The UNOFFICIAL Nalini Singh Fan Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

+25
Elisabeth
Lulu2011
TheFLuff
Bella171901
Sycorax
KTL
Grainne
BlueQueen
monadh
FashionSparkles
kitarad
catikins
Daliah
Sarah18
tabitha
devilsworld
Nicole
MissRia
Nina
Rageane
Schainize
Serena
Patricia
TracyTheOncer
twixter_tea
29 posters

Page 6 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next

Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. - Page 6 Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by Patricia Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Your uncle! LMFAO! Ahahahahaha xDD
Sorry! xD
And sorry for laughing, as well. Omg, I can't.. whew.

That must suck. I mean.. Zsadist.. and a family member.. Omg.
Well, better don't start thinking about Judd, then.

Yep, I did say it. Although I guess not exactly like above. But well, he knows.. knew me well, I think it was as normal to him as "Hello" is to other people.

The thing with my two friends and Shiver's worse. Because right now, in real life, "Grace" is with "Sam". Two weeks. Sleeping in his room. When he get's a hard-on as soon as he hears her voice. And she's so innocent *sobs*. Oh my "Grace", don't you let him do elephant-things! Come back to me! *cries* Don't let him ruin the book! (Yes, it't not about her virginity, it's about my reading experience, so what?)
Patricia
Patricia

http://bookexhibitionism.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read. - Page 6 Empty Re: Other Awesomely Awesome Books We've Read or Want to Read.

Post by Nina Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Lol! You have your own live movie version of the books going on. You should eat popcorn when you're with them!

It's weird that Zsadist/Uncle was the first to come to my mind. I think it must be because he's bald and has a gaunt face. I guess in my mind male+gaunt face+bald=Zsadist. New math.

Luckily, I don't know anyone I could think of as Judd. Or maybe it's not so lucky. I'd like to be around a Judd lookalike (<- whoa, it's one word, not hyphenated! O_o ). *insert elephant thoughts here*

As long as he wasn't a relative. That would be sad.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:02 am

Haha, reminds me of "Just the Sexiest Man Alive" (Julie James) when Jason & Taylor have a fight at hers. Her two friends from Chicago and his best friend are there, too, but the two of them don't notice that. Then suddenly Taylor notices her friends and one of them, Kathy? I have no idea, well she's eating M&Ms. The other one tries to get her away, so that Taylor and Jason can continue their fight in private, but Kathy says something like: "No, what, but this shit is better than Greys Anatomy!"

Oh yes, as long as it isn't.. Brr. xD Hope you got your uncle out of the Zsadist-picture!
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:03 am

Btw, thank you of reminding me of Zsadist non-existing hair, now I always see my ex-stepfather as him. That your revenge? :<
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:37 am

No, wait YES! It was revenge! Now you will fear my amazingly awesome mind-reading powers! Bwahaha!! Twisted Evil

I can never decide if Zsadist is completely bald. Ward calls it a skull trim, but what does that really mean? A very short buzz cut? A shaved head? I tried to look up "skull trim" once but google doesn't believe in them. I just got a bunch of pictures of goth graphic t-shirts. I will continue to think of Z as a buffer, cuter, scarred Prison Break guy. Smile

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Me, too! :3

Oh and do that again and it's going to come back and bite you in the ass! :<
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Crimewise I like Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti
Finally! Someone who knows who Brunetti is. I was almost ready to give up this forum Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Whaaat? *Feels insulted* ;p
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Is there anyone here who is really into sci-fi? I'd love some suggestions.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah18 Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:08 am

Nina wrote:Is there anyone here who is really into sci-fi? I'd love some suggestions.

Does Matrix count?? Love that movie, although I´m still not understanding the whole two worlds-thing...
Guess, this reality is the Matrix, what creepy things are happening in the "real" reality?? pale
Or Star Wars?? I haven´t seen all the movies yet and my brother lend our DVD-set to a friend (that was 6 months ago Mad ) and - I don´t want to see Hayden Christinsen turn all evil. Had a huge crush on him when I was 12 years old and he still have a part of my heart
Oh, now that I thought back to those days, I remember I only saw the movies because of him:oops:

No, sorry Nina I don´t think I´m a match for you
Sarah18
Sarah18

Back to top Go down

Post by twixter_tea Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 pm

kitarad wrote:Yes I felt it too the complete imprisonment he threatened Gabrielle with too. It was very horrible the way the breedmates are like property and not really people with rights of their own in the guise of for their own good. Which was why Elise intrigued me. She broke away and hunted the minions.

I don't know but I actually stopped reading the books I could not stomach it and I wonder do the later books improve. This is one of the reasons I gave up on the Carpathians too. I just could not stomach how the males overode the females and their points of view. Although some of her books were good and someone pointed this out to me when I contrasted it to the ghostwalker series that the Carpathian males were very old and they were used to ruling over the females and the ghostwalker series was not like that. I dislike it when males treat females almost child like they are required to protect and hold at all cost and which could mean just roughshodding the females' own wants and needs.

Kitarad...this probably took a while but that whoooole post that you wrote was EXCATLY how I FELT. I hated how the breedmates were treated. I honestly felt like the author herself wanted to be treated like the breedmates in her story. I didn't like it. I mean, yeah...women in general like to be adored but when it comes to the point...we're treated like property....

I HATED THAT. And honestly I gave up on the Carpathians as well.

I LOVE paranormal romance, but most paranormal romance ends up with the author making this heroine who wants to be equal and in love....and in the end she is in love but she's not equal...and that's not important because now she has her mate. ANNOYS ME. It's worse when the male characters have to FORCE protection on the female characters during a major crisis scene. UGH. Major TURN OFF. I don't care how extremely attractive and sexy the male lead is...if he's going to act the Tarzan with me, I will have no choice but to burn the book in a large bonfire.

Sorry. I had to get that off my chest. *PHEW*
twixter_tea
twixter_tea

Back to top Go down

Post by twixter_tea Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:58 pm

Nina, a skull trim is like a really close shave. Not bald, but ALMOST. Like those army buzz cuts the Marines get. At least that's what my brother tells me. Smile
twixter_tea
twixter_tea

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Yes! My image of Zsadist is complete, lol.

Thanks, twixter. You have no idea how much that has bugged me. Smile

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun May 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Ah! Okay, thank you, Ruby! Smile

My PC's still in recovery, so to speak and I'm currently using my mother's laptop. At least I got my ebooks back, yay!

I'm currently hearing the audiobook-version of Jacquelyn Frank's Elijah (although I'm almost finished with it, only an hour or so to go and I'm listening to it while I'm writing that.. Multitasking, yo!), after that I'm going to read Damien and Noah (epub format, finally again!).

Latest reads are:

Lara Adrian – Midnight Breed 02-07
Kresley Cole – Immortals After Dark 02
Sherrilyn Kenyon – Dark Hunter 03 – 05
Jacquelyn Frank - Nightwalkers 01-02
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sun May 01, 2011 3:35 pm

I read the first Immortals After Dark book (really liked it) but I haven't read any of the others. I've been told that the main couples suffer from Rhage/Mary syndrome - they get a book and then they disappear for the most part. Is it like that?

For some reason, I'm okay with that in BDB. Probably because it is crack and I'm an addict.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun May 01, 2011 4:49 pm

The Rhage/Mary syndrome -laughs-

Haha, that's hilarious, but huh, I have no idea about that. I'm goint to read the first book later this night (ha!) soo.. I read the second one first, because a friend gave it to me. But even if, I don't really care much about that if the couple isn't too important to me.

I think the Vaughn/Faythe syndrome is far worse than the Rhage/Mary-syndrome. The latter at least got a few moments here and then.. Sometimes.. Not often.. But still.. :> I think they'll get more time sometime soon, because well, Ward seems to do that lately. First Wrath and whatshername, then V and Jane.. And now, there's the thing: Mary want's a baby and can't get pregnant.. I think in the BellaxZsadistxNala-story someone says that she said that she'd even want Rhage to sleep with one of the .. um, what's the word in English? The girls in white who lived with the Scribe Virgin.. Well, with one of those women.

Still, I'd like to know if the couples get forgotton soon or not.. Hm. Someone, help us here?
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Sun May 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Well, Rhage & Mary are getting a novella about the whole baby thing but other than that you just see Rhage take out a lesser here and there or some character mentions (for the bazillionth time) that Mary is a human therapist/counselor/whatever. At least Faith gets to do some badass future-seeing and has Anthony for a father. That gets her extra points, doesn't it? Win by relation to awesomely intriguing Anthony! Who cares that she's mated to what's-his-name... Vince... Vlad... Vaughn! ;P

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Anthony!!! *whooho-s around*
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Sun May 01, 2011 6:55 pm

Oh my, someone slap me!

I was goodread.com-ing and found out that the Aisling Grey series is called Dragon Love in Germany. No, that's not really interesting and actually showing how original we Germans are, cough, but the thing is, I wondered if I should buy the Aisling Grey series, when I have four books here already *head meets desk*. How can I be so stupid? -laughs-

Oh, wait, wait, I just had that thought! Um, does any of you know a book with someone who really is bad? You know, I'm right now writing an essay about relationships in books, b/c I'm interested in the thing and someone asked me to write something so she can publish it on her blog. However, I am now wondering if there is a book with a real badass-antihero. When I started my little list I thought of Barrons, but he is, in the end, not really a bad guy. He just -is- (btw I was once thinking of him when I was in public. So sad and emberassing how I always get all "Oh, do me, do me, do me" when I think of him.. He's not even a real person, ftw. >_<)

Algaliarept and Ceri's story'd be a good example if it ended different.. (- The Hollows). It freaks me out how authors always take some oh so alpha-guys and make them possessive etc. but make it look good. Also, I don't like how the whole alpha-guys are GOOD guys most of the time.

Hm, if someone has a recommendation, scream! Smile
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah18 Mon May 02, 2011 2:21 am

Patricia wrote:Oh my, someone slap me!

I was goodread.com-ing and found out that the Aisling Grey series is called Dragon Love in Germany. No, that's not really interesting and actually showing how original we Germans are, cough, but the thing is, I wondered if I should buy the Aisling Grey series, when I have four books here already *head meets desk*. How can I be so stupid? -laughs-

Haha, sorry Patricia I thought you´ve already recognized that, when I told you about the books... So blame me^^

Yeah, German-translations sucks Evil or Very Mad
Sarah18
Sarah18

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 am

Dragon Love!? I mean, seriously? It's an ENGLISH word!
I hate when German publishers change the original English title to another English one.
Who wouldn't get confused over that? :<
They love to change Stephen King-book-titles, too. Gr.
And the sequel to Beastly will be called Kissed or .. Crossed.. Or whatever, something like that, but NOT the right title.
How can.. Arg. I hate it. Period. *grumbles*

No, I don't blame you! Wink
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by kitarad Mon May 02, 2011 7:39 am

Kresley Cole is fabulous. The first book was very good because of the way he was truly angry and he tried so hard to make her pay. That scene on the balcony that was the turning point. It was a wonderful relationship and such a pairing.

My favourite though is Mariketa and Bowen. God that was a great book . Kaderin and Bastion too and not forgetting the ghostly one. I absolutely loved that demon chap with South African accent what was his name has escaped me now but that book had me laughing so much.

About the characters disappearing with the exception of Nix yes they do that but BDB it is worse because they live in the same place whereas the Immortals after Dark they are actually not physically around one another. You catch glimpses of them though.

Jacquelyn Frank only read the first book. Its is okay I do want to read it I will get around to it hopefully.

Kenyon I have read a lot of her books my favourite is the one on Valeries and Zarek. Zarek's book I wept. His book is like Zsadist. Ash of course absolutely floors me what I love about Kenyon is her whole concept and that makes her books unique but her later books and her dream series really suffers from having run out of ideas.Her first book in the Dark Hunter series the cover and the book description is honestly a huge turnoff. I saw that book all the time and I told myself I would never read it until I kept reading how awesome this series was so I was forced to finally read it and OMG was I totally wrong about the description and cover and how I thought it was one of the longer Ellora cave books. Not that Ellora cave sucks I have read some but I do jump over the sex a lot. I think the best thing about the book was Nick and Ash that relationship.

Last edited by kitarad on Thu May 05, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 4 times in total
kitarad
kitarad

Back to top Go down

Post by Patricia Mon May 02, 2011 7:47 am

I somehow came to find myself liking the second book the most (although I only read the first three one and will start reading the 4th, Damien, in a few minutes). That's such a strange thing, because Gideon and Legna are completely unlike me. Okay, well, thinking about it, I'm probably often like Gideon (which is sad, I know xD), but I didn't like how he treated her.
Actually I didn't like much in the book, but I liked the .. hm, the feelings? I liked how much I was into it. Weird thing.
Also, the inside-perspective-sentence and the wrapped up craving-scene were too good to hold a grudge against any of the characters.

You know, I just came up with this thought.. Legna is just an adult, so she's like 200-300 yrs old. Gideon is Ancient. They had the age-problem-discussions and I think Frank handled it a bit better than Singh did. Although she had it easier. Legna was after all an adult already. She was no virgin and she wasn't an X.. Lala, okay, just ignore this comparison. :>
Patricia
Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina Wed May 04, 2011 3:54 pm

I am sad right now - I just found out one of my favorite authors died over a month ago (Diana Wynne Jones) Sad

No more Howl. No more Chrestomanci. Crying or Very sad

This has been a bad year for awesome children's book authors! Brian Jacques died, too.

Publishers need to dole out vitamin C or something...

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Does any of you know a book with someone who really is bad?
I don`t know what kind of books/heroes/relationships you are looking for, but maybe these two can help? Try Heathcliff from Emily Bronte`s Wuthering Heights or Jason Compson from William Faulkner`s The Sound and the Fury. Maybe Heathcliff can be seen as a person who lost a part of himself when Cathy died, but his behavior towards other characters is terrible. Jason actually tells a chapter of the novel. You feel really bad when you finish it - as if something of his maliciousness passed over onto you.
Just a suggestion.
On the other hand, it seems to me that authors often find excuses for their main bad heroes` evil deeds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next