The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

+25
Elisabeth
Lulu2011
TheFLuff
Bella171901
Sycorax
KTL
Grainne
BlueQueen
monadh
FashionSparkles
kitarad
catikins
Daliah
Sarah18
tabitha
devilsworld
Nicole
MissRia
Nina
Rageane
Schainize
Serena
Patricia
TracyTheOncer
twixter_tea
29 posters

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. - Page 5 Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by Patricia Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:25 am

There is no real translation for that, I think oô.
I mean.. the word has actually NO real meaning except to express either love or, in my case, the sarcastic version of love. mwuaha.

(But it's not like.. Darling = Liebling etc.)
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. - Page 5 Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by FashionSparkles Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:11 am

Hey Everyone flower

So i decided to join in into this conversation since it looks so fun!

I have some AMAZING books to recommend (well at-least I am in love with them:P)

I definitely, strongly recommend you check out Katie MacAlister & her "Dragon Series" i completely fell in love with the books when I started reading them couple of years ago! They were very amusing, smokingly sexy and overall very enjoyable books! LOVED them to pieces (especially Gabriel and May! ) ahhhh

Besides that Lori Foster has some pretty amazing books my favorite so far is (Jaimie!) + I believe it had a touch of paranormal in it and Jamie could see the future and etc.etc. I really enjoyed this book!

Hmm who else...OMG Alexandra Ivy has some awesome books! I recommend them also!

Lastly I strongly recommend you check out Nina Bruhns, I just recently read a couple of her books and I am strongly enjoying her series. I especially loved her book A Kiss to Kill. Its very action filled and keeps a fast pace through the entire book! I strongly recommend you check her out!

If you want any more suggestion I will definitely post more Razz

P.s HAPPY EASTER! Yeaaay Smile

FashionSparkles
FashionSparkles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah18 Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:20 am

FashionSparkles wrote:
I definitely, strongly recommend you check out Katie MacAlister & her "Dragon Series" i completely fell in love with the books when I started reading them couple of years ago! They were very amusing, smokingly sexy and overall very enjoyable books! LOVED them to pieces (especially Gabriel and May! ) ahhh

Love Katie MacAlister and her Dragons I love you Aisling is an awesome heroine and when she´s having these ridiculous talks with Jim I always had to laugh out loud, so people stares at me like I´m crazy
Gabriel and May just started here in Germany (second book will be released in two weeks), but they are fun as well
Sarah18
Sarah18

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:52 am

Katie MacAlister.
I read one of the Dark Ones-books and didn't like it much. I guess now I wouldn't even finish the thing, although I'm not quite sure about it, since I never read it afterwards again.

Anyone of you read one of those? Are the Dragonbooks better? And if there is someone who read them in German and English, is it important to read it in the original language or not? I read the Dark Ones-book in German, so it is a possibilty that I only disliked it because of its translation.

Speaking of translations, I love Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs), although I'm kinda sad that it's not as urban-fantasy as other series are. Mercy only has this one man in her life and although there are some competitors, in the end it always comes down to Adam and her (Oh, Stefan, I hope you get a spin-off-series.. hottie that you are). Also, there is no sex.. too bad. Wink Well, what I wanted to say was, that I didn't enjoy the Alpha&Omega-series so far, which was written by Briggs, too, but did read it in German only (whereas I read Mercy in English). Did you gals like it? In comparizon is it as good as the Mercedes Thompson-series?
A friend of mine gave me the books - if I would've ordered them myself I probably would've bought the English editions. -- Now I'm wondering if I should (re)read them in English.. Hm.

Oh and I just finished the Kiss of Brimson by Lara Adrian.

They remind me of Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood-series in a way that's creepy.. I think some things are better written, like the rogues. And since I didn't read more than the first two books, she didn't have much a chance to fail :'D I mean, Ward did some mistakes and I sometimes hate her for that (which is unfair, but I guess it's a usual thing to happen. You love books, you trust the author to keep writing them in a way that get's you almost high.. Just to be put on Detox by mistakes like Ward did in the last books).
But then, I loved Ward's characters more till now. THere is more heartache, more drama, more.. Idk, more "more". Very Happy

Still, I have the first 8 books here, so I'm going to read them asap, even if they are "okay reads" (max 3/3.5 out of 5 stars) only until now.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by kitarad Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:46 am

Her aisling books are a riot and a half I laughed so hard my sides hurt.
kitarad
kitarad

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:16 pm

I just read (seriously, in the last two days) her "noble" series. Books 1 & 3 were HILARIOUS. I'm serious. I stayed up until 3 am reading Noble Intentions, waking my family up every time I laughed. Gillian and Noble are really well done characters. Book 2 wasn't much good. Book 3 (The Trouble with Harry) was almost as good as the first book.

I also just read her book "The Corset Diaries." It was a little hard to get into but well worth it in the end.

*goes off to eat Easter candy* Nom nom nom...

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Oh yeah, Patricia - snookiepoo means absolutely nothing in English either. I was wondering if was one of those words English umm imported from German and it changed over the years into something different. I'm a language nerd. That type of thing fascinates me Smile

Sorry if that doesn't make sense! I'm on a new migraine medicine and it's starting to make me feel sorta ummm groovy, lol.

Shocked What a Face bounce drunken <- how I feel right now.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Hey, I'm on Bupropion and Lorazepam, totally get what you're saying afro

Funny that you mention your language-nerdyness. I started to google some languages, because I think I want to finally learn French. :> I mean, they are practically my neighbors. Rude of me not to learn the language, riight? (So I actually have to learn a dozen other languages, too, because Germany has lots of neighbors xD Ah, nevermind..) But I'm not so sure about it. I would like to speak eg Spanish or Italian, too. Dunno which language'd be better for me. Help, someone!? (Btw, I only remember two sentences in Latin, one of them being "Mater tua se non lavat." Well and the obvious ones, of course. But seriously, I need "Mater tua se non lavat" way more than I need Veni, Vidi, Vici or Carpe Diem. :> I once picked up some other sentences, but huh.. )

I guess, snookiepoo = Schnuckieputzi after all. Very Happy

Hm! I think I'm going to give MacAlister a second chance, then. Btw, any of you read Julie James's books? I so fell in love with her. I actually don't read non-fantasy-books, but she's such a wonderfull writer! (Glad that a fellow bookblogger bullied me into reading it!)

Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:36 pm

I'd go for Spanish, but I'm a bit biased. Spanish is the second language of choice in the US so I've taken lots of classes in it. Besides, with a basic knowledge of Spanish you can sort of decipher Italian. Romance languages are awesome that way, bwahaha!

Just don't learn Dutch - then you might have to eat those nasty aniseed cookies I'm forced to eat at holidays Wink. Nasty, brick-like things.

Btw, did you basically say "Your mom stinks" in Latin? It's been a while since I've read any Latin...

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:23 am

"Mater tuam se non lavat"= Your mother does not bathe = your mother stinks ...very good Nina! It's been a while since I could use my Latin in a non- university related manner.
A latin saying I really like: Post coitum omne animale triste est. ( I think it's from Ovid, but I'm not sure)
Serena
Serena

http://serenareads.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:36 am

Meh, I forgot the M! Kill me already. Just do it. Very Happy:D:D

Wahahaha, what the fuuck. I didn't know that one. Dunno who said that.. Hm.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:00 am

Serena- I read that and thought "there's no way I got that right!" So, I looked it up... and I had gotten it right. What the heck Ovid!

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Nina, I felt the same way. I was like:

Post coitum - Oh that's a nice start. rofl

omne animale - Aha?! O.Ô Oh my, what's the punch-line, what's the punch-line..

triste est - Omg, whahahaha. xD
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Yeah, he must have been either really astute or a defeatist. Laughing

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Are there any Georgette Heyer fans here? I just finished my second GH book (I've read The Grand Sophy & Sprig Muslin) and am pretty amazed at how real her characters seem.

Ebooks are seriously biting into my real-book-reading time. I've read 10+ ebooks in the same time it has taken me to read 7 pages of a "real book" I really want to read (Dune). Something about the format must be addicting... *puts on conspiracy theory hat*

Now I'm off to read Cordelia's Honor... in ebook format. I'm hopeless.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:24 am

I think he got it right. Either the "animal" is sad because sex was bad or it was good and it's sad that it's already over Very Happy

I've read two books from Georgette Heyer because I really like books based in the Regency. I read them in German and the translation was horrible. I need to read them in English.
Serena
Serena

http://serenareads.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:37 am

Nina, you're not alone!
I got two "real" books for review, but I don't get into them (although I still have 4 months time to review them, so it's not that a big deal.. harhar) and then, I turn around and there he lies. My eReader (yes, it's a he!).

There is a commercial in Germany, Idk if there are similiar ones in other countries. Well, it's about a dating-website/board. And the last thing the woman says is: "eDarling changed my life." - And I'm always like.. Oh yes, fuck you! eReader changed my life Mad .

It's horrible. Whereever I am, whatever I originally wanted to do or read (in a physical form) etc.. I end up with my eReader >_<

*shares her conspirancy cookies with everyone*

Oh and wtf, why does anyone need this emoticon: elephant ? I mean.. WHEN do you need an elephant?? o.o Like when you're trying to lose weight? "Hey girls, this week was bad, I feel like an *emotion here*." Or "My weight this month: *emotion here*" Or is it some kinky thing I don't get..

Then the "animal" has my attitude. I'm always like: Something good happens - Me: "OH but it will stop and then.." Something bad happens - Me: "OH something bad happened!" ----> In the end I'm always like this: " :< :'( :C ;____; or T_T " xD
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:43 am

Oh and a Midnight-Breed-update: The books I've read are far better than the first one, I think.
I'm currently reading the sixth, Ashes of Midnight. Smile

Which book did you like best?

I wrote a quick review for Rios book, because I had some problems with understanding why I liked it so much, haha Very Happy
BUT I don't know which is my fav. And damn, I want to know what happens with Hunter.. Gr! I read that there will (?) be a book for him.. Is it already been written/published?

Spoiler:

Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by kitarad Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:15 am

Actually the Lara Adrian books the first one I did not quite like it. I hate books where they make the women close to begging for the guy to want them. I did not like how they made Gabrielle was it her name feel. Like he kept pushing her away. My favourite is the third book with Tegan and Elise. To be honest he was pushing her away too but she was a resourceful and interesting person and so was her back story.
kitarad
kitarad

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:08 am

Sonia, I don't like that either. I had problems with the stories from the beginning, one of them being how the women constantly had to beg the men to notice them. It simply didn't feel right. One book, okay. Even two books, considering how long the series is, but it was too much. Every men there didn't want to be in a relationship with the woman.

Not only is this a thing that shouldn't be written this way (woman wants man, man doesn't want woman at first, later he does, woman is okay with how he treats her -- I don't want to know what reading those books does to some women (and men)), it also get's boring after a while.

Still, I kind of enjoy the books now. I am comfortable in the world and want to know how it ends. Escpecially when it comes to the society of the Breed. I don't like how Elise could've been forced to live in the Darkhaven (without being able to go out for a walk etc.) by her brother-in-law, because she was a breedsmate (and her abilities). I also don't like how the other Breeds see the Order, although I understand that it's hard for them to see the Order in a better light, since they don't really try to appear "nicer", which'd help. -- They say they want to protect the others and yes, it's true, but they have to get how working WITH them could be an easier way to reach their goals..
Quite curious if Adrian will write something about all of this. I like my books with a slight dystopian touch, so if she wrote a bit more about those things.. who knows, she might become an auto-buy author one day.. Very Happy But until now it's just a "If I have some time and nothing else to do, I could read the book"-book.
This, btw, is another of my problems. It's too much romance and not enough paranormal. I want to know more about the world, I want to see it's members developing.

So, almost finished with book 6, going to read book 7 after that.

OH and: I know, I said I wanted to read Hunters book, but right now, I don't want to yet. I know his woman won't be the girl, but let me explain, before you think I'm a creep xD I want to know what's happening with him and Mira. Not in a romantic way (although I get why some people want that to happen, without being creeps. Because.. how old is Lucan? Well the agegap between him and Gabrielle is much bigger than the one between max-50-years-old-Hunter and I-have-no-idea-how-many-years-old-Mira. However, I don't really see that in my mind, because he's more like a protective uncle or something like that. Still, I can see the fanfic already oô :/ xD). I want to see what the both of them feel towards each other. I want him to be a father or anything for her, to depend on her. No idea if that's going to happen in his book (or already happened in book 7/Cool, but I just think he should have some more time..

Also, the woman that's going to be "his" breedsmate.. No idea why but right now I don't feel like I'm going to like her. Very Happy Hope that's going to change, though.
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by kitarad Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:19 am

Yes I felt it too the complete imprisonment he threatened Gabrielle with too. It was very horrible the way the breedmates are like property and not really people with rights of their own in the guise of for their own good. Which was why Elise intrigued me. She broke away and hunted the minions.

I don't know but I actually stopped reading the books I could not stomach it and I wonder do the later books improve. This is one of the reasons I gave up on the Carpathians too. I just could not stomach how the males overode the females and their points of view. Although some of her books were good and someone pointed this out to me when I contrasted it to the ghostwalker series that the Carpathian males were very old and they were used to ruling over the females and the ghostwalker series was not like that. I dislike it when males treat females almost child like they are required to protect and hold at all cost and which could mean just roughshodding the females' own wants and needs.

I am not so into kickass women although I initially loved Anita Blake from Laurell Hamilton's series before she descended into porn. Anita annoyed me also. I don't appreciate weak women nor do I like women who are very alpha like either. I did not like Indigo or Xhex to be honest. I like something in between like Cat or Eve Dallas . If you have read Kelley Armstrong her females are what I like those type of characters are the type I like. Independent ,strong but not obnoxiously so.
kitarad
kitarad

Back to top Go down

Post by monadh Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:35 am

I also consume all my "pulp fiction" intake in English, though English is only my third language, so to speak.
Mostly, nowadays I only buy my romance/fantasy/crime/thriller books by author, but it is very difficult to find new authors that I really like. I only discovered Nalini Singh last November when I had to wait at the airport for 3 hours and grabbed one of her books (Bonds of Justice) from the shelf there. Naturally in the meantime (in about 4 weeks, all in all), I got all her Psy/Changeling books (not the novellas, though) and also the first three of the guild series.
I'm a really big fan of Christine Feehan's Carpathian series and also her leopard series but agree that some of the males are just too domineering, especially Gregori; but I love the emotinal intensity of her novels and I really liked her last one, Dark Slayer, which has a very atypical hero for Feehan.
I used to love Anita Blake, too, like the first 8 installments, and though I like explicitly detailed sex scenes, Hamilton writes only those with absolutely no plot whatsoever anymore. Also, Anita's Catholic guilt has begun to wear off a long time ago...
There are quite a few authors I used to like, but some of them have somehow lost their freshness. I don't delude myself; I read "pulp fiction" exactly for the repetetiveness and for predictability of the plot, but there has to be some variation and when I start mixing up characters because they are so much alike, then it's time to move on to s.th else.
I used to like the early Regency novels Jayne Ann Krentz wrote under her pen name Amanda Quick. In my opinion she is the one of the modern romance authors who has come closest to Georgette Heyer, who, in fact is incomparable. Unfortunately she only wrote around 40 Regencies (which I have all read several times, favorites being (These Old Shades, The Grand Sophie, Venetia, Frederica, Faro's Daughter, The Talisman Ring, Lady of Quality, Black Sheep... oh, I love them all). I also like her crime novels, but they are less good than her Regencies; my favorite is "Behold, here's Poison", with Randall the Snake. Crimewise I like Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti and for a Futuristic thriller there is none better than J. D. Robb's In Death series: Roark and Eve rock, they have great chemistry and the supporting characters are pretty awesome, too. I have also been following Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan series, but it is getting just a little bit too out there. I love Anne Stuart, but she is definitively not for everybody, very dark and just a bit twisted, but she can make the reader crave even the most monstrous and cold antihero; my favorite of her books is "Moonrise" (you either love or hate it), I enjoyed her Ice series and she has also written Historicals. One of my alltime favorites is Anne Bishop's "Black Jewels Trilogy", though she should have let the "end" in Queen of the Darkness stand and not continue to write spin-offs of that world...
I also liked Kenyon in the beginning, my favorite being "Dance with the Devil" (Zarek is just so scarred), but since her writing has been going downhill even before Bad Moon Rising; the last thing I read by her was "Acheron" (I just couldn't help myself)
I tried Lara Adrian, don't remember which book, I hated it and can't understand what people see in it
That's all I can think of off the top of my head...
I would be glad to get some recommendations for Vampire/Shapeshifter books with some idea of the "feel" they have. I like dark, intense, tortured heroes, but they should also have control of their emotions (at least most of the time). Heroines should be feisty and be able to hold their own (can be kick-ass), but Indigo got a bit on my nerves, too, they way she was always reading a dominance challenge into each and every of Drew's actions...

monadh

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:42 pm

Oh and wtf, why does anyone need this emoticon: ? I mean.. WHEN do you need an elephant?? o.o Like when you're trying to lose weight? "Hey girls, this week was bad, I feel like an *emotion here*." Or "My weight this month: *emotion here*" Or is it some kinky thing I don't get..
Let's say it's a kinky thing. That makes it funnier. The elephant now has a purpose! Lol, I do know that in Japanese media an elephant head is placed in front of *cough* um certain bits of naked male anatomy. I remember them using it in the comedy program "Gaki no Tsukai."

I couldn't read any more than the first Midnight Breed book. You know how when you read a book you really like you have an image of what the characters look like? Like, say, Judd - I have a very specific image of him in my head (<- this was just a blatant excuse to mention Judd. Bwahaha Twisted Evil) Anyway, as I was reading the Breed book I noticed that suddenly I had Zsadist, Vishous, and Rhage prancing about the Breed compound instead of certain Breed warriors. Oh, well.

I got annoyed with the Anita Blake series. She just kept on getting all of these abilities and the whole ardeur thing... I don't know, it felt like an excuse for Hamilton to have her devout character have sex constantly. O_o

I'm about halfway through the first book in "Cordelia's Honor." It's good so far Smile Georgette Heyer's "The Masqueraders" is next. One day I will get past page 7 in "Dune." Poor thing, it can help being a "real book." I need to join some sort of support group for ebook addicts...

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:53 pm

I also have to think of the Brothers while reading Midnight Breed.

BUT I also had to stop reading Shiver for a few hours, because Sam and Grace reminded me of two of my best friends. Which was kinda.. creepy. I mean.. you know.. and then.. The same with Dimitri (Vampire Academy). I have a friend who reminds me of him. And I have a huge Dimitri-crush (although this friend is like a brother to me and I wouldn't like him in any other way even if he was the last male on earth). So this one day I'm walking down the street or something.. no, I think I was in a story.. No idea, well, however I was thinking about Vampire Academy, because I had just finished the fourth book and then he's all "OH Patricia, hey, what'cha doing here?" And I was like: "Omg, just go away, it's awful enough that you had sex with Rose and I had to read it!!"

So, thinking about other characters? Okay. Thinking about your best friends? -> elephant
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Did you actually say it out loud? That would be awesome. Laughing

I don't think I've ever thought of characters looking like people I know. That would be really, really unnerving. Now I'm starting to think of people who look like characters. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

*mutters to self* Zsadist and my uncle look nothing alike. Zsadist and my uncle look nothing alike. *bangs head on table*

PATRICIA!!! Mad
Wink

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next