Theory. I don't particularely adore that show due to the sexist bullshit happening all the time, but they are freaking geniuses, hence my expecting they wouldn't make mistakes like these. o_o)

Aw, come on! The commercial breaks in the US are hilarious. I want to smash that AT&T guy into a wall, and really pity that.. Samsung cellphone that ends up in all those inconvenient places. Plus, like twenty chicken nuggets for a three dollars? I cried, not gonna lie. But yeah, in comparison to German commercial breaks (that last 5-12 minutes vs. 1-4 minutes US commercial breaks) it's crazy. When I first started watching US television, I was so confused. I mean, an exchange student had told us about that, but I never got to which extent that went. :'D

But nah, I didn't just mean the way they schedule shit in Germany (or the US, for that matter - and someday someone will have to explain how all of their networks work), just, you know, the CONTENT. It's easier to go to trakt.tv, check out which new shows air, and watch those. Might even do the whole VPN to get myself a Hulu or Netflix account..

How does all of that work where you're at, though? Do you have "Kabel" or "Satelit" or do you just buy DVDs/BluRays or stream, or..?
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Elisabeth Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:08 pm

at home we had satelit, but it broke and my parents didn´t want to repair it...not worth the effort, since they have smartphones and watch every friggin thing on it...no kidding, my mom is addicted to her smartphone Wink... they don´t miss it, we have sooo many Dvds so we just watch them instead....when I moved out from home, I took my reciever with me, but never really tried to connect it to whatever I have in my new home Wink
I have a lot of DVDs I love and watch frequently and I just watch myvideo or youtube or...hmm, DVDs ;)most of the time myvideo since they have a lot of series and films....
naja, but how does that work in other lands, like in ...ääh..hmm...where do you come from Bella? Smile
do you watch TV or only DVD´s or smth else?
Elisabeth
Elisabeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella171901 Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:22 pm

we don't have tv channels. But tons of videos and dvds. My mom has tv at work and she says its not worth a damn.
I don't miss is it at all, besides from news. It's really hard to keep up.
Bella171901
Bella171901

Back to top Go down

Post by Elisabeth Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:50 am

that´s whay I listen to radio very often, I love the music and keep up with news Smile 
Elisabeth
Elisabeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum