The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heart of Obsidian book discussion thread. SPOILER HEAVY!!

+21
Bella171901
ferdy
Katherine
ConvertMePlease
burns_erin
Road
kthestrange
Miana
Rob
Elaine
tlgopal969
U.J
Yurice
anja-shirin-shari
syaffolee
CassB
TracyTheOncer
tabitha
TheFLuff
Jane
Roxsan
25 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Heart of Obsidian book discussion thread. SPOILER HEAVY!!  - Page 6 Empty Re: Heart of Obsidian book discussion thread. SPOILER HEAVY!!

Post by CassB Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:07 pm

So, I very much enjoyed the book. I read overnight and I hope to a do clearheaded re-read soon. Few things I want to mention. I hope we get more insights into Kaleb and Sahara in later books, I want to see how they work day-to-day. I also want to know what Sahara decides to do with her life (besides be with Kaleb), she mentions to Faith and Mercy something about it but it is never resolved. I understand the focus on Kaleb and Sahara in this book but I missed the returns to other characters we have had in the last few books.

Nalini mentioned in one of the lead-up interviews that the next character would be clear and the only person that seems to be set-up for a story in HoO is Xavier and his Nina. No other characters seem to be set-up for a potential HEA. The Arrows are a part of the story, but I didn't really get a "oh, you're next" feeling from any of their scenes. I definitely got that vibe for Xavier and I wasn't super excited about it. It never occured to me that Xavier would be a main character (although I guess it makes sense) and I am not psyched for a human/human pairing. And I am not sure how Xavier and Nina would move the main arc along. Did anyone else get this feeling for Xavier or someone else?

Oh, I guess the city on the cover is Hong Kong!
CassB
CassB

Back to top Go down

Heart of Obsidian book discussion thread. SPOILER HEAVY!!  - Page 6 Empty Re: Heart of Obsidian book discussion thread. SPOILER HEAVY!!

Post by Rob Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 pm

I dunno CassB I think Vasic is next, he's broken, he & Aden were privileged to see Kaleb & Sahara's bond, Sahara feels for him. Or Aden but I'm inclined to think Vasic.

Rob

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Although I've got to read it again. That was only my first impression, but no one else stood out for me and certainly not Father Xavier. That's kinda like giving Alice her own book.

I'm excited about seeing more of Sahara. I think she'll grow into her character and her relationship and I'm not sure why a couple of the reviewers who got an ARC thought Kaleb was cold and unemotional and never warmed up from their POV through the whole book. I thought it screamed his emotion and inner pain (just about gave me a headache) and the only reason I stopped reading was because it was 2am in the morning and I needed sleep.

Rob

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:48 pm

tabitha wrote:Boo, where did you get yours from Rob?

I sent a message to your PM box Tabitha

Rob

Back to top Go down

Post by syaffolee Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:29 pm

Rob wrote:the only reason I stopped reading was because it was 2am in the morning and I needed sleep.

Heh. I made it to 3am before I conked out.

I, too, thought that the most obvious clues point to Xavier and Nina as the main characters in the next book. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. On one hand, I'm really interested in how Nalini would spin a human/human pairing in a (up to now) primarily psy/changeling world. On the other, I have no idea how that's going to help tie up the loose ends of the first story arc (if indeed what Nalini said about having 2-3 more books for the arc after HOO is true). But I can see Vasic being in the next book as well. Near the end, it says, "Perhaps Aden had sold his Arrows short. Perhaps salvation could come for even the most broken among them."

Overall, I really enjoyed Heart of Obsidian. I recently read one review that remarked that Kaleb was actually the beta member of the couple, and I think I have to agree with that. Even though he's the most dangerous and powerful man in the world and despite his possessiveness, everything he does is for Sahara. He was at her beck and call instead of the other way around. Aside from the great romance, Nalini does world building and plotting very, very well. To me, she's one of the few authors in PNR who manages to integrate all of that successfully. She answered quite a few questions in this book and I was pretty pleased that my deductions on a number of things weren't completely off the mark.

syaffolee

http://www.gamalei.net/syaffolee/

Back to top Go down

Post by Yurice Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Xavier is going to the mountains to meet his Nina. It sounds like a remote place, it wouldn't have mattered if he's Psy...so I can't see how it would be a 'strategic' place for the next book. So...maybe we'll hear about them in the next arc. Smile

What I got, is Aden and Vasic's. The focus on the next book would be eliminating Ming, so there'd be more of Judd, Sienna and Hawke. At least, this is what I hope. Smile
Yurice
Yurice

http://hawke-sienna.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Miana Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm so happy that my Google tips helped you guys! Smile

I actually think the next book will be about either Aden or Vasic. If my count is right (I inhaled the whole book in like 5 hours), there were only like 5 POVs in the book: Kaleb, Sahara, Vasquez, Anthony, and Aden.

Kaleb and Sahara have had their story now. We all know what happens to Vasquez, and I highly doubt Anthony gets his story.

So I'm banking on either Aden or Vasic. Plus, Kaleb thinks that both he and Sahara agree that Aden will be a powerful ally if he can trust them. And there's Aden hoping that the Arrows can make it after all. Yeahhh, it's got to be either Aden or Vasic Smile

Miana

Back to top Go down

Post by syaffolee Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Yeah, I agree Aden or Vasic would be the logical choice. (Besides, I just want to see a showdown with Ming. That would be epic.)

What threw me was that the Xavier/Nina thing was written in its own section. It seemed kind of random at first glance, but I also know that things included in the series almost always serve a purpose. Or maybe I'm overthinking things. Smile

syaffolee

http://www.gamalei.net/syaffolee/

Back to top Go down

Post by Miana Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 pm

I think Nalini wrote about Xavier because she wanted him to get his happy ending. I mean, he's been a minor character for quite a few books now, and he's missed his Nina for a long while. So it's a good way to let him have his happy ending Very Happy

Miana

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:46 pm

If there are 2-3 books before Nalini finishes this story arc you gotta figure what Xavier and Nina will bring to the next book. I think they'll be in it, just not as the main h/h.

Yes to SD & Ming, that's not done yet after all he provided the pure psy with their bombs and ammo and isn't Shoshanna still lurking around somewhere? Marshall, Henry and Santano are done and dusted and Tatiana's in lock down like forever. Nikita is growing on me, I'd like to see her meet Naya, after all she and Anthony are on team Kaleb now and they don't support silence anymore.

Since Nalini is in the US this week I hope she has another epiphany on the plane on her way home and starts the outline for the next book. Its a 14hr trip she can even do a rough draft. Heh!

Rob

Back to top Go down

Post by Miana Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:52 pm

Plus, we have to see more of Alice's recovery. Nalini wouldn't bring her in so late (book 10) if she didn't have a purpose. Maybe Alice will help the Psy find their feet in the new society? Some people seem to think that she'll hook up with either Aden or Vasic.

Miana

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherine Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Miana wrote:I think Nalini wrote about Xavier because she wanted him to get his happy ending. I mean, he's been a minor character for quite a few books now, and he's missed his Nina for a long while. So it's a good way to let him have his happy ending Very Happy

True, but he ain't got it until he's *got* it. First he's gotta win her back.

So my vote is for Xavier.
Katherine
Katherine
Admin

https://nalini.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tlgopal969 Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:03 am

In regards to Xavier and Nina I think she might not be human. Near the end the way Kaleb and Judd were both talking about already porting to the village where they all thought she now was suggested to me that Xavier is in for a real surprise. I believe they both said that Xavier should find this out for himself. Whatever they saw it is.

tlgopal969

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherine Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:16 am

Her being alive (and still single) wouldn't be surprising enough?
Katherine
Katherine
Admin

https://nalini.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tlgopal969 Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:12 am

To me that would be a happy surprise but the way I interpreted their conversation it sounded much more serious. I'm actually rereading it so I'll if I get the same impression this time.

tlgopal969

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxsan Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:48 am

Alright, here's some Aden and Vasic scenes, as per request Smile

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Roxsan
Roxsan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:18 am

Roxsan wrote:Alright, here's some Aden and Vasic scenes, as per request Smile

Spoiler:

Yep, that´s my boys.

That so totally is my boys!
And the reason I have been adoring them since HtP.
Aren´t they just...

Is there anything about their bond in HoO?

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxsan Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:40 am

Nothing comes to mind off the top of my head. Aden is still trying to protect Vasic from himself though.

Spoiler:
Roxsan
Roxsan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 am

Roxsan wrote:Nothing comes to mind off the top of my head. Aden is still trying to protect Vasic from himself though.

Spoiler:

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Neutral Shocked I love you silent pale bounce

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxsan Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:53 am

On that note, I think Vasic's story may be next. He's very close to breaking point, so I think it's going have to be now or never.
Roxsan
Roxsan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFLuff Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 am

i know, it has been for two books now and she has been placing him in the foreground more and more.

unless, of course, she kills him off.

But if she didn´t in this book, she wont.. I think.
Might die killing Ming though.
Or... something.

*bounce*

good thing, I´m a cool, mellow person

*bounce*
*bounce*

TheFLuff

Back to top Go down

Post by tabitha Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:47 am

Having read the book over the last four hours, I have to say I love Kaleb as much as Judd if not more, he won me over the minute he and Sahara touched.

What can I say I like my men dark and twisty and Kaleb is like the alpha of that Very Happy

I love Sahara too she is the perfect mate, I would have loved to have seen more of her interaction with Dark River and Anthony though.

For me the romance was just a fraction off Judd and Brennas but better than many of the others.

Nalinis world building is awesome as always.

There was just enough of Aden and Vasic to give me hope that the Arrows story is what is coming next alongside Xaviers and Ninas.

My prediction for the next couple is Aden and Alice. I think Xavier has a child Smile
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Post by Jane Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:30 am

I absolutely adore this book. Kaleb is such a complex character. And the love he has for Sahara, it's just amazing. I mean I love, love, love, Hawke and Sienna, but Kaleb and Sahara are a close second.

tabitha wrote:There was just enough of Aden and Vasic to give me hope that the Arrows story is what is coming next alongside Xaviers and Ninas.

My prediction for the next couple is Aden and Alice. I think Xavier has a child Smile

Yes! I also think Xavier has a child, but I'm not really excited to know more about him... we don't know him that much for me to be excited with his story. I would like to know if he got a happy ending, but in a novella or something. Not a full book.
But I do think the next book is about Vasic and Alice, because I think Sahara is going to help Alice with her memories and everything that happened before. And Since she will need a transporter to go to Alice, Vasic will spend some time with her... hopefully Smile
Nalini said she would tell who the next protagonist were, does anyone know? As she said anything about the next book yet?
Jane
Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by CassB Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 am

I love how others' comments get my juices flowing. It makes perfect sense that the surprise would be Xavier's child. I think Xavier will be a thread in the next book or two, I hope it is a subplot. I think one of the Arrows has to be next main. Silence is over but the PsyNet is very unstable. I think that has to addressed and I don't see how a human in South America is going be a large part of that (I still do get the your story is next vibe from them, however). But Nalini said in an interview that she would be willing to tell us who is next after HoO comes out, so hopefully we find out soon.

Someone commented on Amazon that the troubles Vasic has with his arm implant could be the set-up to his HEA and that makes sense to me. The person who commented thought that would mean a Psy heroine and it could, but Changelings and humans have a lot of tech smarts. I used to be sold on Vasic and Alice, but ever since someone mentioned Aden and Alice together, that is who I see.

And it again makes perfect sense that Sahara will be able to help Alice. But Sahara wouldn't need Vasic to transport her, she has Kaleb Smile
CassB
CassB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jane Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:48 am

CassB wrote:And it again makes perfect sense that Sahara will be able to help Alice. But Sahara wouldn't need Vasic to transport her, she has Kaleb Smile

Yes, but Kaleb can be busy... so Vasic (or Aden, though I think it's Vasic because he is at the edge so, it makes sense) and Alice can spend time together and heal each other Razz
Besides, we need to see Hawke and Sienna again because they have to kill Ming! Twisted Evil
Jane
Jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next